1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grizzlies announcers FLAMES KPJ after this play!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

So sick of this bullshit.

Not every failing a person has is because they didn't have a father.

I know you do not intend it to be, but it becomes almost bigoted.

From George Karl claiming that Carmelo Anthony was weak because he didn't have a dad.... to people saying it about Porter.

The reality is that a lot of people have dad's and are assholes.... and a lot of people without dad's are strong people.

President Obama did not have a dad.... LeBron James did not have a dad.

Yung-T, Deuce, beardsanity713 and 4 others like this.
  2. Rokman

Rokman Member

I agree that he has the same talent / mental disposition as these guys. Unpredictable and outrageously immature but talented. I haven't seen him in a brawl yet so that's a good sign.

3. CertifiedTroll

I thought KPj was going to ride the pine for walking back on defence. Then I saw him refuse to leave the court and thought he was going to be sent to the locker room.

One minute later he is back in the game wtf

4. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't complicated.

Kevin Porter Jr. is a loser.

Christian Wood is a loser.

Teams don't win with losers.

Both need to be dealt.

Stephen Silas is also a loser - a nice man, but a loser.

The Rockets need to replace him before he has too big an impact on the culture long term.

The Rockets are an incredibly undisciplined team. They do not play smart either.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

You really need your point guard to be mentally strong and be a leader on and off the court. KPJ has physical talent, but he doesn’t have what it takes to lead a team.

Cleveland completely gave up on the guy and gave him away for nothing. They just wanted him gone.

I hope next season we have someone new playing point for this team.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This post reads like one is talking to a 5th grader….and unfortunately it’s way too rational for our front office to understand.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sorry you don't like it but it is a major factor in some people - and it may be in Porter too - fair game to talk about it. Having 2 active parents is a major advantage in most cases.

Porter has had a rough life, and the lack of a father may be a contributing factor to why he acts out - and it doesn't help that we have an enabler as a head coach.

If you don't like it? Ok, pound sand!

DD

Nook likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone and Tilman are losers too.

You are what your record says you are.

But man, I'm so tired of this losing culture.

groovemachine, FrontRunner and Nook like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

You have every right to talk about it.

I am simply saying it is impossible to know and ultimately doesn't matter.

At the end of the day, Porter is a loser.

Yung-T, AroundTheWorld and jcmoon like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

Tilman blames the failures on someone else.

Stone doesn't live in reality and publicly paints a picture of future glory while quietly blaming someone else.

Silas says nothing negative at all and claims everything is wonderful while he hangs his head and cries.

Porter thinks the entire world has wronged him and he should always be excused.

Wood doesn't care about basketball, the Rockets or winning.

None of them have any real pride.

11. DaDakota

Maybe....maybe not....I want to see him with a TRUE leader to follow.

DD

12. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Nope. Rasheed Wallace in his prime was as hard a worker as you'll see. Those years with the Blazers fighting the Lakers were him putting everything on the floor. He took that ethic to the Pistons too. Wallace was the type of player who dove after loose balls, went all out, and his career contributions to win shares bears that out.

KPJ win shares cumulative for his career is 0. This season he's negative, which means the team is better with him on the bench. In his career he has never had a positive +/-. His Value Over Replacement Level (VORL) has been negative every season he's player. Wallace never had a negative VORL in his career. KPJ doesn't even shoot free throws well, as he's now under 60% and routinely misses every shot, even when he's fouled at the three point line.

Again, KPJ is not in the same league as Wallace, Green, or Artest, the latter of two who were elite defenders in their prime.

AroundTheWorld and clutchdabear like this.
  13. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Look, I'm fine with people advocating for KPJ. But be honest about what he is and what he's putting on the floor. Yes, he's had 5-10 really good games this season. Maybe tonight will be another one. But he's had 30 or so below average ones. And another 10 which have been downright pathetic for a player we look at as a superstar-to-be.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. DaDakota

It is so hard to discuss crap here when people like you tend to talk about their entire careers and never the early bits......as an apples to apples ccomparison.

BTW - KPJ is our best on ball defender.

DD

15. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

"early bits" did you follow Wallace early in his career? He wasn't a malcontent or remotely problematic in his early career. He worked hard as hell and never gave up. That claim is a joke.

clutchdabear and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Oh and "BTW" our best on ball defender is named Jae'sean Tate.

17. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

and what makes the "KPJ is our best on ball defender" claim all the more ridiculous: every advanced stat belies it. He has one of the lowest defensive ratings and defensive win shares on the team. He is in the bottom half of the league for every stat tied to defensive efficiency and performance (check his defensive RAPTOR or any other advanced metric site).

And since we're talking about "early bits," lets look at defensive rating of Wallace, Green, and Artest in their first three years (they all, outside of Artest, had better offensive ratings than KPJ in these seasons too):

Wallace: 108, 103, 103
    Artest: 103, 104, 100
    Green: 102, 98, 97

Compare to KPJ: 115, 118, 117 (this season)

KPJ is situationally aggressive on ball and when he's into it has played well in moments and stretches. He's capable of being a better defender than he is, though I don't know how much longer we can keep talking about potential. But to say he's even a good defender on ball up till now when he's been eaten up and embarrassed by guys like Facundo Campazzo is just insane.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I did not dispute that Wallace worked hard or was an excellent player. But because he couldn’t control his emotions, Wallace has the most ejections in NBA history (29). To me, that’s the same as walking out on your team. Players know what is going to get them ejected. Every time it happened, it’s because he was ready to be done for the night.

DaDakota likes this.
  19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Kpj experiment is over. Get this loser off the team.

20. BonziWellsGOAT

Kwahi??? Draymond???

I'll give you Kyrie but all those other dudes aren't current players. It's exceedingly rare