1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Groundhog Day

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vengeance, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

So, it's Groundhog Day, again . . .

I decided to take advantage of living in Pittsburgh, and I traveled to Punxsutawney. Takes about 1.5 hours. Just got back. The groundhog saw his shadow -- 6 more weeks of winter. The experience was interesting. I had as much fun trying to figure out how to get up there as I did actually being up there. Pennsylvania has THE worst road signage anywhere, ever. Punxsutawney is a small, fairly crummy little town. Think Brenham without Bluebell, and without the "charm". Everything, everywhere is Groundhog this, or Groundhog that. If you've seen the movie with Bill Murray, and you expect the event to be like that, or the town to be like that, you would be sorely disappointed. I knew it wasn't like the movie, but even then, it was sort of disappointing.

We got there and parked in the Wal-Mart parking lot at about 5:00, and hung around -- lots of folks getting drunk in the parking lot, and cheering for the Steelers. Took a bus to Gobbler's Knob -- well worth the $5, b/c it's a fair walk, especially in the cold. Got up to "the Knob" at 5:45-ish. Walked around and saw everything there was to see in about 30 seconds. "The Knob" is removed from town -- not like in the movie where it's in town. It's basically in a field about 5 minutes outside of town. It's a big hill, and at the bottom is a stage with a stump (just like in the movie), where Phil is "hibernating". They have folks up on stage telling really terrible jokes and doing fairly stupid stuff. Sort of like if your parents were to put on a party for you and your friends when you were in Middle School -- they'd be trying really hard to be on your level, but it turns out to be so lame it's like an SNL skit. But Kudos for trying, and since there's literally NOTHING else to do there but stand and watch/listen to them, you have no choice.

At about 6:30 they did fireworks, which were actually really pretty cool. Then they did all the thanking of this person and that person, and then the National Anthem by some dude who was apparently a singing Klingon from Star Trek DS9. Then they talk some more, and at about 7:20 they pull Phil out (who had a Terrible Towel with him). They put two scrolls on top of the stump, then put Phil up there. Now I still don't know exactly how they determined which one to take, but I think they pick the one he walks towards. All of the dudes in suits and top-hats surround him, and then one of them "listens" to him. They pick up one of the scrolls and then read it. It's sort of like in the movie, but the scoll is much longer (text-wise). It took like 3 minutes to read. Then, what struck me as odd, was RIGHT AFTER he made his prediction, folks headed back to the buses. No standing around and listening to them talk any more, no pictures with the Groundhog, nothing. Everyone hightailed it to the busses, and that was that. The weather was pretty good -- about 38 out the whole time, and it showed in the amount of folks who came -- well over 6,500 were there - I'd guess 10,000.

Anyhow, that's the Groundhog day experience in a nutshell. The town itself is not really much to see -- we drove through all the major roads and didn't find much interesting going on -- they have sort of a crafts area where folks are carving, and they had ice sculptures all over the place. Anyways, at least now I can that I've been to Punxsutawney for Groundhog Day. My recommendation is to only do it if you're going to be really close to Punxsutawney anyways -- it's not really worth the drive from Pittsburgh.

Pics later -- I've been up since yesterday morning and I'm tired.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I caught a little bit of that on the Weather Channel this morning; saw all those dorks with the top hats on. Just shook my head and kept reading stuff on the Internet while eating breakfast. I'm not on big on superstitions so we'll see about this 6 more weeks of winter garbage. I do have to say that I have been loving winter here in middle TN as we have had no significant snows and very mild temperatures for the most part. Hopefully it will continue like this until spring gets here.

3. Fatty FatBastard

So there's no polka? Without the polka, I couldn't do it. That and "I got you babe."

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

You want a prediction about the weather, you're asking the wrong Phil. I'll give you a winter prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Winter started?

6. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Hey, thanks for saving me about a 5 hour drive. I live in Maryland and have been promising myself I'd do this the last couple years. Based on your review, I think I'll pass.

PS You hit the nail on the head with regards to roads in PA, they suck. Worst in the nation I heard recently.

7. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

What is this winter thing they are talking about?

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I love this 80 degree winter. This only means one thing...

110 degree summer! W00T!

Bring on the pool side chillin'!

10. Fatty FatBastard

Ned?!? [SMACK]

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

So...Did he see his shadow on the scrolls? Doesn't sound anything like the movie, but I'm sure an experience non the less...

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Great movie.

13. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Don't drive angry.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I could have sworn I had read this entire thread before. :confused:

15. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Sign that tells about Groundhog Day

[​IMG]
    A Sign at Gobbler's Knob

[​IMG]
    Another sign with a Phil statue

[​IMG]
    Picture of the stage

[​IMG]
    Stage from our vantage point -- about 1.5 hours before the event -- lots of people there

[​IMG]
    Repin' the Rockets!

[​IMG]
    All the dudes in top hats, getting ready to bring Phil out

[​IMG]
    The Stump

I didn't get any good photos of Phil himself, unfortunately.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Something tells me that this day is all these guys have to look forward to.