1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greenspan testifies about subprimes....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by OddsOn, Apr 7, 2010.

1. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Looks like me and many others were spot on with this whole subprime mortage debacle that plunged us into the recession.....out of the mouths of babes"

Actual Testimony Transcript

"Of far greater importance to the surge in demand, the major U.S. government
    sponsored enterprises (GSEs), Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, pressed by the U.S.
    Department of Housing and Urban Development1 and the Congress to expand “affordable
    housing commitments,” chose to meet them in a wholesale fashion by investing heavily
    in subprime mortgage-backed securities. and retained on investors’ balance sheets during 2003 and 2004.2 That was an estimated
    five times their share of newly purchased and retained in 2002, implying that a significant
    proportion of the increased demand for subprime mortgage backed securities during the
    years 2003-2004 was effectively politically mandated, and hence driven by highly
    inelastic demand. The enormous size of purchases by the GSEs in 2003-2004 was not
    revealed until Fannie Mae in September 2009 reclassified a large part of its securities
    portfolio of prime mortgages as subprime."

Actual Testimony Transcript

2. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Not one reply? I would have at least expected the usual diatribe of insults or poor attempts at mockery.....I must say I am a little dissappointed. :confused:

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Take your meds.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

So, the government pushed subprime loans when Bush was in office? Are you blaming Bush here?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

andy

it was a lot funnier when no one answered him

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I liked Greenspan better in the Fall of 2008 when he was panicked into telling the truth about how the financial markets cannot regulate themselves.

Now he is back to his libertarian ideology. Naturally is is being personally defensive about his love of deregualtion of the banks which contributed greatly to the mess. He is trying to blame others.