1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gun Control in America.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by s land balla, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I'm assuming in the utopian world that we live in a shootout at the OK Corral would kill zero people, and somehow kill the person wearing tactical armour.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Also in this utopian world cowboys obey the law and would not have guns........

3. Northside Storm

Also, LOL to the Chicago assertion---

http://winteryknight.wordpress.com/...-drop-after-gun-control-laws-are-struck-down/
    Guess what---

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...surges-as-new-york-s-drops-to-record-low.html

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...surges-as-new-york-s-drops-to-record-low.html

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Engaging multiple targets at medium range is not any kind of self defense people would need, unless they are in a war, which is why world military units would be equipped with them. Nobody is suggesting that military units not be allowed to use assault rifles. High capacity magazines aren't needed because nobody should need that many shots in a self defense situation.

5. Northside Storm

Why not? Even in an Utopia, it's always good have guns. Who knows what can happen *twilight zone music*

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Interesting. How many do we need, how many self defense situations did you base this estimate on, and how do you then define high capacity magazines?

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I define them as those that were once illegal under the assault weapons ban.

As far as what I based the self defense situations on, I base it on all of them, or almost all of them. Because none of the ones I've read about required that many rounds. Not one. If you have evidence of several then go ahead and post them. I'll be happy to take a look, and compare them to the scores of incidents where they weren't needed.

8. Northside Storm

you never know.

The Brits might come back!

We'll have the Second Amendment and the Third come back to haunt us.

(The Constitution protecting Americans from the horrors of sheltering soldiers in their home at peacetime not being an indication that it was written after redcoats tried to storm the nation for the English monarchy)

9. Bandwagoner

post a few of yours please

thnx

Also while you are at that give me the mean and standard derivative (estimated is fine)

I'll be interested to know what happens to people who encounter situations requiring more. SOL?

#129 Bandwagoner, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  10. da1

da1 Member

You can't be serious

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

OK, no problem.

This talks about women using guns in self defense.

http://www.2ndamendmenttv.com/video...sident-defends-his-home-from-three-teens.html

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/2...ching-three-younger-siblings/?test=latestnews

http://www.quicknewhavennews.com/?q...ects-after-being-attacked-subjects-flee-woods

There's more but those are a few. I went for specific ones rather than overall studies like those that show self defense often being used against people known to the would-be victim. Which of course would not require a high capacity magazine.

12. Bandwagoner

I edited my post, could you give me an mean and Std Dev?

13. Bandwagoner

Also, what is suppressive fire and why do you hate it?

14. southernjustice

southernjustice Contributing Member

I have a class 3 weapon permit :grin:

15. False

False Member

Hi, I'm looking for info on how the ability to purchase semi-automatic rifles makes us safer. Please direct me to peer reviewed research proving statistically significant increases in safety arrived at my multiple regression analysis. Thanks!

16. tallanvor

Citizens shouldn't have to justify ownership to the government. Government should have to justify bans to the citizens. In other words, show me the 'info' on how banning semi-automatics makes us safer. Thanks!

17. False

False Member

I'll give you an anecdotal example, guy walks into a dark packed movie theater and starts mowing down people using a semi-automatic rifle. This guy would have done less damage with a personal handgun. Burden shifts to you, show me how the ability to purchase semi-automatic rifles makes us safer. Please advise.

18. tallanvor

The guy had bombs in his apartment and tear gas. Eliminating the assault rifle would of done nothing. He would of slaughtered tons some other way (a shotgun). A hypothetical with a bunch of assumptions is not 'info'. Also, as previously stated, citizens shouldn't have to justify ownership to the government, it's the other way around, therefore the 'burden' never 'shifts to me'.

#138 tallanvor, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't think some of you realize how fun it is to shoot a gun -- shooting a 44 mag is like driving Shelby Cobra for a split second. It's literally a blast.

Imagine if you got to set off a thermonuclear bomb -- that's like driving a Bugatti Veyron flat out.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What I'm saying is that situations require more than standard magazines hardly ever happen if ever. I haven't seen examples of any. If I saw some, maybe I could speak to those situations.

Are you asking the standard amount a magazine holds?

Are you talking about how many cases of gun related self defense there are per year? I'm sorry, but I don't understand when you used derivative what it's being derived from. Clue me in, and I'll do the best I can to help.

In the mean time if you have numerous cases of people who had to have extended magazines in order to defend themselves then that would be great.