1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guidelines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 15, 2019.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Thank you. Let's see how it goes.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Where is your response? Did you guys work it out?

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just some thoughts, hopefully helpful, maybe not.

1. I completely sympathize with Clutch being a little exasperated or offended with some of this behavior. He doesn't run this great site to deal with these kinds of issues. Also, as far as using a user's real name, I don't think it was a big leap in the case of KevC, and besides, Clutch always has to deal with these things with all of us knowing exactly who he is in real life. In the end, even when I've disagreed with a decision here or there (rare), I just appreciate his work and this site so much that I don't really feel much latitude for criticizing. People can do what they want, but despite an overall great atmosphere, there's no reason for anyone to assume democratic rule on a BBS.

2. Now, I know more about Granville than, I think, most of y'all. I understand, if you'd been in his shoes and seen exactly what he has seen, why the 'r word' is equivalent in harm to the 'n word.' I don't completely agree with him on that, but I sympathize with his feelings on it very much, and I understand why he has a zero tolerance view on it. To him, that is necessary for progress. As I've shared with him more privately before, I think it might be more persuasive to be more flexible on it. And look, he's already increased a lot of awareness, I think, for the issue right here. (Some people, no names needed, aren't going to actually be more sympathetic no matter what happens.)
    If I were him (and I'm not), I would drop the issue now on this site and just stick to rockets talk. He's made his point and even taken an aggressive move against the site's owner. I'm honestly amazed that Clutch is allowing him to post in any format, but I assume there's some sympathy with Granville's good work, and absolutely with his moniker. I'm also amazed that Granville still wants to post here.

3. I'm fine if we want to filter the r-word, but it's tricky. The n-word only really has one connotation in polite society (aside from more individual conversations where certain people are "reclaiming" the word). The r-word is one I actually have to use, for example, when I teach advanced physics classes (re****ed electric potentials for fast-moving charged particles). I know that's esoteric, but the point is that the r-word can come up, even when talking about a coach's effect on a young player's development. Yes, we can use other words for the same meaning, more or less.
    The reason I'd ultimately be against filtering it though (with apologies to Granville) is the can-of-worms argument. There are slurs for gay people (fa**ot), slurs for asians, and so on. It seems like we could risk entering a tedious world of injury and identity with no resolution.

We should just avoid the r-word, as well as variants like "trumpt**d" and "libt**d," just like we avoid slurs for gay people and various minorities.

Cheers and onward.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I have a lot of respect for what Granville does. Through our conversation I've become aware of his non-profit and I think it's awesome. I think he got out of line here and lost control, apparently being egged on my people who got a kick of out the anarchy and hate Bobby. It's unfortunate.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Had Granville been able to r****d his fast-moving charges aimed at Clutch's magnetism, without going so electric, his potentials to get allowed back in DD to explain his unretarded charges could accelerate.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how'd you do that? anyone else think HP is a wizard?

4JYW.gif

7. LongTimeFan

Granville is a grown man with grandkids, as he likes to say. He wasn't egged on by anyone -- can we stop the attempts at scapegoating other people? He rightfully felt slighted and wasn't happy about the response to it. I imagine that is why he's continued to be upset and seek redemption.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, let's all make fun of the guy for being upset with the word.

LongTimeFan, Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

I understand where he's coming from, but I do believe that intent matters when using words.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do too. I think there were good examples of people using the word in ways that had nothing to do with people at all. I certainly don't think everyone has to agree. I'm fine with people disagreeing with Granville about censoring the word. I just question why it's cool to make fun of his feelings about the word. That being said, the fact that I am even having to mention it again means I'm making too big a deal out of it. I like giving people a hard time and usually find it funny. It's just that in this case, not all parties seem to have the same sense of humor about it. I just wouldn't try and poke fun at him about this word in this case. It feels off to me.

11. BullRider

BullRider Member

granville was sooooo dishonest in that letter to the nba. cf could make a libel case. he didn't even tell them of his personal role in it!!! :mad:

heypartner likes this.
  12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Regardless of which side you fall on in the debate about words and their usage, in my opinion, reporting the site to NBA Cares and opening @Clutch to potential reprimand and loss of revenue was unnecessary and extreme.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, are you kidding me? Granville went to that extreme? I have never been a fan of that word and think it should be a reportable thing, but for someone who talks about PC culture so much and then to do that? I mean, that's too far.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are a lot of awful and cruel things posted in message boards, including D&D. And I do believe the offender was banned, and I think it's fair to ask for a word to be censored that you feel should be. But, to go to the NBA and try to revoke media credentials for Clutch is extreme. That all happened fairly recently, you haven't even given the mods a chance to work through it. And that word isn't universally defined as hate speech either as it has multiple meanings and context.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Don't mess with your fellow CF's. Simple guideline.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Where is the line?

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Don't you spend most of your time on here constantly whining about those who whine?

If you're so easily offended, come here and apologize @Invisible Fan@Invisible Fan

#77 LosPollosHermanos, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  18. LongTimeFan

This ain't it.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, **** and poop and derivatives thereof are not protected groups.

20. Buck Turgidson

What about c**ksucker? F**ktard? I'm assuming that "moron" and its variants are all still ok, yet I'm not sure exactly why?

I need to know which of my favorite slurs are still acceptable.

#80 Buck Turgidson, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    King1 and TheresTheDagger like this.