1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guess who played 44 minutes tonight...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2rings, Dec 5, 2007.

1. 2rings

2rings Member

Yao played nearly the whole game - 44 minutes - and looked reasonably fresh and remained effective late in the game. I am guessing this is close to a career high in a non-overtime, regular season game. I like RA's strategy to let him play through the tired spells. It will really benefit us in the playoffs (knocking on wood) when starter's minutes go up considerably.

2. jc1988

jc1988 Member

he needs to play through it, playoff is even more demanding in stamina, he needs to keep it up.

3. snc

snc Member

We may not be an 'elite team' but I think we are passed the point of knocking on wood to get into the playoffs :cool:

4. 2rings

2rings Member

I hope you are right. but if it ended today we would be the 9th seed in the WC - aka a lottery team. I have every faith we will move up in the standings, but I am still knocking just to be safe.

5. Htown57

Htown57 Member

yeah, as long as yao gets some rest before the playoffs start, i think this will pay dividends.

6. NO NAME

NO NAME Member

Where CDTH happens

7. Pocket Rockets

...and i hate it.

i hate that rafer played the whole second half.
    i hate that yao played the whole second half.
    i hate that tracy played the whole second half.

we were playing memphis!

8. Panda

Panda Member

That's why not to bang in the low post on every possession is good.

9. flyemerate

flyemerate Member

This is the point :p

10. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i couldn't have said it any better.

#10 rodrick_98, Dec 6, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  11. 2rings

2rings Member

The only we he can stretch to play the minutes and remain effective is to actually do it. What better time to do than playing against a cream puff? I worry less that he can big minutes and more about his effectiveness when playing big minutes. This is no different than an extended workout in a real game environment.

12. Panda

Panda Member

Don't nitpick. This is the NBA. Any team can knock you out on any night.

13. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

And he went there 1 hour earlier than every other Rockets and sweat it out on his shootout/drill practice...... :eek:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3297388&postcount=85

[​IMG]

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Hakeem won his 1st ring, when he averaged the highest minutes in the history of his career in 1993-94 by playing 41.0 minutes. Coincidently, the next year he played his 2nd highest avg minutes in his career and got his 2nd ring

Shaq played a career high of 40 min/game in 1999-00 and got his first ring. The next season, he got his 2nd ring and averaged 39.5 minutes. Before his first championship ring, he was averaging around 37-38 minutes a game.

It's important for Yao to increase his stamina and endurance to the championship caliber of Shaq or Hakeem. Shaq and Hakeem have 5 rings between them. Who am I to question Hakeem? ;)

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For those interested he has played 50 minutes twice in his career....

16. 2rings

2rings Member

Both were overtime games by definition. I am wondering if this is highest minute total in a regular season, non-overtime game. I am betting it is because both Rudy and Jeff were more conservative in their use of Yao.

17. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

he probably would've got the same production in under 38 mins under JVG. he was one of most efficient guys in the league under JVG. not so much now. one of the reasons is JVG didn't play him as many minutes as RA.

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yao was tired at the end. I think 38 min is ideal for him. 44 is just too much.

19. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

To much. Keep Yao fresh.

20. tsunami

tsunami Member

That fact along shows clear enough how important Rafer is in coach's eye!! :eek: