1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Green wasn't necessarily given up on/McHale says he could regret it

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Feb 22, 2008.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/15860807.html

Trade has Green flying high again
    By JERRY ZGODA, Star Tribune

The Timberwolves transformed Gerald Green from unhappy to ecstatic when they traded him back home to Houston at Thursday's 2 p.m. trading deadline.

The Wolves traded the young guard who has found slam-dunk celebrity but precious little playing time back home to Houston for Rockets swingman Kirk Snyder, a 2010 second-round pick and cash.

Green's agent last month asked the Wolves to trade his client, one of five players acquired from Boston last summer in the Kevin Garnett trade. The Wolves did so on Thursday because basketball boss Kevin McHale said he was "99.9 percent convinced" Green would not re-sign with the team this summer. Green will become an unrestricted free agent in July because last fall, the Wolves did not exercise a fourth-year option on his contract for next season.

"It's like a dream come true," Green told a Houston television station. "Never in my life did I think this would happen."
    Wolves coach Randy Wittman said Green, who entered the NBA directly from a Houston area high school in the 2005 NBA draft, became ensnared in a "logjam" of young wing players including Ryan Gomes, Rashad McCants, Corey Brewer and Randy Foye.

McHale said it became apparent in time that Green "probably was farthest away" from being ready to play among all the Wolves' young players.

"The coach is playing a lot of young guys already," McHale said, "and it's impossible to play them all."

Snyder, a physical 6-6 player Wittman projects at small forward, led Nevada to its first NCAA tournament Sweet 16 in 2004, but the 16th overall pick that summer has struggled to find his way in the NBA. A restricted free agent this summer, he is with his fourth team four seasons. He played nine games for the Rockets this season.

Asked if he considered the trade a gamble that might leave fans asking three years from now why the Wolves dealt Green, McHale said, "It could be. In three years, come see me."

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Umm...what did you expect him to say? This guy sucks and I know for a fact he will be out of the league in three years? :confused:

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

i was going to say the same thing.

4. macfan

I was one of the people who thought that the Celtics and Wolves had completely given up hope on Green. Because of that, I thought he had no chance of panning out.

Daryl Morey said that Green was dealt by the Celtics to bring Garnett in and now we know why the Twolves traded him. He would not re-sign with the Wolves so they didn't want to get nothing for him and they got Snyder and a pick.

You're right about the last quote. I was more focused on the previous statement where they said they knew he wouldn't resign, not that they dumped him.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

on one hand, they didn't pick up his option, so the above talk is just being nice, nice.

then again, he was a project and they might have been trying to lowball him with a cheaper contract.

6. Nero

Nero Member

Well, if I grew up in Houston, and I had been stuck in places like Boston and Minnesota for 3 years, I would be happy to get home too.

Freaking 20 below zero in Minnesota - I couldn't get out of there fast enough myself.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Umm all he could have said was, "No, it was not a gamble." Simple as that. But of course, he just lying and being nice right because nobody in Sports says anything mean or truthful. :rolleyes:

Why would they pick up the option if the kid didn't like being there? Mine as well get him off the books.

8. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

So, any chance we bring him back next season?

9. macfan

Morey said we have the upper hand on signing him because he loves Houston and the Rockets are in a better contractual position because of the type of contract that Green has. The Rockets will get a first hand look at him and they don't have to gamble, they can make an objective evaluation.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Who cares about Green.....I wanna know if we can sign Landry!!

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

AMEN TO THAT !!

DD

12. theREALDEALkid

Gerald Gren does not suck, alot of you ppl probably haven't even seen him play...im from boston, and i used to watch Green last year when the celtics were losing...hes a younger more athletic better shooting Bonzi wells, this kid can do things for this team and plus he's happy to play...look at randy moss when he got traded to the pats ppl thought he was washed up..but when ur happy its a whole different story....i have FAITH IN GERALD GREEN

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope you are correct sir !

DD

14. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

The only thing that worries me about Landry definitely resigning with us is his agent.

Buddy Baker doesn't have any big players in the NBA. Carl is it. So his dealings with future players hinges on what he does with Carl. All of his (and his agency's) basketball clients other than CL are in Europe .

I am afraid he's going to make it difficult.

At least now we have some wiggle room in the off season that we didn't have before yesterday.

#14 Hayesfan, Feb 22, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I don't see how this changes anything. The guy is a bust.

I can't wait to hear from the Gerald Green fans the first time we lose and the "if we played Green we would have won." threads begin. My God it will be worse than VSpan.

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Morey said we picked him up because he's an expiring contract and each player requested a trade. He said Green is a project and we'll take a look at him the rest of the season. If we think he can grow as a player and plays well during camp, we'll probably offer him a min contract.

The only time he'll ever see the court is if we need him to defensively match-up against a big/fast 2-guard.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

calm down

it doesnt make sense to label 22-23 yr olds as busts. thats what ppl said about jermaine oneal. the guy is basically a rook

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

The one plus we have is that a lot like Yao, Landry is loyal to a fault. As long as Les and Morey show up at his door at midnight the minute free agents can be courted, I think he will agree to stay.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I can't calm down. It's Friday son!!!

Seriously, you are probably right about it being too soon to label him a bust but he is with what, his 3rd team now? He played for the worst team in the NBA and couldn't get on the court. I would think by now he would have shown somebody something that would make a team hold on to him.

20. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Nobody is saying he's going to be our savior and lead us to a title. All people are saying that he is worth a look because he has loads of potential. You call him a bust yet you probably never really seen him play aside from highlights. Ask Boston fans and they'll tell you that they loved Green when he was there.

How is he a bust? He wasn't projected a lottery pick or anything. Nobody said he would become a superstar right out of the gate. Darko is a bust, Kandi man is a bust, Sam Bowie is a bust. Those are real examples of a 'bust'. Green is still a "project".