1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GreKevGun Assists and Turnovers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 29, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

In my mind I don't believe in anyone on the team yet.....KPJ nor Green, they need to get better and see, I still don't see a GUARANTEED star player...just some solid maybes.

I thought that stuff was just incredibly stupid and don't like giving any air....so I leave them alone.....clearly that crap is beyond dumb.

DD

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'm a Rockets fan 1st so i criticize or applaud as i see fit... Not even being a fan boy , but Green is that dude!.. As far as the turnovers, it doesn't bother me.. I just can stand the unnecessary ones.. All of em can use some dribbling and anticipatory passing tutorials this offseason.

I do like that fact that lately , the offense isn't predicated on KPJ setting up shots for everybody.. I feel he's picking his spots to score just fine this season.. The low dribbling while trying to come off pnrs is what drive me crazy with him.. Always results in a turnover it seems..

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

#23 ApacheWarrior, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

The correct answer is clearly Kevperen Sengreen.

5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You are one of the most pathetic people on here

aaquaa and clutchdabear like this.
  6. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Look in the mirror.

7. xaos

xaos Member

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Thank you xaos....it's kind souls like yours that give
    me the courage to oppose abusive tyrants like @King1

Bless you

don grahamleone and xaos like this.
  9. King1

Damn. You're legit scared of me

aaquaa likes this.
  10. King1

I did. Just tossed your mother a towel

11. DaDakota

I thought you were going to try to do better...lol

What happened?

DD

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Rockets fans more than any other fans should know by now there's such a thing as acceptable turnovers.

When you look at turnovers, always glance at two things: Assists and FTA. Both of these things increase your TO's. You'll notice that the players who have crazy good asst/to ratio (for example Chris Paul) will not get you freebies at the line very often. You'll also notice that any player going to the line like 10 times is turning it over 3-4 times a game, and that's true for practically all great playmakers.

With Jalen, he's averaging 3.2 TO's which is ok for a big scorer, however he's only going to the line 5 times and getting 4 assists. He needs to improve on this but as we all know this guy learns FAST and works HARD off the court. You can see his FTA's and assists going up while his turnovers remain static which is a good sign. Could be doing better, but definitely trending upward.

Sengun makes silly mistakes at time but as a big man he is averaging more assists than turnovers and going to the line almost 5 times a game. In general, Sengun's issues on the court are related to the choices he makes rather than anything else. He has regressed from last season but that's likely because they've told him to focus on the big picture offense and defense before getting fancy with the passes. It looks like we're trusting him more though and he's generally good at getting to the line. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I don't think he was trying or being asked to generate assists so I don't grade him for that time. Like Jalen, he's likely to trend upward.

With KPJ I don't know what to say without being critical. 6 assists to 4 TO's and going to the line 5 times while handling the ball as often he did was just bad. He's the PG and should be head and shoulders above these 20 year old sophomores at this point in his career. I can say what's going well is we're simply not going through him 100% anymore and moving away from him dominating the ball so much. That's probably best for the team and fairest to KPJ himself, because he's an excellent scorer off the ball and an underrated defender. He's going to succeed a lot more this way and it will be excellent for his career.

On any stable veteran team, each of these guys would be doing a lot better. I've often said it's not fair to compare our young players to their counterparts on teams that play vets a lot of minutes. The 3 of them are better than this, but one unfortunate consequence of trying to develop 7 draft picks and KPJ at the same time is that they will certainly compound each others' problems. On the bright side, if they develop well, they will compound each others' success powerfully. I feel like we're heading towards that now and you'd have to be blind to not see that these guys are slowly but surely learning team defensive and offensive concepts. They're thinking less and knowing what to do more. I knew that it would soon be Jalen and Sengun's turn to partake in playmaking, but everyone was so negative as though we were doomed with KPJ running the offense alone. Things are going really well now, we have to just be patient with slow improvement. After this road trip, our schedule is much easier and I believe you're going to see some surprises from this team.

We have mostly unselfish guys on this team and that's one of the pieces of evidence I take into consideration when I say this core is really special. It has more unselfishness and more off court hard work than any core we've had.

cmoak1982, theDude, aaquaa and 4 others like this.
  13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Explain to me why you think garbage time minutes are not valuable on a team with young developing players. Playoff teams take their starters out for garbage time to preserve them for the playoffs. We are not making the playoffs. I see no reason not to play them until the end.

14. DaDakota

KPJ is not a PG, we don't play a PG - just like the Bulls with Jordan and Ron Harper - or the Golden State Warriors with Curry and Clay or any number of teams these days that play 2 COMBO guards instead of a PG.

But willfully ignorant people stuck in 1980s nomenclature just keep on ****ing that football.

DD

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, you came at me with a verbal knife.

Yeah, you scary. I'm thinking of filing a restraining order on you.

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He is a monster.....far worse than KPj ever was

17. King1

I am and have been better but admittedly that was uncalled for

18. King1

Lol at file a restraining order on King1 from the internet. Good luck.

I shouldn't have made the mother comment. For that I apologize

xaos likes this.
  19. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People complaining about the minutes played - are not counting the fact that it’s in Denver! Playing at that altitude sucks…specially when you playing them basically back to back in their building.

You sit the starters and let others get some run and get ready to practice and clean up mistakes.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya but the Nuggets weren't fielding their championship caliber roster during garbage time.