1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guitar Center's downward spiral

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by kpsta, Dec 13, 2012.

1. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Not sure whether this really fits well in the D&D or over in the Hangout.

Personally, I've never been a huge fan of Guitar Center (typical big box store where the employees are underpaid and rarely very knowledgable, the guitars and amps for sale in the stores are often poorly maintained, etc.). Given the choice, I've always been willing to pay a little more for something and buy it at Rockin' Robin, Fuller's, or Infinity Guitars. If GC does go down financially, they'll probably be blowing out inventory before too long... so if you're eyeing a guitar or something there, you might want to wait a bit. The story does really suck for the manufacturers that sell so much of their inventory through GC, but perhaps it does mean a return to the mom & pop stores and internet sales.

The D&D angle is that it's another "success" story for Bain Capital. And yes, I realize that some of the company's distress has little to do with Bain's actions.

http://thetoneking.com/wp/life-support-how-long-until-they-pull-the-plug-on-guitar-center/

Marc Johnson for TheToneKing.com

From all sides, it looks like Guitar Center may be in a slow spiral into oblivion. That sounds harsh, but things aren’t going well for the company and haven’t been for years. Moody’s downgraded them…again. S&P Downgraded them…again. They haven’t posted a net profit in several years. They’re getting screwed in loan interest. And, to top it all off, rumors are circulating that manufacturers are getting antsy with GC’s poor performance.

A bit of history is in order.

Guitar Center was founded in California in 1959 by a dude named Wayne Mitchell. Originally an organ dealer named The Organ Center, they started finding more money in Vox guitars and amps. Changing their name to The Vox Center in 1964. The name didn’t last too long, and by 1970, Mitchell finally changed the name to Guitar Center.

But the big story behind GC is the name Larry Thomas. Starting out as a salesman in 1977 in the San Francisco store, Larry made his way up to CEO and President in less than 20 years. After taking over in 1991, Larry was the guy who made GC “The largest music retailer in the world.

It’s a great American story. A young man starts off at the bottom of the ladder, works his way up, and ushers his company into greatness.

If only it had stopped there.

On June 27, 2007 GC was bought out by Bain Capital for $1.9 billion plus assumed debt. With the debt, Bain had written a $2.1 billion dollar check for Guitar Center and all of its subsidiaries.

For those who don’t know, Bain Capital is a private equity and venture capital group that was founded in 1984 by current presidential nominee Mitt Romney. Basically, Bain buys companies, restructures them, and then sells them off at a profit. There are some success stories, and some no-so-success stories.

Unfortunately, when it came to Guitar Center, Bain hasn’t had much luck. One of the common complaints among GC employees after the restructuring involves their compensation. It’s hard to believe, but Guitar Center used to offer comprehensive pension and benefit plans. It’s the usual story. Outsource IT to India, freeze raises for years, increase management but cutting back on sales personnel by making them part-time, making it difficult to keep the floor covered.

And being hit by a recession right after the buy out didn’t help matters any.

Where are we now?

Guitar Center is more than 1.6 billion dollars in debt. I’ll say that again so that you can fully grasp what I’m saying. Guitar Center owes 1,600,000,000.00 dollars to other people. As of March of last year, they had been on their knees begging to get a 2.5 year extension on $650 million of that total debt load. For an extension to April 2017, GC agreed to a 9.9% total interest rate.

An interest rate of 9.9% means that GC needs to pay back $64,350,000 dollars in interest on that $650 million dollar loan. And that’s only one loan! They have another for $622 million that they’re asking for an 18-month deferment on 50% of the interest payments. Who knows what the interest is on that b*stard.

Even though GC murdered its competition by having over $2 billion in sales in 2011 – Doubling Sam Ash’s sales at the no. 2 spot – they still don’t have enough cash flow to cover even the interest in its debts. Which is explained in the Moody’s downgrade.

So, how does the world’s top seller of music gear end up not making enough money to cover their debt?

First, you need to know that that $2 billion figure is not just GC’s brick and mortar stores. That figure includes Musician’s Friend, Harmony Central, Music and Arts, and all of their subsidiaries.

That $2 billion ain’t profit. To give you an idea of the costs of running the GC empire: According to Moody’s, in May of 2011, Guitar Center’s earnings, before “interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization,” was estimated at $170 million. Dropping down from $2 billion to $170 million is one hell of a kick to the head.

From here it gets a bit harder to follow.

You see, in the business world, earnings aren’t the same thing as profit. According to Guitar Center’s filings for 2011, their Gross Profit is about 30% of their total sales or $60 million. “Interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization” must be damn expensive if it took them from $170 million to $60 million.

To add to the cluster-frak sundae that is Guitar Center’s finances, according to their 2011 filings, Guitar Center had a Net loss of 7.4% or $111 million. My guess is that number includes payments on taxes and loan interest. Either way, if GC continues working with a Net loss of $111 million with a $1.6 billion dollar debt load, they might as well put their heads between their legs and kiss their ass goodbye.

