1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

guitar/thumb/bar chord question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Apr 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I've recently started playing the guitar (acoustic). I'm working on a couple songs with bar chords, radiohead creep acoustic, sitting waiting wishing, times like these (jack johnson). I keep missing a string, but I'm not worried about that, Im sure i'll get them eventually.

My question is about my thumb. I feel like I may be grabbing the neck too hard trying to play. Am i suppose to be grabbing it to hold the bar chord down, or is the froce to hold the strings down suppose to come mainly from my index finger?

2. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

It'll get easier once your index finger develops strength. Btw, what kind of clearance do you have between the strings and fret board.

When I'm practicing in front of the tube I play a cheap yamaha accoustic with 1/4 in. clearance. It's been great in helping me re-develop finger and hand strength. When I jump on my electric with excellent action, hoooooweeeee! Feels like I'm just barely touching the strings.

Give yourself lots of time!

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Most of the effort should come from your thumb. Think of your hand like a capo, make a thumbs up, and push the inside of the joint of your thumb perpendicularly into the neck.

4. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

For me, the thumb works as an anchor for bar chords. It is very common to mash the thumb against the back of the neck while learning the bar chords.

I think in the end you'll realize that with some more strength/dexterity in your index finger, the pressure on your thumb will let up.

Try Jack's song "Monsoon" to work on your bar chords. The intro chord pattern's an easy/good one for a beginner.

5. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

don't use thumb. use your index finger for bar chords. i know hendrix uses his thumb... just keep practicing.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Use your index finger, it'll hurt like hell for a while but keep practicing every day for 3 weeks and you'll be in good shape... just like riding a bike.

7. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

It's an Ibanez AEG20E, so whatever clearance comes stand on it. I asked the guy at guitar center about lowing the action, but he suggested just getting light strings. I assume medium strings came on the guitar, so i switched them out with light, and it's made it easier. Bar chords on the first and third fret arnt too hard, but once I get up to 7, 8, 9th fret, it becomes harder.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Kind of on topic about finger strength.

I've been playing a lot of Rush songs on Tap Tap Revenge 3 on the iPhone (it's sort of like rock band or guitar hero). I've actually noticed my finger strength improve when playing my real guitar and my coordination feels better and tighter. I used to have one of those finger exercise tools but those things kind of sucked. But, I'm finding the coordination needed to get big score in the iPhone game is actually helping my real guitar playing...because it's making my fingers do work they are not comfortable doing on the game and it's translating over to the real guitar fretboard in the way of strength and coordination. I've been playing guitar for years primarily as a hobby...so my finger strength wasn't bad before. But, damn, working that iPhone touch screen really helps.

Interesting.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Once you develop finger strength (by playing more and more), you'll find that the amount of pressure you need will become less. I remember when I was first learning how to play, I would actually get cramps in my hand from playing so much, and trying to learn all the chords. The more you play, the easier it will get.

Also, if the problem doesn't get better over the next few months, it may mean that the action (the gap between the strings and the fingerboard) may be too high on your guitar. If you still find it difficult to play in like 8 months or so, look into getting the action lowered.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

oh god I still remember all the hard callasses and painful fingers when I started out on acoustic. After a couple of months I switched to electric and never looked back.

I suggest you do the same OP, you can still get the acoustic sound by playing from the neck pickup and switching to clean settings. :)

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I play my Acoustic all the time.

If you can play acoustic reasonably well, you can play electric like a mother****er.

12. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Agree with this. Another thing that could help is the type of strings you are using. It will be easier to get it down with light strings, but thcker strings will obviously improve your finger strength.

As far as using your thumb to hold down the E string, I'm not sure yet. I've tried it a couple of times and its different, but I don't know if its better or worse.

Lastly, just keep using songs you like to practice. I use "Song to Sing When I'm Lonely" by John Frusciante.

13. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

that's true for most part. i use mostly 9's and 10's on electric. 13's on acoustic. but acoustic is just too boring to me. because of effects you can use on electric, there are certain technics that only applies on electric. like the use of whammy bar, dive bombs etc.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah we all know electric is way more badass as far as sound, but I enjoy playing my acoustic with heavy strings because it exercises my fingers daily, and since I've only been playing for about a year and a half I still find it tantamount to practice on my acoustic frequently.

Plus it makes my Ibanez a lot more fun to play.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

yea that is deff true. The first time I picked up and electric I was like holy crap this is easy to play. I no longer play acoustic but as the other poster said, its cool with affects like whammy, artificial harmonics etc...

16. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

the answer to your question, is the strength comes from both your steady, extended index finger AND the muscles right below the knuckle on your thumb (likely the ones that get sore the quickest). i've always been told the textbook thing to do is keep your thumb on the back of the neck, perpendicular to the frets to provide stable resistance but you will note that many guitarists bring their thumb up above and rest it on the neck, basically gripping the back of the neck with their inner palm. for strumming chords this can be adequate but you will probably have to stick to form more when playing polychords, and single notes intermittently.

mastering the index finger thing is about 80% of guitar. if you can keep that guy laying down on the tracks and move your other three fingers freely, you are golden.

17. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Thanks, and thanks to everyone else. My hand kept cramping, so I wasnt sure if I was doing it wrong. Sounds like Im doing it ribght and it just takes time to get the strenght/muscle memory.

Also doesn't help that I have hands of a hobbit.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm sorry to tell you this, but apparently the guitar isn't for you. I suggest picking up the flute.

:grin:

19. Bruce

Bruce Member

20. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

i own two martins and i couldn't love them more. as a brand itself, probably second only to taylor in terms of sound integrity. mine are a bit above that price range however, and i wouldn't advise spending less than 700 on a brand like martin, taylor, etc. the only real differences between the models are the wood used to make it, and at 300-600 you will get the cheapest they have. it would be like buying the cheapest lexus, simply for the brand. it would still have lexus on the front, but it would likely lack the bells and whistles that make a lexus so desirable. just my two cents.