1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grilled Chicken Tips & Recipes?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Roscoe Arbuckle

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I suspect there is some bizarre reason behind this (likely political, if so, you should take it to D&D), but not sure why? Is there something in the recipe you find wrong? I'd found a number of her recipes to be delicious. This one especially.

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

Lol. Seriously? She's been completely ostracised due to her getting busted for bullying people on twitter, including telling a teenager to kill herself.

https://www.insider.com/chrissy-teigen-tweets-bullying-feuds-drama-timeline-2021-6

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

OK... I enjoy her recipes, including the one I posted. I also enjoy Paula Dean recipes (especially her chicken pot pie) despite her past problems which were very offensive. Some times you have to focus on the question here ("gee, any preferred chicken recipes?") and don't get into the personalities.

5. Roscoe Arbuckle

At least Paula Deen writes her own recipes...

6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Nah, I prefer low heat to keep the meat moist. That's just me and how I do it. I'm sure you are correct that some people cook with high heat, but that ain't how I do it.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Buy air chilled chicken.

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Brine.
    Always brine.
    For boneless chicken breast I brine with 1/4 kosher salt to 4 cups water for 30 min. I also do a two zone grill, sear on both sides with lid open, then move to “cold” side (really just low heat) with closed lid.

bone in brine takes longer.

WestendMassive, B-Bob and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Cryotherapy for chicken?

I guess I can drop it off at the place by the meathead gym for a bit.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What about chicken fajitas?

I usually marinate in Italian dressing overnight, but wondering how you guys do it. Gas grill for me.

11. marky :)

marky :) Member

I cheat and go find a La Michoacana and buy already marinated meat. Couple minutes on the grill and I'm good.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m simple with my marinades, usually because I’m forgetful and lazy. For chicken fajitas I use a little canola oil, CUMIN, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, minced garlic, and fresh cilantro.

ima_drummer2k and Buck Turgidson like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

That's pretty much what I do but with a tablespoon of soy sauce and some lime or orange juice.

@Xerobull, since you asked for recipes too, my ladyfriend reminded me last night to cook this pasta-salad-ish dish again soon

***ETA: if you're one of the unfortunates who do not have a grill, just cook the chicken on the stove, it's still delicious

Grill your boneless skinless chicken breasts, no real need to marinate them, I just rub them with olive oil and sprinkle on a little salt and italian seasoning and let them sit on the counter for a bit. You can do this ahead of time or while the pasta's cooking, it'll be warmed up in the pot later

You need:

- 1 grill, 1 stock pot, 1 can opener, 1 knife, 1 cutting board, 1 spoon
    - pasta (I like fusilli but any pasta with some nooks and crannies to hold onto stuff will work)
    - shallot and garlic
    - jar of pesto
    - can of artichoke hearts
    - shredded parmesan (up to you whether you want the pre-shredded stuff or grate it yourself, just don't use the powder)
    - 1 or 3 or whatever of whatever you like: roasted red peppers (jarred or self-roasted), sauteed mushrooms, baby spinach, diced black olives, etc...again, whatever you like or think you'll like.

I don't have measurements, but decide how much you want to make and cook the pasta accordingly. This is good hot or cold and makes great leftovers so I usually make 8 servings or so for 2 people.

1. cook pasta, dump in colander, set aside
    2. while pasta is cooking, drain and chop artichokes into bite size pieces (it will kind of fall apart later so don't be picky), slice mushrooms/peppers, dice olives, all that stuff. Prep work.
    3. rinse pasta pot and saute some shallot and garlic in olive oil for a minute or so, add mushrooms here if using (cook to desired texture, you can also saute them in a separate skillet while the pasta is cooking to save time), add artichokes and let cook for a few minutes, then add spinach/olives/red pepper and cook until the spinach is fully wilted or the other stuff is hot (somewhere during this step, if drinking white wine while cooking, I've been known to throw a splash in the pot)
    4. add pesto. I like pesto so I use a healthy amount. You can always add more later if you want, it's a personal taste thing. Let it heat up for a minute and cut up your grilled chicken
    5. add chicken, stir and let warm up
    6. add pasta, stir and let warm up
    7. adjust pesto/salt/crushed red pepper/whatever you think it needs
    8. serve topped with parmesan

It sounds like a lot of work but it's literally a 30-minute meal with minimal stuff to clean afterwards.

#53 Buck Turgidson, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Xerobull likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

High heat sealing in juices has been disproven by science. I, too, believed it for a long time.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, that was one of the revelations I learned about a few years ago after hearing it repeated everywhere and believing it. Meathead Goldwyn's book, Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling, goes into a bunch of common myths about grilling/bbq'ing from a more scientific angle.

An excerpt for that exact myth can be found here. Also saw Alton Brown talking about it in a show and on Twitter.

16. Roscoe Arbuckle

There is no way a baked chicken comes out better cooked at a low heat.

17. droxford

droxford Member

I find that a grill set to around 450 degrees, and around 5-6 minutes per side on large chicken breasts works best. This needs to be adjusted based on the thickness of the breasts. If you go higher on the heat, it sears the outside and leaves the insides undercooked. Lower heat doesn't sear as well, takes longer to cook and leaves the meat kinda rubbery.

This is my go-to recipe for grilled chicken marinade. I would love to get other recipes, though.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

@Buck Turgidson mentioned lime juice in marinade. Agree but want to urge caution too: lime juice can really toughen things like fajita strips if you use too much.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

Good point, I don't use much and you really don't need to marinate chicken for more than a few hours.

If I'm sous vide-ing chicken before browning on grill/stove I use lime zest.

B-Bob likes this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

measuring % weight before and after proves water loss, but I’m not so sure the conclusion should be to not do it. It can still have a usefulness wrt tenderness. The scientific reasoning behind that involves internal steam, whereby you don’t want the release of internal juices to happen too soon.