1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great way to get out of traffic tickets from HPD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsinsider, Aug 23, 2006.

1. rocketsinsider

Just run from them

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4135295.html

Aug. 23, 2006, 12:20AM

New HPD policy will limit chases
    By ANNE MARIE KILDAY
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

A new policy rolled out late Tuesday by the Houston Police Department will prohibit officers from chasing minor traffic offenders who refuse to stop.

ADVERTISEMENT

The new policy- read at roll call Tuesday night-was signed into immediate effect by Houston police Chief Harold Hurtt.

Houston Police Department Sgt. Nate McDuell said the new policy is aimed at limiting the number of high-speed police chases in the city.

``I think the chief is limiting chases. He is saying, 'We are not going to put officers, or the public, at risk for minor types of crimes.' If someone runs a red light, then we won't pursue them,'' McDuell said.

Officers would have discretion to pursue major offenders, such as suspected drunken drivers, or drivers who are chased into the Houston metropolitan area by other law enforcement agencies, McDuell said.

``This is a paramilitary organization, and when we are given orders, we follow those orders. I don't have a problem with that,'' McDuell said.

The change in the chase policy is a major one, McDuell acknowledged.

``This is a change, and officers will not chase for minor (traffic offenses) and officers will obey that rule and be happy with it,'' McDuell said.

Houston Police Officers' Association President Hans Marticiuc said the new policy will make officers less effective on the streets.

``Personally, I think it is an asinine policy at this point in the city's history,'' Marticiuc said. ``First of all, we've already got crime going up, and now let's tie the officers' hands a little bit more.

``This is a clear message to the criminal element (to) 'go ahead and run from the police,''' Marticiuc said.

Several HPD officers said late Tuesday that they were not happy with the change in policy. But they declined to comment on the record about why traffic offenders might not stop for police officers.

Marticiuc said that people run from police officers for several reasons.

``Sometimes, they run out of fear. Sometimes, it's other outstanding warrants for minor offenses,'' Marticiuc said. ``And sometimes, they run because they have committed a more serious crime. Why give those people the right to take off from us?``
    Marticiuc conceded that high-speed police chases often put police officers and the public in peril.

``We know that chases are dangerous, they are extremely dangerous,'' Marticiuc said. ``But rather than looking at how to shorten them and stop them, the message here is, ' Let's not chase (suspects) at all.'''

anne.kilday@chron.com

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Why don't you try it and tell us how it works?

It's a good policy btw.

3. rocketsinsider

yea i forgot the :rolleyes: , but anyways i always wondered why people bothered to run from the cops, cant they just get your liscense plate anyways?

4. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

An ex-gf had an uncle who got out of a ticket by explaining that the reason he was speeding was because he had terrible diarrhea and was trying to get home before a smelly accident. He did the whole leaning-over-clutching-stomach thing,and the officer let him go.

P.S. If you try this, it might be a good idea to have a brown torpedo prepared for launch if it looks like the officer ain't buying it.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My wife got stopped the other day because the cop thought she was a high school student skipping class!!!!! :confused: She's 32. She should have just kept driving, apparently!

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

And miss out on the ego boost?

7. Ognilecaf

Ognilecaf Member

they run because they have committed a more serious crime. Why give those people the right to take off from us?

I agree that the policy has some pros to it but most people do run because they are hiding something worse. Drugs in the car, stolen, robbery, etc.....It seems like and idiotic policy. It does say that the officer can use there discretion, so in a perfect world I guess it could work....However, a violation is a violation, how will they know who is hiding something after they roll a stop sign...They wont is the main point.

8. underoverup

underoverup Member

just about every police chase ends in a bad crash so i support this completely. no need to kill and injure innocent people chasing down speeders and minor criminals that's just dumb

9. MadMax

actually, it kinda freaked her out.

10. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

That cop was totally hitting on her.

11. MadMax

maybe. i've considered that. she does get carded ALL the time, though. she had to do a bank transaction for her mom this summer while visiting in little rock. they asked to see her ID, and she showed them her texas drivers' license. they thought it was fake because they didn't think she was anywhere near 32. she says on one hand that's flattering..but on the other hand it's frustrating.

12. Buck Turgidson

How many innocent people have been killed and injured in police chases in Houston over the past 10 years? How many police chases have there been?

I don't trust my, or your, or anybody's personal recollections here due to the ridiculous amount of media overhype of these situations. The thought that "just about every police chase ends in a bad crash" is a seeming result of this hype.

13. MR. MEOWGI

I think they can still chase people suspected of violent crimes.

But these high speed chases chancing the life of someone I care about life isn't worth it to me.

14. rocketsinsider

but you'll never know who you are chasing unless u get to pull them over.

for example lets say a wanted murderer runs a red light, a cop sees him and trys to pull him over, not knowing that it is a murderer who is driving that car, the murderer takes off and becasue of the new policy the cop cant chase after him, something like this really could happen. Would you rather risk a chase or a villian and possibly committing another violent crime?

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't know about anybody else, but I'll be damned if some stupid law is going to deprive me of my police chase fix...

The next cop I see in Houston, I'm flipping him off and taking off at full speed...

16. MR. MEOWGI

definitely.

17. MadMax

if they plug in the license plate to their computer, they'll know what to do.

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Assuming the murderer is not smart enough to change plates or use someone else's car.

Of course if the plates come up stolen then I guess the chase would be on.

19. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

My g/f got stopped because they though she was an elderly person who escaped from a nursing home.

(see, it could be worse)

20. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

haha :D