1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grizzlies announcers FLAMES KPJ after this play!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Mar 21, 2022.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't think he is a malcontent I just think he is high-strung, and it looks like a lot of people can't wait to get rid of him, that's cool I just think he has talent and has worked through some of his issues.[/QUOTE]

He does have talent, and I don't know what type of person he will be going forward. I can only look at what his recent track record. I wouldn't have a big issue with him being on the team if the Rockets had a stronger culture but they don't. This is also a young team, so that is a concern. A team like the Heat or even the Rockets when they had Harden and Paul could handle it.

I remember something Lenny Wilkens once said, he said a young team can have one knucklehead and be okay. Two knuckleheads and its a problem, and three knuckleheads and there will be a new coach.

So if the Rockets get rid or Wood and don't bring back Schroeder they can probably give Porter another year.... I just get worried because I don't see how this ends all that well for the Rockets. By the time Porter is "good", assuming he ever becomes really good, he is going to be a free agent. Do you want to pay a lot of money for someone with his track record? How long is long enough to feel secure giving him 80-100 million?

[/QUOTE]If you don't think he has shown improvement as a player I have to think you have not been looking at him over the past 20 games and makes me think you have already decided it's not happening for him.[/QUOTE]

He has played better the second half of the season after being terrible the first half of the season, but overall for the full season he is about the same as his first two seasons and in the past he has had spans where he has played well and then dipped. If he plays this well the first half of next season then I am inclined to see it as more permanent.

Unfortunately for Kevin, he doesn't get the typical maturation cycle that other people get because he is in the NBA. He may very well turnout to be a dependable and strong man but he isn't right now and in the NBA you only get a few years to show you can make it.[/QUOTE]

So now he is struggling to stay in the league?

From what I read he is there more times than not and as a 3rd year player it's optional no if and buts, and we don't know if he is blowing them off or had legitimate other **** to do.

We also don't know if he did something else later to get the same instruction.

We just disagree, I don't think he is a knucklehead I work with knuckleheads every day and if he was that he would be doing dumb **** a lot more.

How is he not a dependable strong man, you sure are using random instances to paint an entire picture, this incident happened when?

And with all the losing this year, if was really a knucklehead and not dependable, we would be hearing and seeing a lot more.

I can name 10 actual knuckleheads that never got it and I don't see it with KPJ, I am not saying he is a cornerstone type of guy but i don't see him being a detriment to team either sometimes you need an emotional guy.

I have no idea why you think he is a detriment to this team, i don't see him rubbing off negatively on anybody.

Nook and Denovo like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's 46% on 1.7 attempts per game. What the guy should have made more newsworthy is the improvement he's made on pull up 3s since he came into the league:

19/20: 25.7% on 1.4 attempts per game
    20/21: 29.6% on 3.8 attempts per game
    21/22: 33% on 4.4 attempts per game

vator, Nook and Deuce like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

It is a big improvement.... but like everything else, he needs to prove it for a longer period of time because his career has been so up and down within the season. To me his ideal position is 6th man, capable of playing three positions. He isn't stupid, so he should get better at "winning".

But we are in a bottle neck, he is going to be due a new contract soon, and do you want to pay him what he is going to expect? I would like to see a three guard line up of Green, Porter and Ivey though... I think the Rockets could make it work defensively as well.

4. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

To me, the catch and shoot number only proves that he's being misused. He's better off ball with another creator kicking the ball to him than dribbling the ball up the court and trying to orchestrate the offense.

Nook and DaDakota like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Let Nix start with Porter and Green and watch how much Porter and green improve.

DD

vator likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

He does have talent, and I don't know what type of person he will be going forward. I can only look at what his recent track record. I wouldn't have a big issue with him being on the team if the Rockets had a stronger culture but they don't. This is also a young team, so that is a concern. A team like the Heat or even the Rockets when they had Harden and Paul could handle it.

I remember something Lenny Wilkens once said, he said a young team can have one knucklehead and be okay. Two knuckleheads and its a problem, and three knuckleheads and there will be a new coach.

So if the Rockets get rid or Wood and don't bring back Schroeder they can probably give Porter another year.... I just get worried because I don't see how this ends all that well for the Rockets. By the time Porter is "good", assuming he ever becomes really good, he is going to be a free agent. Do you want to pay a lot of money for someone with his track record? How long is long enough to feel secure giving him 80-100 million?

