1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grr Identify Theft?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sajan, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Sajan

Sajan Member

So I noticed someone bought an iMac on my best buy credit a month ago.
    BB sent me a new card and is investigating the charge. I still have the old card in my possession.

Today I get a bill from sprint saying account is past due. Apparently someone opened up an account online and got two new iphones. Sprint had already suspended the account.

Checked my credit report and there's also a KOHLS credit card that was opened dec 25th.

What can I do to prevent more accounts from being opened?

ramotadab likes this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

File a police report. This is a formality. Do not expect any help or the police to crack the case.

Report identity fraud to one of the three credit bureaus: Experian, Equifax, TransUnion. They will give you a free credit freeze for 90 days, maybe even longer if you provide the police report incident number.

Dispute any fraudulent charges. Do not transfer any money from your bank to those accounts. It's easier to dispute charged credit than to receive your money back. Make sure all your bank statements match up along with personal account information. The hackers may attempt to change your address, e-mail, or password for your bank accounts.

FranchiseBlade, ramotadab and Sajan like this.
  3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade and Sajan like this.
  4. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ok.
    I just put a fraud alert through Equifax.

Called Kohls and had them open a case.
    Sprint's fraud department was closed.

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

How do we know this is really you?

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yeah, we need a photo with you holding your ID and SS card next to your face.
    In all seriousness. Sorry it had to happen to you or anybody for that matter. Hope everything comes out alright.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Two charges on my banana republic card.
    One from december and one in january.

BROL GALLATIN CLASSIC CHANDLER AZ
    MENS KNITS M L/S
    MENS OUTERWEAR OUTERWEAR JACKETS -
    Location 2121 SOUTH PRICE RD
    Posting Date December 07, 2016

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Does your wife suddenly happen to have a new iMac from "work" ?

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oops. That was me. I'll pay you back bro. o_O

ramotadab likes this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is awful!

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

If you have a debit card I'd call the bank or credit union and put a freeze on that quick. CC's are easy to work with but if they get into your bank account it could take months to resolve and get any lost money back.

12. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

As a matter of course, almost everyone should put a security freeze on their credit reports. It does NOT negatively affect your FICO scores. You have to do each one separately (Transunion, Experian, and Equifax). It makes it to where nobody can access your credit or open anything up without your express approval via a PIN that they provide you. You simply "unfreeze" your credit with your PIN when you apply for a mortgage, loan, or credit card.

You can also "opt out" of unsolicited credit checks for pre approved credit card mailers (which is one of the ways identity thieves get your info).

I think they also offer monitoring, but if you are "frozen" it doesn't much matter.

This will not protect against someone getting a hold of your credit card number or stealing your bank PIN from an ATM, but it will prevent someone opening up a bunch of credit cards or applying for loans in your name.

PS: If you are married, you have to do it for both people. You can also do it for your kids too. It sounds like a pain, but it actually takes about 15 minutes online if you have all your info handy.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. body slam

body slam Member

This is one thing I'm afraid of. I get a lot of walk by traffic in my neighborhood. I've called the credit card companies several times to stop sending things through the mail. Usually last a few months and then they start up again.

How can a person find out just how many credit cards they have? I've down sized to 2 credit cards and 1 debt. I would just like to double check to make sure everything not being used is canceled.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Life Lock..... only $10-$30/month

They investigate and back you up to a million dollars. They deal with pre-existing cases too, IIRC.

Very sorry this happened to you.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You can opt out for unsolicited credit checks on the credit bureaus' websites. This will prevent credit cards from sending pre approved offers.

You are also entitled to a free credit report once a year. This should let you know what credit cards you have open. It'll show your whole history back 7 years.

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/get-my-free-credit-report

body slam likes this.
  16. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

I used csidentity my help protect me and walk me through process after had similar issue. Was well worth the $