1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GreKevGun Assists and Turnovers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 29, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am liking what we are seeing from our 3 ball handlers on offense, our assists have ticked up significantly out of these three in the last 10 games.

Green is averaging 5.8 assists in the last 10 games
    KPJ is averaging 7.1 assists in the last 10 games
    Sengun is averaging 2.8 assists in the last 10 games

All are above their career averages and we are trending towards being a much more effective team.

However, with young players comes a lot of mistakes, many compounded by trying to do too much after an initial mistake.

Green is averaging 4.0 turnovers in the last 10 games
    KPJ is averaging 4.1 turnovers in the last 10 games
    Alpi is averaging 2.9 turnovers in the last 10 games.

Between our big three ball handlers that is 15.7 assists a game, and 11 turnovers per game.......not exactly quality offensive production.

But....BUT ......they are young, they are learning how to play together, SIlas it seems has finally figured out that they all 3 need to start, and I think this will get better over time - as we have initiators and not just 1 or 2.

All we need as an audience is patience, and enjoy the ride, we are a few years away from contending but if these 3 plus JABARI and this year's pick become our core - it could be VERY VERY exciting.

Let's all start enjoying the development - it is going to be a long bumpy ride.

DD

O-dawg, Bo6, don grahamleone and 4 others like this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

Its not a good time people are losing their minds on this board(even sensible smart, people) because Silas didnt want to put our starters back in, in garbage time.

Yall really need to get a grip.

topfive, B-Bob, txtodd and 6 others like this.
  3. DaDakota

That is stupid, he did give up early, but the starters played like ass in the 3rd with no energy, they lost the plot, it is a good teaching moment to let them think about it and watch from the bench - and put them back out Wednesday - maybe they will play together all game instead of just a half.

Either way, the chances of us beating Denver as we are still young all over the court are pretty low......other than EGo our oldest starter is 22 years old.....we need to temper expectations.

DD

4. HP3

HP3 Member

I get you, but as someone who watched last night WE DID NOT GIVE UP EARLY.

Garub and Goon squad got whooped by DeAndre Jordan and Friends. It was like 8 minutes to go with a lead of 20, the game was over.

And duhhh....we are trying to get Wemby(not talking to you here DD, just addressing others).

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Missed the opportunity to use Scoot4Alpi in the title.

6. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Most of those TOs are the result of the stagnant 5-out offense the youngsters play.
    TOs are easy to accumulate if the receiver of the pass is as inert as cricket wickets.
    Nobody (except for KMJr and sometimes Tate) is looking to go get the ball. Everybody's waiting to the ball to come to them.
    Once off-ball movement is adopted, the TOs will go down and the assists will increase.

7. DominantBig

DominantBig Member

It’s not about winning, it’s about those young guys getting to play against a championship caliber team. The minutes played last night is embarrassing.

aaquaa likes this.
  8. DaDakota

Yes, our bench was terrible, and being down 20 with 8-9 minutes to go and tossing in the towel is a bit early, especially with the 3pt shot, but who honestly cares?

The starters played poorly in the 3rd we had tons of turnovers - don't care by whom - and we got behind, too much hero ball and not enough of what got us in the game in the first half which was team ball.

It happens, we are young, that is entirely my point.

They need to earn that - and we play them again tomorrow - don't you think they will be itching to come out now? To me this is 100% the right thing to do.

Yep, they will come down as chemistry and movement come.....again....KPJ is 22, Green is 20, Alpi is 20 - they are insanely young.

DD

HP3 likes this.
  9. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think this is a good attitude. At the end of the day, it's tough not to get passionate about a player, but with a rebuilding team, it's best to keep some emotional distance. Reality is that if we end up drafting Scoot, he will be the starting PG and KPJ will be repurposed somewhere or traded, and if we draft Wembanyama (let's hope!), Sengun will be repurposed or traded as well. If we draft someone else, it's going to depend on the position that person plays and that person will be starting.

10. xaos

xaos Member

Been saying this since the "tank or playoffs" thread.

Now that we have talented young players it makes the medicine go down a but easier, bit we had to go through a process to get there.

#10 xaos, Nov 29, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
  11. DaDakota

And we are still at the beginning of that process.....tired of people leaping to inane conclusions like this is year 5 of our rebuild when it is only year 2.

DD

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like ScootyGreenPee.

13. xaos

xaos Member

The teardown was trading Harden
    The day 1 of rebuild was drafting Green. Most rebuilds take time. We're on schedule and I'm here for it.

The plan has always been to bottom out before we owed OKC. We are in the last year of talent accumulation mode via draft.

If I'm being honest I feel like you've been on the side of being impatient mostly up until now.

14. DaDakota

No, I want to win, but that is like game day DD.....after games I know what is up....where we are....but during the games.....I can't help but want to win.

I just get tired of people overly criticizing a developing player, and not doing the same to others....in fact it is ok to say...well he played bad, but man, the hate has been strong on KPJ - and that is mind numbingly stupid....

DD

gfab-babyboi and don grahamleone like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Some of the turnovers are simple fixes
    others are on other players and not them

I think Sengun got a travel because he picked up his dribble and no one moved
    I think Green did a shuffle pass to someone and it just fumble through the person's hand
    I think I seen where the play was left but the person went right . ..so the ball just sailed
    I cannot vouch for all of them but I have seen some straight bone header throw it to an empty space type things

Rocket River

16. Ancient Moabite

Turnovers are tricky especially when considering the usage plus youth factor trying to get use to speed of the game/pressure, its four quarters which for Green/KPJ is one per quarter of breaking down the turnover avg over past 10 games, which isn't bad but needs to be cut down by one (at least)

The premier guards/playmakers usually have high turnovers but they get glossed over because of the other stuff they do like filling up the stat sheet majorly as those like Kidd/Bron etc

Indeed it will be a bumpy road and hopefully they navigate it to where they can put it on cruise control, which the only way out the fire is thru the fire(via experience)

17. xaos

xaos Member

You wanted to bench Green for Gary Bird
    You thought Green should've been picked 8-12
    You were upset we drafted Green instead of a "sure thing"
    To me, those were also mind numbingly stupid takes

If I were to guess, deep in your core you still don't believe in Green. You have to kind of fake it until you make it with him because overall you're just a die hard loyal fan. You probably rank Green as the same level prospect as KPJ and it frustrates you that you think you see the same player, but people praise Green but **** on KPJ.

They are not the same prospect.

18. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The weirdest thing is he gets triggered that there are folks that unnecessary hating on kpj for his off court issues which is true but I didn't see his a$$ making any complaint when Green was being hated on for his looks, lack of masculinity and hair style.

Man acting like kpj is the only poor dude getting slammed by the community

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

or GreenPeeGun

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You were told to eat more peas and greens. Now scoot.

DaDakota and Os Trigonum like this.