[/QUOTE]If you don't think he has shown improvement as a player I have to think you have not been looking at him over the past 20 games and makes me think you have already decided it's not happening for him.[/QUOTE]

He has played better the second half of the season after being terrible the first half of the season, but overall for the full season he is about the same as his first two seasons and in the past he has had spans where he has played well and then dipped. If he plays this well the first half of next season then I am inclined to see it as more permanent.

Unfortunately for Kevin, he doesn't get the typical maturation cycle that other people get because he is in the NBA. He may very well turnout to be a dependable and strong man but he isn't right now and in the NBA you only get a few years to show you can make it.[/QUOTE]

So now he is struggling to stay in the league?

From what I read he is there more times than not and as a 3rd year player it's optional no if and buts, and we don't know if he is blowing them off or had legitimate other **** to do.

We also don't know if he did something else later to get the same instruction.

We just disagree, I don't think he is a knucklehead I work with knuckleheads every day and if he was that he would be doing dumb **** a lot more.

How is he not a dependable strong man, you sure are using random instances to paint an entire picture, this incident happened when?

And with all the losing this year, if was really a knucklehead and not dependable, we would be hearing and seeing a lot more.

I can name 10 actual knuckleheads that never got it and I don't see it with KPJ, I am not saying he is a cornerstone type of guy but i don't see him being a detriment to team either sometimes you need an emotional guy.

I have no idea why you think he is a detriment to this team, i don't see him rubbing off negatively on anybody.[/QUOTE]

Part of it is I am privy to what some people around the team have said about him and he is at least viewed as moody and difficult and unpredictable.

The coaches and players do not know which Kevin Porter will show up to practice or the games.

Being around him is like walking on egg shells..... and that gets difficult for a team.

I can say that these same people have told me that they think he can be a nice guy when he is in a good mood and wants to do well but has a lack of self control.

As far as what he has actually done...... when you are struggling (and yes he has struggled this year (he just now is up to 40% from the floor, has a negative WS, and a PER of under 12) and your coach suggests you go to morning practice, you go to morning practice.... especially in a sport as competitive as the NBA. Second, he has had a large number of absences (most excused), but it is noticed.... and he has lost his composure on the court and cut his effort numerous times... and leaving the team at half time is a big deal.

You add all that up and that is a LOT of baggage... and that isn't even going into his prior stuff with assault, flipping the car with an unregistered gun, getting removed by security with the CAVS.

So I am not saying I am right. That is just my opinion and I hope I am wrong.

I am pretty sure that having Porter, Wood and Schroeder together is a bad idea.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with this and have no idea why Wood and Schroeder are still on this team.

Nook likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I was told that they don't think the offers for Wood were near good enough and haven't ruled out a quicker rebuild with Wood..... but I don't think that is going to happen. Schroeder is there to supposedly provide veteran leadership but he isn't a good choice... I think he is there because Stone doesn't want to admit he screwed up signing the center this summer.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

You are mistaken the Rockets Drafted him straight out of the D League in 2021. With all that mouth and you got the wrong player geez

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All I did is post twice that Kevin Porter Jr was drafted in 2019 (by the Cavs with the 30th pick in the first round) and you give me “with all that mouth”? After you have twice insulted me for being ignorant? I was talking about KPJ because you responded to a post about KPJ being in the league for 3 years with “he hasn’t been in the league for 3 years”. But if you are talking about Jalen Green then yes the rockets drafted him after one year in the G league and he is a rookie so hasn’t played for three years in the NBA.

Roomba and jiggyfly like this.
  11. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Unreal I try to tell you in the get go, to give this young boy a chance. But you starting saying he been in the NBA for 3 years which I knew you wrong. The moral of the story before belittling someone know what you are talking about geez

12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

You are in a Kevin Porter thread. Kevin Porter has been in the NBA for 3 years.

You are on an English language message board. English language boards post in English.

Try to get at least one of these two things right.

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Kevin Porter Jr. (born in 2000) was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers with the 30th pick in 2019. He played there for a season, threw soup the second season and got traded to us, played in the d-league for a few games and got chance to start at PG for his 3rd season. I know you're probably joking but just in case you weren't, here's his timeline.