1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gregerson out

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Hank McDowell, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Closer leaves the team to be with his wife for the birth of their first child. Under the circumstances, does anyone here have an issue with that?

I can't fault the guy, but damn, the timing couldn't possibly be much worse. Kind of a no win situation for him. Normally, it would be a no brainer, but the team is in full collapse mode and could really use their closer right now. It's just a game, but it's also his career. Tough one I'm sure. I'm just curious who, if anyone, has a problem with his choosing to leave the team right now given the current status of things.

This should be good...

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Nope. No problem.

3. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

no issue at all if he comes back ASAP for this weekends homestand. Supposedly (per Julia Morales Chron article quote) he missed the actual birth and had to watch it on facetime at airport or something like that.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

OP apparently has the problem. I do not. Family trumps career under any circumstance.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

no issue at all. though it's kind of interesting...he signed here a little over 9 months ago. possible indicator of his expectations of the team this season?

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Or they celebrated like hell that night....

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its his first child... but even then, it should not matter one bit.

The bullpen is obviously pretty close... and anybody who's familiar with Pat Neshek's tragic story will never think twice about how important it is to be there for each/every birth.

I guarantee you the team will give him all the time he needs.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

On that note, does anybody think the current MLB players are also fans of the entire organization? Do you think they're following the progress of the drafted players like Bregman, Cameron, etc?

To me, that would be surprising... which actually helps put things in perspective. They likely care very little about the stocked minor league system that could help things in years to come... they only know and care about what's with them right now.

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

No problem whatsoever. F.O.E.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

No problem. There are things bigger than baseball.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Let him go. I'm good with it. However, what we are seeing is who is showing up and who is bailing when the pressure is on. It's ok to bail or to fail this first time, as everyone is learning what they are made of this first go, but do this twice and we'll know what the verdict is. All these guys better come back and deliver in round 2 this year, or next year.

12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

What does this mean? You said you're "good with it", but then are you also saying he's "bailing when the pressure is on" ?

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

well, it certainly sounds like you're good with it...

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What are these "rounds" you speak of, and where can we get the exact dates as to when they begin/end?

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Family matters more than career.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Family over everything.

17. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Family always comes first. Baseball will still be there, but the birth of your first child wont happen again.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm ok with players bailing out or sucking out under pressure. It happens a lot. Not everyone on the roster will show up like Cal Ripken. But I give everyone a chance to learn about themselves and look in the mirror. They can change. They can grow up. That is happening right now. Round 2 will be our next series against Texas. Let's see who shows up. And then next season will be the final test as to who can cut it or who can't if we cannot get it done this year. Some players never get over their issues. Some players work through them. Some wake up. Right now most of the Astros are choking hard under the bright lights.

19. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

Hey, the OP asked if anybody had a problem with it, so "yes, I do" was well within the realm of acceptable answers, and you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but, goodness, your accusations toward a guy who wanted to see his kid be born sure are cuckoo to me.