1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greg Smith to be released

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by srrono, Dec 22, 2011.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He hustles but he barely did much.

Adrien looked much better IMO. Yeah he's 20 and looks the part but that really doesn't mean much...I could find a lot of college freshmen that are 20 and look the part...

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wait a minute. Is Greg Smith released or not? This thread is hanging around too long.

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Just checked the "Transactions" posted on NBA.com and it is still not referenced for Wed, Thur or Friday...

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok then, tell me which other college freshmen are 20, at least 6'11, built like a tank, has no health problems, has really huge ass hands, guaranteed to hustle on the court and we could still realistically get.

Oh yeah before you put up some random dudes please show us a video showing he has enough ups to make break away dunks on the court.

5. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Just wondering? If he is that good, if he has that much potential, why did the whole NBA pass on him during draft? Its been a while since the draft, why has no NBA team given him a place on their roster? There are so many other teams looking for a center.

6. giddyup

There was a lockout.

7. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Just because teams pass on a player during draft and offseason, it doesn't mean they suck. The defensive hustler types usually don't get as many looks as flashy players. Their impact is not always visible in stats.

Ben Wallace went undrafted and has multiple All-defense and All-star teams.

Chuck Hayes was overlooked also. He has outlasted many drafted rookies, who never got a 2nd contract.

Rockets beat out other teams to sign Greg Smith. It's only been 1 day since Greg has been released.

Due to the lockout, there was no summer league, where undrafted players usually get evaluated and picked up. Wesley Matthews went undrafted and was signed after a summer league stint for Utah.

1 person likes this.
  8. cod

cod Member

Dec 24, 2011 6:06 PM

He was waived on Friday, but says the organization really likes him, and he will play for their D-League team, before hopefully, getting another shot at the top level. Smith seemed very positive, driven and content. He's happy to be back in Fresno for the holidays with friends, family, and his daughter. He heads back to Houston next week.

http://www.kmph.com/story/16388460/gr

1 person likes this.
  9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

YESSS!!!;) Still got a chance with him.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I agree. Adrien looked like a defensive beast out there. Like he could be a star linebacker in the NFL. Remains to be seen if he'll just flame out as the next Joey Dorsey, but at least he won't be playing center this time.

Also, when it comes to basketball minds, I like to think that Joey Dorsey is about as bad as it gets. Like if you had a "Basketball IQ" scale that ranged from Steve Nash to Joey Dorsey, then Joey Dorsey would get a 0 on that scale.

11. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Jeese.. No wonder he came out so early... He needs the money now..

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He should go to Europe, he would make a lot more $$$ there while he gets better.

DD

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

True. The D-league isn't too shabby, but it's nothing compared to the financial opportunuties overseas.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

My thoughts exactly. I never understand why a lot of people on this board act like cutting some bench warmer is a big deal.

15. giddyup

Interestng: 6:06 PM on Dec 24 is about 6 hours from this moment. More Morey Magic? :cool:

Still not showing up on NBA.com Transactions but I'll take Greg's word; I hope he can hang around the Rockets and make a contribution someday.

It's just that some of those guys always make it big in all of the pro leagues. Who doesn't want a freebie? It's an exciting (but thankless as a fan) exercise to try and identify those guys ahead of time.

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well I agree with that but I don't think this is a move the Rockets will regret doing.

But I guess we will see

17. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The only reason to do the D-league is to be closer to a call up, but with being 20, you will get a lot more training in Europe than the Dleague, especially as a big, the Dleague is horrible for bigs, it is a wing dominated up and down no defense league...too much turnover to get any consistency....players just in it to make themselves look better for a call up....

Europe is better for development.

DD

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

D League worked well eNough for Jeff adrien.

19. giddyup

Do the pro leagues in Europe still place a limit on how many Americans can be on the squad? If so, do they save those spots for offensive-minded guys? Can you think of any bigs who came "back" to the NBA from Europe?

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Didn't he just come back from his European contract, and is he really a big?

DD