1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Greatest Country In The World Votes To Cut Food Stamps To Poor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Thread needs more rolleyes to prove how politically savvy you guys are.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

So the defense of this legislation (which has no chance of becoming law, given Senate and POTUS veto) is to quibble about the exact extent of the cuts. I'm reading that correctly, I think.

If it's not much money at all, why is it worth doing? Are you fixing the budget or not? We have real problems in this country and addressing the size of the band aid (thank you, JuanValdez) we place on poverty as opposed to what keeps causing these wounds is, well, disappointing ... that would be the nicest term I can use by far.

3. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I'm fine with this cut. I think food stamps could be more effective if a greater amount of money was given to less people. That being said, you can't live off of food stamps, it is to Suppliment paying for food. Bottom this is a fine economic starting point, but insignificant really.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, starvation really would help cut the jobless numbers.

1 person likes this.
  5. treeman

treeman Member

I actually had a period of unemployment and did the SNAP thing for a couple of months, then didn't renew it when it came time. I thought I would need it but I never actually used it. It was nice to know it was available but it was a last resort.

Anyone with a brain can get a job if they want one. You might not always get the job you want, but if you are willing to work you will be able to feed your family.

And BTW, this is exactly the sort of moronic, meaningless statement that does nothing but confuse the situation. There is nothing in the proposal to cut benefits to anyone who actually needs it. The proposal is really only intended to get rid of some of the dead weight - people who refuse to get a job, people on drugs, etc. As far as I know many states already do this. Making it out to be armageddon is stupid, and trying to frame those who support such legislation as heartless haters of the poor is stupid and dishonest.

1 person likes this.
  6. treeman

treeman Member

Anyone who thinks this moves the dial even a millimeter on fixing the budget is in need of a reality check. The budget isn't getting fixed until we address the big 3 entitlements (Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security) and change the way we do our budgeting (elimination of the baseline budgeting process). Neither of those things is going to happen with our current Congress or our current POTUS.

It was mentioned earlier that this is really just both parties playing to their bases, and I think that is correct. That doesn't mean it's bad policy or shouldn't be done - I think it's hard to argue against measures meant to reduce fraud and abuse, and that are intended to discourage drug abuse - but expectations should be realistic.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

CometsWin, Their false god of the "free market" makes them immune to normal human sympath--. Just like the false god of scientific marxism made folks like many of the followers of Mao and Stalin immune from normal human sympathy.

8. treeman

treeman Member

But you can do it the right way, right glynch? With empathy? With the best interests of your fellow man in mind and heart?

Mao and Stalin likely started out the same way. But if we just try it one more time it won't work out the way it did before, I promise. We'll do it right this time.. Right?

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I am not sure why unemployment is so high, or poverty rates. If you can pass a drug test, you can find a well paying job in the oil and gas industry.

10. TheresTheDagger

^This^

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Maybe; the commercial side got a lot more competitive last decade when all the MBAs realized they wouldn't all be bankers or consultants, and I think all the fractionation hype has brought the same influx to operations. This is more in relation to Houston and Dallas markets, though.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You left off Jesus. He sorta started the empathy thing.

And really I don't think you would call Stalin empathetic. Russian "communism" was never anything but autocratic governmental feudalism gussied up with posters and slogans.

13. Raven

Raven Member

There needs to be a serious national discussion on whether libertarianism should be made illegal. Just kidding. Maybe.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Because liberals in California have done their best to shut down drilling, and now you've got a groundswell of liberals trying to stop fracking in other parts of the country.

So don't take for granted the responsible pro-jobs atmosphere that exists in Texas, enabling the middle class to flourish.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Joblessness is high because technology is rapidly (and cheaply) replacing traditional human labor while population totals are still increasing.

it's just math

16. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

This describes modern American libertarian thought pretty well.
    "It's a perfect system, it just hasn't been done right. Yet."

Of course the reason it (pure communism or pure libertarianism) hasn't been done right is because it can't. In the end the high concept has to be employed in the real world, and then it fails.

17. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This thread honestly have me a good laugh, republicans are honestly the biggest hypocrites on the planet.

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The cost of food stamps is buy a brand new entire freaking fleet of F22 fighters AND the Apollo program combined?

EVERY YEAR?

Jesus Christ WTF is going on, 80 billion a year?

So every year we could build the latest and greatest fleet of fighters, THEN send a dozen guys to the moon?

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Jobs versus Drinking water?

Decisions? Decisions? Decisions?

Rocket River

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Fighter bombers > feeding the poor = greatest country in the world

1 person likes this.