1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guitar effects

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chicken Boy, Jan 25, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

I just got a decent deal on a US Big Muff Pi today. Long story short, I love it.

So for all you guitarists, what's your favorite effect? Along with the Muff, I am really into my Boss DD-6. Nothing like getting faded and making funny noises with that thing.

2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like delay pedals (so much that my friend Thadeus has called me Tom Delay - gotta love sharing a name with the Anti-Christ). My favorite delay is probably a Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man - I really like how you can add a subtle pitch bend to the delayed signal only. Makes everything sound fuller without that annoying chorus sheen. I also like longer digital delays with modulation functions - you can get really cool sounds out of these.

My Ibanez UE-305 has an analog delay that if set just right, will never stop repeating yet also won't go into the insane feedback that occurs when you set the feeback level too high. If you know what you're doing, you can create all kinds of cool ambient washes behind what you're playing.

I also have a Roland Jet Phaser that gets both incredibly sick fuzz sounds (think the lead sound on "Who's That Lady" by the Isley Brothers) and some really subtle phasing (almost like a UniVibe or Leslie). The only problem is that it does drop your volume level - I'm thinking of taking it in to a tech to remedy this.

I have a DOD Envelope Filter which can be used for the most insane bass boost if you set it right. The filter is only ok, but if you put the Sensitivity on '0', it boosts your frequency around 100 hz. You can literally go from a Flea/Marcus Miller sound to a Family Man Barret sound.

I have a couple of broken pedals that get cool sounds. I have a Mu-Tron III+, which does the Bootsy-style envelope filter perfect - unfortunately, its messed up and will send this massive, speaker damaging low end thump at the end of the filter sweep.

My Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz is a recreation of an old Maestro Bass Brassmaster and lets you mix a clean (and slightly buffered) signal with a nasty, nasty octave fuzz. It has some filter switches that allow you to tailor the bass and midrange. Just stopped working one day and I need to have it fixed.

If you haven't figured it out - I love pedals.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Bass player here, but the guitarist I play with really loves the Full Tone overdrive/distorition. I've seen a lot of people using it recently. Great sounding pedal. He also uses the Line 6 pedals - the green delay thing and the blue chorus thing. They both sound really beautiful. He also has this little pedal (not sure who makes it) that does basically one thing - volume swells - but it does it really well. All that plus a Cry Baby.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a guitar player, I'm a drummer. But I love when guitarists use the e-bow.

5. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I've got the Fulltone Full-drive 2 and the Fulltone Supatrem, and I love them both. The Full-drive makes any guitar/amp sound better... :cool:

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I plug into a
    [​IMG]

followed by a

[​IMG]

which is then plugged into my amp.

But....the new band I am getting into is more jazzy swinging blues, so soon I will probably be playing a big fat hollowbody plugged straight into my amp for that gig.

7. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Am I right to assume you play a Twin?

8. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I had a late-60s Big Muff Harmonix driving me when I started out in 6th grade, and kept it for two more years until 1994. It was a gift from an elder Uncle and it caused a great deal of confusion when my 8th grade power trio called itself "Big Muff" for a school dance. We didn't know until after the dance that 'big muff' may have meant something entirely different.

Until then, and since my vintage Ibanex Tube Screamer was stolen, I've gone straight up the kilt. No effects, just a badass tube amp and my own tasty left and right hands. The music I play (Chuck Berryish, Steve Cropperish rawk) lends itself to the overdriven tube sound, but I prefer it. Transistors make you sound like a gotdamn Commie.

God bless Freddie King.

9. RocketMan Tex

Well, you should never assume.....:D

When I played rock, I played thru a 1971 Fender Twin that had been modified by James Demeter in Los Angeles. He removed the vibrato and installed a master volume (they didn't have them back then), and put in two 100 watt Fane speakers and Russian military tubes. The mods give it Marshall-like crunch with Fender twang. I used to rent it out to recording studios for sessions, and I still own it and mess around with it at the house. It is tough to bring to gigs because it is so damn heavy.

Now that I play more blues and alt-country instead of rock, I play through a Fender 1963 Vibroverb reissue (made in 1991) that I bought at Fullers Vintage Guitar. I had 10" vintage ceramic Jensen speakers installed in it. It is a great amp for blues and country.

10. RocketMan Tex

I love you maign, and yes, you can have my Bud Lite.

:D

11. KellyDwyer

Problem is, Freddie won't let us have his left hand.

DAMMIT!!!

12. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Goodness...I want that amp. Where could I go to get mine modded up like that?

Oh and I have a reissue...so it has a PC Board instead of the hand wiring or whatever. Will that be an issue when getting it suped up?

13. KellyDwyer

Problem is, Rocket Man, I'm never around to take in your gigs.

And my bands break up after five gigs (they never want to be a bunch of 24-year old Rockpile clones). Meanwhile, I'm stuck playing Freddie/Grant Green/Dave Edmunds/Robbie Robertson/Albert King licks for a series of potential bandmates that just want to play jammy nonsense.

14. RocketMan Tex

I don't know of many amp guys in Houston because I haven't really needed any amp mod work done since I moved back. Fullers did the speaker replacement on my Vibroverb. Jeff might know of someone to recommend. Paging Dr. Balke.......

I do not believe the PC Board will hinder getting it souped up. It might even make the job easier for the tech.

PS: My old bandmates back in Los Angeles used to affectionately call my 1971 Twin "the fartbox". :D

15. RocketMan Tex

Are you in Texas?

16. KellyDwyer

Chicago, born and raised. Silenced in the suburbs, then thrown back into the city.

17. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

I was just about to ask the same thing...

18. RocketMan Tex

You can't find blues players in Chicago???????????

:confused: :confused: :confused:

You might have to start hanging out on the South side.