1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Green and Whitmore off the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Jan 17, 2024.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

#1 has there ever been a team USA coach that put down a player ?
    #2 can you post a clip of jalen green going to the floor for a ball ?

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Is Sengun = Embiid/Jokic

Those teams can actually play 5 out with their centers.

hlmbasketball likes this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I still don't know why they can't figure that part out.....its simple!

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Fair point, I hope Sengun can fix his 3 point shooting soon

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

1. These were thoughts and observations from one of the Team USA coaches Jamahl Mosley, Grant Hill, and a couple of reporters that were at the scrimmages. If you don’t believe in anything they say then everything they say would be a lie to you. Furthermore if you don’t trust these reports then you shouldn’t trust anything the media reports or any direct quotes or observations from any player or coach in the NBA. Neither you or I know if anyone is lying. It’s what’s observed and reported. The point was that he is developing and growing. If he wasn’t did he fool all these PROFESSIONAL coaches, scouts, trainers into somehow getting an invite to scrimmage with Team USA. Yet you deny the mere fact that he received praise from these people.

2. Since when was going to floor a requirement for being “interested” or “engaged” in basketball? Going to the floor is a rare occurrence in itself and not every player goes to the floor including stars. It’s not a requirement and it’s a rare occurrence. And by not going to the floor doesn’t necessarily equate disinterest. The member used the word “disinterested”.

Yes I am sure I have seen him dive for a ball. No I don’t have a clip because I don’t own all the videos to all the games he has played in. When’s the last time you seen Durant go to the floor? How about Haliburton? How much of what you are saying is judgement and bias versus reality? It seems no matter what he does at this point he will be judged and demonized held to some unrealistic standard or concept.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Green will not develop next to FVV. He, Amen, and Cam need to be playing up tempo together. By the trade deadline next year or at the latest after next year FVV will be gone. By then at the very least Amen and Cam will be ready to start and maybe even Jalen.

Stephen_A likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

(a) I think FVV's contract is basically untradeable until expiring.
    (b) FVV knows how to play basketball. We already tried the run-up-and-down thing for a while and let Jalen and his old pal do what they wanted. I can still smell those bad days.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It’s not untradeable, but I get your point it may take until year three or he is just let go to make his own deal. He is only guaranteed for two years and if he is our starting pg after next year, things have gone horribly wrong. We didn’t have Amen and Cam, we had KPJ who was more of a ball stopper than FVV.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I am definitely high on Cam. Just not seeing a future where Jalen becomes a more efficient scorer, but I'd love to see it. And don't have high hopes for Amen yet. I'm not sure you could ever play 40% of your main lineup that couldn't shoot effectively.

But anyway, interesting take. I do hope some moves are made at this deadline or during the offseason.

cml750 likes this.
  10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Not convinced on Jalen either, but I’m seeing superstar in Amen. We just have to wait and see. I like our young players other than Jalen, which I still give a punchers chance to develop in a fast paced system.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I don't think I agree with the sentiment that Cam is a good defender. Better than Green is a low bar and honestly, a questionable take anyway.

Cam's the better shooter.

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I think they can find a happy medium. FVV just has to take a lesser role and just be used for what he’s good at (defense, handling, threes, 15-18 ft jumpers). But that’s why he has a 3rd year team option.

13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Good luck with that.

14. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If you're not seeing what I'm seeing, I don't know how to tell you to see it. I mean, to take the simplest example: If I were to stand along the baseline and vaguely extend my arm toward the guy I'm nominally guarding, but otherwise pay no attention to the play going on around me, and never actually set my feet in a way that would allow me to move quickly in any direction, and then completely ignore my man when the ball comes off the rim, I would call that not appearing to give a ****.

What particularly irks me about this kind of thing, which he does a lot, is that 1) it's about effort, not ability, and 2) it's the kind of thing that's harder to see in stats, because he's leaving the responsibilities to his teammates. If he focuses on the ball rather than the box-out, he might get more rebounds, but at the team's overall expense. And if his guy isn't the one who scores, that hurts the team's overall stats, but he doesn't get dinged in particular for not helping.

My point in this thread is to look at things *other* than his shooting percentage. I don't mind him having some bad shooting nights. He has the talent to get past that. What I mind, a lot, is him slacking.

15. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Yall are acting like cam whitmore is some sort of second coming of jordan
    He's also a black hole with minimal passing ability, hes just way bigger than jalen and so isn't getting pushed around like a string bean

They both have their flaws, lets not kid ourselves thinking that cam starting would be doing better than jalen starting

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

FVV won't be gone.

But someone else will be.

17. invocux

invocux Member

Wdym he will be better than Jordan.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

FVV will be gone after next season or trade deadline in 25. He is holding down the fort for Amen. He is not a complimentary player to our core. We should be a very fast paced team with the incredible athleticism we have amassed and that includes Sengun and Brooks.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No he will not be gone. Amen is very very very far from FVV. FVV is only 29.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Someone will be gone.