1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grrr.....Should I pull out of the stock market?!?!?!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by R0ckets03, Jan 17, 2008.

Tags:
  1. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Just invented some money in a couple of mutual funds a month ago and this market is making me jittery. Don't know much about all of this stuff. I just saw the Morning star rating and average 1, 5 and 10 year returns.

So far have lost about 8 percent of the money I have invested. If my wife finds out I am in for a lecture.

Should I pull my money out or is this market expected to get better? Told myself I'd be in this for the long term, but ehh....first time is making me nervous.

2. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

ALWAYS PULL OUT

3. bladeage

bladeage Member

invented money ay? next you're gonna tell me you invented the internet. wise guy.

if pulling out is an option, you have to. pulling it out is the only way.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

I just went 70% money market. Market is way too jittery, and I can see it falling a lot more.

Thinking about commodities, but I'm wary.

5. Asian Sensation

Don't pull out. Go in balls deep (keep investing).

6. ClutchCityReturns

This is why you never invest more than you can afford to lose.

7. Dubious

Dubious Member

If the stock market makes you uncomfortable, like it effects the way you sleep, yeah, I'd go ahead and get out. Buying individual bonds (not bond funds) means you will earn a rate of return and get your money back at maturity.

We are talking about it over in the D&D. The guys I listen to think there will be a rally soon to about 13200 and then the chances of a recessionary drop increase .. like a 30% drop in the Dow.(followed by a bounce back of 10% or so)

I haven't owned a lot of stocks in a while but the few I own, I'm keeping my finger on the trigger and will bail if we see a rally on a Fed rate drop.

Everbody has an opinion but I probably am the only person on this board who was substanially in stocks in Oct of 87 and Mar of 2000. I've experienced losses that I still lose sleep over 7 and 20 years later.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't have invested in a fund this late in the cycle, but now that you are in, you should probably stay put for a while. I hope it wasn't a super volitile type fund because that could get ugly. Was it a sector fund? What is the general prospectus?

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

what kind of fund is it?

but theoretically, you havent lost any money so long as you dont pull out . i would hang with it a little longer. It will swing up again for a little and when it does THATS when you get out.

10. tulexan

tulexan Member

Just hedge your losses with a fund that has a negative beta

11. Dubious

Dubious Member

Yeah, the market always recovers. In 1985 it took me till 1994 to get even and in 2000 ..... well I'll never have that much money again, that market was just stupid, it was all NASDQ, the Dow was a quaint afterthought then.

[​IMG]

12. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

I love people like you who get worried and start to dump off shares

All I see are GREAT bargains baby!

13. macalu

macalu Member

can't go wrong with the inknown.

14. WildSweet&Cool

Buying high and selling low is not the way to make money in the stock market. If the Morningstar ratings for that fund are high, it's probable that it will recover. It's just going to take a while (possibly years).

15. No Worries

No Worries Member

Need more info about which funds and what your time horizon is for the money. Are you investing in funds that track financial stocks primarily? Is the money for your retirement 30 years out?

16. macalu

macalu Member

past performance is not an indicator of future success. i also hope you looked at fees, expenses, and tax implications.

the only fund that i would truly trust my money in are index funds.

17. MrRolo

MrRolo Member

small cap tech stocks are frustrating right now, there is value all over the place but no interest!!

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Fidelity Convertible Securities
    Fidelity International Discovery

Those are the two funds I have invested in.

Really think I am going to pull out and just invest in a freakin CD.

19. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Buy bluechips on this pullback now as we're right around support at 12. Barring incident a quick elevator ride over the next year sounds about right.
    ....up to and holding 14 -15.

#19 Plowman, Jan 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

No need to pull out if you know what stocks to buy and which to keep. There is still a ton of money to be made in dozens of industries. My personal advice is to take a hint and research some off shore drilling companies. Plenty of money made in the last 6 months alone. I could go on forever but do your own planning and investment.