1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GREATEST SINGLE GAME MOMENTS IN ROX HISTORY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rox225, Jan 23, 2007.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Obviously, but there was still a Game 7 to play, which we could have lost. Dream blocking that shot was awesome. I, too, felt it would have gone in if he hadn't. But it wasn't nearly the climactic moment that Max's shot was 2 days later that started the celebration. Like someone said earlier, Max's shot was the moment we knew it was really & truly gonna happen.

2. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I picked Sampson's shot because of the pure stun value it had and the reverations felt.

I still remember Kareem lying on the floor covering his face in shock that the Lakers lost.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was Michael Cooper.

4. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Agree! specially against the best defensive team in the league!!
    Can't even handle one player! ;)

5. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Here it is the video with the OT tip by Hakeem, it includes the three-pointer that Magic scored to tie the game.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rKYYFeWaMEU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rKYYFeWaMEU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Another poll where the glaring option should have been left out if you really wanted to gather anything from the data.

Should have left the Kiss of Death out of it because we all KNOW that's #1 for most people already.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

this poll is invalid, not a single Maxwell game winner or NBA championship clinching shot.

8. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

13 in 35, and the dunk on Bradley.. have been some pretty good times.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Of all the moments on the list, The Sampson shot is the only game winner and series clincher. That actually sent a team off the floor and on the plane back home. At the time it was HUGE huge, unbelievable buzz in the city. Next day everyone went to their local court and tried to mimic the twirling flick-in sideways shot :).

I didnt get to watch the Game 6 Hakeem block on Starks. I was at a concert of all places so I couldnt feel the live impact.

I got an offer to go to a Rockets-Blazers game for FREE, the one where Hakeem blocked Strickland from behind in it.
    And I DECLINED?! :confused: (Geez, what kinda Rocket am I really? Maybe I'll just stop here...)

10. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

geez, give me a break here. Just put up the one's that I remember clearly, that stuck with me. Is there any way to add those options?

But the Olajuwon block on Starks for me takes precedent over any shot Maxwell hit in GM 7 b/c without that block there may be no GM 7 to hit a shot in.

And while he gave the Rockets a 7 pt lead with less than 2 minutes to go it still doesn't mean they lose that game if he doesn't hit that shot.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Max scored the last 7 points of Game 7.
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLQS5GncAbc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vLQS5GncAbc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
    what about these? obvious GREAT MOMENTS.

[​IMG]

Dec. 9, 1993
    With the Rockets trailing the Miami Heat 101-98 with 3.3 seconds remaining in regulation, Vernon Maxwell takes the inbounds pass, turns and hits a 30-foot heave at the buzzer to send the game to overtime, where the Rockets eventually pull out a 115-109 win to run their record to 18-1. “There was no skill involved at all," Maxwell says. “It was pure luck. But like Kenny (Smith) said afterward, if anybody can make that kind of shot, it’s me. Luck counts."

Jan. 13, 1995
    Mad Max does it again. Vernon Maxwell, who has made a history of nailing improbable, game-winning, buzzer-beating shots, swishes a 28-foot three-pointer with 0.4 seconds remaining to give the Rockets a 103-100 win over the San Antonio Spurs. With the game tied and 3.4 seconds on the clock, Maxwell catches the inbounds pass near midcourt, takes a couple of dribbles and launches the game-winner, sending an exuberant Compaq Center crowd into a celebratory frenzy.

Dec. 29, 1994
    Trailing the Golden State Warriors 124-123 with three seconds remaining, the Rockets need a miracle. Their prayers are answered by Vernon Maxwell. The Rockets guard is the beneficiary of a botched play when he finds his hands on the ball with the seconds winding down. Falling out of bounds, Maxwell turns and throws in an improbable three-pointer at the buzzer, leading to a wild Compaq Center celebration. “It lucked up being in my hands," Maxwell says. “I thought it (the shot) would be short, but it went in."

#51 tinman, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

Shame dude. and you forgot this too!

With his starting point guard, Kenny Smith, struggling in the series, Rockets head coach Rudy Tomjanovich turned to Cassell, who turned in a heroic fourth-quarter performance. Down two with less than a minute, Olajuwon fought for position down low. Going right, he found Ewing. Spinning left, he found Ewing. Looking for help, he found the rookie out at the three-point line.

As if born on the big stage, Cassell calmly canned it, and then added four free throws down the stretch to seal the deal, 93-89.

“We didn’t really pay him any mind, because he hadn’t really done anything during the season,” admits Starks. “But he hit some big shots in that series, especially in that Game 3. He was fearless.”
    [​IMG]

13. Pocket Rockets

i hope u mean buzzer beater?

14. tinman

Supporting Member

he mean "only game winner AND series clincher"

What people forget after the KOD is that the game DIDNT END. Rudy T decides to make it a foul shooting contest so the Suns could not get off a 3 to tie.

Ralph's shot was it, no time left in the game, and put the ROCKETS as an organization on the map and spotlight cause we beat one of the greatest teams on their own court on NATIONAL TV (YES YOUNGINs, NO CABLE BACK IN THE DAY). And the only thing on the radio and TV in houston was " WE WILL ROCK YOU".

I love Chuck, but beating Magic Johnson (5 Rings) in his prime was more impressive.

15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Sort of. The last play of the game deciding the outcome. Plus tinman's explanation.

The Hakeem block on Starks counts though it was defense. It kept the scoreboard the same but it was a play nonetheless - Like blocking a last second field goal in football.

Sampon's play was last second buzzer beating AND series clinching. Over a legendary Laker team who they WHOOPED in that series and created talk that the Twin Towers and Rockets were to be a force for many years to come. Imagine if Reggie Miller did that against the Bulls during their run.

17. Postpremium

Postpremium Member

Can you add Nick Anderson's free throw misses to the poll? And as a side note, everytime I see old clips I miss the unis!

18. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

13 in 33 seconds, McGrady ... for the win? Not even getting a mention on the poll?

Gene Peterson's orgasmic exclamation of "YEEESSSS" alone is enough to put that moment in elite class.

This poll sucks.

19. Shohoku79

Shohoku79 Contributing Member

After watching that block from behind on Strickland, I remembered there was one where Kevin Johnson was given a wide open pass and ready for the go ahead dunk right next to the basket, only to have Dream came from the weak side and swatted it away....

This was seen in quite a bit of Dream's clips, I remembered it was shown on the jumbotron during the player introduction a few years ago as well.

Does any one have that clip by itself?

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was in my 30s, and that was far and away the greatest shot in Rockets history, in my opinion. At the time, I had 8 foot ceilings, and I think I brushed mine with my hair (I had hair then) jumping up and down, screaming like a lunatic when Ralph made that shot. I'll never forget it. I know just how your Dad felt! :cool:

McCray doesn't get enough credit for the entry pass. It had to be perfect, and it was. Perfect enough, anyway.