1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gun control - how about a little common sense?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Nov 1, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

5 Average number of child deaths in gun-related accidents or suicide EVERY DAY

Number of kids under 19 years old killed by guns EVERYDAY

Number of states in the US that allow ANYONE to purchase firearms without an ID or criminal background check

Percent of gun sales in the US occur without an ID or background check requirement

Percent of American households that contain both children and guns

Average number of Americans killed by guns EVERYDAY

Average number of annual firearmhomicides in the European Union (pop 376 million)

Average number of annual firearm homicides in the US (pop 282 million)

Average number of Americans killed by guns EVERY YEAR

$33,000
    Average medical cost (80% uninsured) of a gun related death

$300,000
    Average cost (80% uninsured) of a gun related injury

Average number of gun-related injuries EVERY YEAR

NumberUS service men and women killed in all Foreign Wars combined

Number of gun deaths in the US over the past 30 years

$4 million
    NRA contributions to George W. Bush's 2004 campaign

$18 million
    NRA contributions to Congressional candidates in the last four election cycles

$40 million
    NRA promised contributions to John McCain's 2008 Presidential campaign

$34 billion
    Annual US medical and productivity costs of gun injuries and deaths

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-rosenthal/us-gun-violence-by-the-nu_b_139879.html?view=print

Couldn't we at least limit gun shows, and have some background checks, and for crying out loud get rid of AK47s, AR15s, and other guns that can easily be converted to fully automatic.

DD

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wait until I get my AK47 and AR15

Then ban them .
    Honestly I'm not a gun nutt . .. I don't even own one
    I can see where one could enjoy shooting one etc
    [like motorcycling etc]

However - I think the Punishment for Assualt with a gun should be Upped.

Rocket River
    . . . and at the end of the day . . i just don't trust a situation where the only people with guns are criminals, cops and military

3. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

the CDC says your numbers are wrong.

4. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

As both an American and someone who is in Asia so often, I cannot understand why the US is so violent. I don't know if it's about holding guns or a cultural characteristic, but I do have the opinion that both perpetuate each other.

You need only go to any major Asian city (no guns), and you will see thriving night life every where every day of the week. Why is that? It's because there's very little violent crime and the cops are still in control. I feel like I could let my kids hang out late at night in Asian cities but not in the US. Anyone who knows what I'm talking about will wholeheartedly agree. Yet there are still Americans who need to argue that carrying guns is good for society - this issue is beyond common sense to me.

5. fmullegun

I think you have basically nailed it in your first thought. America is more violent. We have more violent deaths than other countries by all means not just guns.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm torn on a lot of gun related issues.

The cultural violence thing is a huge part of it.

Why the hell are we so violent? Whats going on?

Gun laws have been sluggish to catch up with the times, imo.

In a few decades we've seen the gun landscape change... but have the laws?

I'm usually not a proponent of "more laws" = "less crime"... but obviously something has to be done, because whats being done isn't working.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

I've moved on from guns: I want a tank. :D

8. fredred

fredred Member

Part of the problem is that we need a little common sense in the laws we currently do have. There are extreme loopholes and very arbitrary ways of classifying weapons. Also, railing against assault rifles or "machine guns" is rather pointless, there are very few incidents of those actually being used by criminals to commit crimes because they are expensive and very obvious.

Personally, as a foreigner, I still don't understand the American fixation with guns. To me, their one purpose is to kill, and as a nation we seem to be very good at using them on each other.

With that said, I think we need to do a better job of understanding what the threat and the problems actually are and what we can realistically do about them i.e. ban all handguns is never going to work. What I would like to see is, much like the tax code, a simplification of the laws (no felons may ever own a gun, no history of mental illness etc.) and a stringent enforcement of those laws. Meanwhile, allowing people to carry them, if properly trained and licensed is not inherently bad.

9. Landlord Landry

I have been meaning to bore sight my SKS, thanks for reminding me.

10. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

losing issue. big time.

the debate in america over guns is over.

ask the 1992-1994 democratic majority.

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Stat lists like these rarely turn out to be accurate. But for the sake of argument, would outlawing AK47s, AR15s etc change these stats sginificantly or otherwise?

Remember, a statistical case can be made for requiring gun ownership as well.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Not to anyone with a brain.

DD

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a great example of the deceptiveness here.

FEDERAL LAW requires everybody to undergo a criminal background check in all 50 states. 32 states don't require an additional state sponsored check. But they word it specifically to make it sound like something much more ominous - like in 32 states some psychotic multiple felon crack head can walk into a gun store pick up a gun.

Again, as soon as I hear arguments that don't rely on fear and hysteria it will be a first. A good indication of how much people are afraid of guns is how disproportionately they concern themselves with trying to outlaw the 'scary black military' guns.

I don't doubt your good motives DaDakota. I do doubt your fear induced ability to exercise rational judgement.

15. Landlord Landry

you are beyond hypocrisy.

16. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Because what we really need in America is gun duels by complete amateurs AMIRITE?

17. lpbman

lpbman Member

Take a good hard look at where the violence comes from and what can be done to bring it down.

As a proud gun owner I would be O.K. with additional rules as long as there is some common sense applied. The seriousness of owning a gun should be met with training and registration etc. You can't drive a car without a license but you can own a gun... there should be mandatory training for both. Banning things like pistol stocks on rifles and threaded muzzles is ridiculous and I'd be happy if the conversation stayed on "What will make a difference" vs "What do you need that for?".

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

THANK YOU !

DD

19. fmullegun

how about we do something about underage drinking and driving considering that driving is what is really killing our kids.

20. lpbman

lpbman Member

Sure!

What do you have in mind?