1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest Pink Floyd Songs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cwebbster, Nov 23, 2005.

Tags:
?

Which one?

1. Comfortanly Numb

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Another Brick in the Wall

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Wish You Were Here

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  4. Shine on You Crazy Diamond

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. Pigs (Three Different Ones)

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. One of These Days

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Money

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. The Final Cut

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Hey You

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  10. Other

7 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

fearless
    lucifer sam
    fat old sun
    interstellar overdrive

2. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Lucifer Sam is a GREAT song.

3. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

That's my choice for today. Tomorrow it could be something different.

Might have to go dust off a few LP's.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Time is my #1A, the rest are #1B etc.

It's just describes the way I feel a lot of the time.

(Happy Thanksgiving! :) )

5. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

darkside of the moon is my favorite albulm of all-time. i never get tired of listening to it, just put it on my ipod

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

This is a tough one. I guess my list would look something like:

Comfortably Numb
    Fearless
    Time
    Shine On
    Goodbye Blue Sky
    Mother
    Free Four

On the actual poll, I selected Comfortably Numb because it was the first Floyd song that blew my mind and I consider it their masterpiece, one of their few late-period tunes where everyone seemed to be on the same page.

7. Win

Win Contributing Member

Nice thread webbster... I'm a little confused but know that mi amigo Manny will get me straightened out. Are 'One of these Days' and 'Careful With That Axe' two different songs? It's got to be one of my all time favorite R'R lines that 'One of these Days I'm gonna cut your pretty little head off'.

I lost my Ummagumma (what is the 1st song off that lp? Something Domine? It should be on the list) vinyl long ago and never replaced it. Bring me up to speed, Manny.

'Us and Them' and 'Echoes'. are two others I would single out left off the list. Probably many other injustices will flood my mind soon as I post this.

8. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

"One of These Days" & "One of My Turns" - Tie

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Win,

"Careful With That Axe, Eugene" and "One of These Days" are 2 different songs (they are both instrumentals). CWTAE actually appeared as a B-Side to a single (one that escapes me for the moment) and never appeared on any studio album. The live version, however, does appear as the 2nd track on disc 1 of the "Ummagumma" album. You can also find the studio version on the compilation "Relics" (highly recommended as it is also includes the singles that are not on any studio albums in "Arnold Layne" and "See Emily Play").

"One of These Days" is the first track off the great album, "Meddle". Nick Mason, the band's drummer, is the one who is saying "One of these days, I will cut you up into little pieces." (or something very close to that). It would be the only vocal that Mason ever had in his long career in Floyd. BTW, did you know that he is the only member of Pink Floyd to appear on at least one track of EVERY Pink Floyd studio album?

"Ummagumma" is a double album with one side being live stuff and the other side being studio stuff that was highly experimental such as Waters' "Several Species of Small Furry Animals..." The first track on the album is a live version of "Astronomy Domine" which is also the first track on the studio debut, "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn". I have never really gotten into Floyd pre-Meddle (especially "Atom Heart Mother") but the Ummagumma live disc, Relics, and Piper are all outstanding albums - they are just a little different from the classic Floyd sound.

10. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I vote for Another One of My Turns.

11. Win

Win Contributing Member

Hmmm, thanks for filling in the spaces, bro. All that pretty much jibes with what I remember, but now I wonder what it is Nick Mason says in 'One of these days'. My late brother and I always thought it was "I will cut off your pretty little head", but we were mostly high back then.

So, as a post Meddle lover have you ever listened to their old soundtracks (and I will get this wrong) Mor? and another one that starts with a Z I think. The cover has a young couple (I think) and was from a fairly provocotive movie in the early 70's.

I'm surprised you have not come to appreciate the Syd Baret era - though must admit I like his solo lps better than the Floyd stuff.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I think you are referring to "Zabriskie Point" but about all I know about it is the name. It isn't considered a true Floyd album mainly because there are only like 3 tracks on the album that were done by Floyd. Now, "More" is a soundtrack album that contains all Floyd songs including "Cymbaline", "Cirrus Minor", and "The Nile Song". It is an okay album but is one that I have listened to the least amount of times. Now the band also did a soundtrack album called "Obscured by Clouds" and released that in between "Meddle" and "Dark Side of the Moon". They are somewhat limited to what they can do since it is a movie soundtrack album but they are some fine underrated Floyd songs on there like the Rick Wright penned "Stay" as well as "Childhood's End", "The Gold It's In The..." and "Wot's...Uh The Deal". I actually listened to that album today in my car - not a top 5 Floyd album but one in their top 10, IMO.

13. droxford

droxford Member

Studio stuff:
    Southanmpton Dock
    When the Tigers Broke Free
    Wish you were here
    and (for kicks), Seamus

But before PF got really big, they did some slow blues in some of their live performances of which I have never heard better. I recommend looking for some bootlegs of PF blues jam bootlegs.

And, let's get the lyrics correct, gentlemen. It's:
    "One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces."

I saw Floyd at the Dome in '87 (or was it '88?)
    I like some of Meddle, and everything after meddle up to Division Bell (didn't like the bell)