Recently Moody’s has downgraded Guitar Center’s liquidity rating to Speculative Liquidity Grade – 3. Basically, it means that GC doesn’t have enough money to cover its interest expenses. On top of that, Moody’s is pretty sure that GC’s performance won’t improve over the next 12 months.

What’s going to happen now?

Well, that’s a tough question to answer. There are too many companies that have their hats in the ring to let Guitar Center go into bankruptcy so easily. Also, manufacturers are getting pissed at GC. Most of that mounting debt is probably due to them for product. And Guitar Center has been telling a lot of the manufacturers to piss off. But, most of these manufactures can’t simply jump ship. They sell too much of their stuff through GC. Most of them are probably just sitting quietly and trying to ride out the storm. But if things get much worse, don’t be surprised if you seen big brands pulling their lines.

Guitar Center’s reaction seems to be to get further into debt by opening more brick and mortar stores. They’re trying to make themselves look pretty, like nothing’s wrong. “Don’t worry. We’re expanding. Everything’s great.” All the while, they’re only burying themselves deeper under a mountain of debt.

Much of Guitar Center’s debt is coming due in April of 2013, which is not that far away. I guess we’ll just have to see what happens then. I would be surprised if Guitar Center didn’t go down. But if there are enough people who are willing to throw money at them, then I guess they’ll stay in business. If they do go down, I just hope they don’t take the rest of us with them.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Guitar Center's total bellyflop has been curious since it's not like Blockbuster or Gamestop, where a new medium came in and wiped out a profit-center. They're failing because they treat their customers (and employees) like dirt, and you don't even really save money through them in most cases, which is usually the main reason people go to big box stores.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Who agreed to give a 1.9 billion dollar loan?

4. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

electric musik and home mixerz......lik me........doin wateva i want on cheap gear...death ov 80s and gruge rock means no 1 wants a guitar or watever they sell..all my gear iz from amazon...

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

Word!

6. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

my child, be strong by the grace that is in the Messiah Jesus

-dub Timothy dub

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

A new medium? No, but a new and more efficient delivery mechanism? Yes. Their demise is because they can't compete with online retailers who don't have to pay for the cost of brick and mortar stores. This is the same reason Best Buy is fading fast as well.

I buy 90% of my non-food purchases online, as does most of many family now that I've showed them how to save on Amazon, NewEgg and the like. There simply isn't any reason to buy anything in a store unless you want to try it on/out first and must have it that day. Many times you don't pay taxes online and the prices are 10% or more cheaper with free or low cost shipping and no questions asked return policies. It is a no-brainer so more of these traditional stores will continue to fall.

8. Classic

Classic Member

Is music playing as popular as it was in years past? Doesn't seem so or I hang w a dif crowd.

9. Svpernaut

I think it is more popular now that people can become overnight successes on YouTube or iTunes. Anyone can release an album if they have a computer and a microphone.

People have just learned that buying online, especially for big purchases, is cheaper.

10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

The people who actually play instruments usually prefer to buy older, used instruments - they're usually better quality, and they have a certain hipness I guess.

There may be more people involved with music now, but there are fewer and fewer people who actually play instruments. Everyone's a rapper, or a singer, or a DJ. They're not actual musicians. You can buy loop CDs that have more-or-less entire songs on them, then just record yourself rapping/singing over the top.

Also this is clearly Obama's fault.

11. Classic

Classic Member

This is what I was thinking. They're just a brand on the wrong side of the product life cycle for actual instruments. Obama could play a role in this somewhere, I wouldn't rule it out.

12. Svpernaut

Again, there are better avenues online for this with Craigslist and eBay. Sure some people still hit up pawn shops and stores, but for the best deals and fastest results that's where they usually start.

I disagree with this, I know more people who have learned instruments because of technology making it easier and cheaper to learn. Heck, I've dabbled in guitar and piano myself just because software and videos made it easier and more fun to learn.

The people who want to be pop and hip hop artists would have never learned an instrument to begin with regardless of if they needed sweet licks for their latest track.

13. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Guitar center in Lubbock sucks. Never purchased one thing from them. I swear, they give you that look like how dare you come in there to just look around- I can't stand those idiots. Tarpley's Music rocks- always go out of their way to explain things, quality items, etc. **** G.C.

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FTFY.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Craigslist killed Guitar Center.

I buy all my gear off amazon as well.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

**** guitar center.

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

prosecuting Gibson? clearly, he doesn't like the american guitar industry.

19. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Completely agree. The next time I go in there will be whenever the going out of business sale is. Tarpley's and Jent's are so much better.

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Let 'em rot. I haven't purchased a guitar from Guitar Center in 25 years. They are only good for picks, strings, stands and instrument cables. The only stores I would buy a guitar from in Houston are Fuller's and Rockin' Robin. It helps that I have friends that work in both stores. Otherwise, it's Craigslist for me.

If they do go out of business, I will shop the corpse of the store for deals, but even then, I wouldn't expect to get much. Most of the guitars that Guitar Center sells are cheap Chinese made crap anyway.