1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Griffey Jr. back to the Mariners

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketKobe24, Feb 18, 2009.

1. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...cB?slug=ap-mariners-griffey&prov=ap&type=lgns
    Griffey Jr. is one of my favorite players of all-time and still is, I loved when he was a Mariner, Hated him as a Red. I hate the Reds for some reason. Nice to see him back as a Mariner where he'll probably finish his career there.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

As a Braves fan this is just another move that we thought would happen this off-season but ended up failing. :mad:

3. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

Braves look like they are kind of falling apart, Losing John Smoltz is a pretty big loss. As for Griffey Jr. I remember he requested a trade from Seattle in the late 90s simply because the Field he played in was probably the toughest to hit Home runs in. Either he forgot about the field or he just wants to go back to the team everybody will remember him as.

4. Landlord Landry

did griffey ever play in safeco?

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

We fell apart about 2 or 3 years ago.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

He left Seattle after the '99 season. Safeco opened in July '99. So he got a 1/2 season in there. But I remember the primary reason for Griffey wanted to leave was because he wanted to be closer to his family in Florida, especially after his neighbor Payne Stewart died in a plane crash. I remember the Marlins and maybe Rays being mentioned as possible destinations but he was willing to go to Cincy because that's where he grew up while his dad was a Red.

7. zantabak1111

zantabak1111 Member

The Mariners have 2 aces in bedard and hernandez, if they could ever field a decent offense they could tear up a weak AL west.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i bet there will be a remake of that famous rookie card of his. except now it will just have the old version of griffey on there.

9. Olajuwon2Yao

Olajuwon2Yao Member

I always thought he wanted to leave because safeco was such a huge park he wasn't getting home runs when he thought it was in the Kingdom dome, or what their previous stadium was called.

Griffey Jr. is my favorite player of all-time, I am from the Chicago area and I appreciated what he did for the White Sox during the 2nd half of the season last season.