1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Simmons Article - "One man out...."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BaMcMing, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Major

Major Member

In the NFL, all ref judgment calls can't be reviewed - things like pass interference, holding, etc. The only things that can be reviewed are "yes/no" things - was a guy's foot inbounds, did a ball hit the ground, things like that.

In the NBA, the vast majority of calls (probably 95%+) are judgment calls. The number of things that would be reviewable would be minute - not even worth having a system for. How do you, on instant replay, conclusively determine whether there was enough body contact for a foul?

The only place where it might be really helpful is the silly charge/block circle - is that really worth having a challenge system and delaying games for?

2. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Finley was out of bounds! Should that not have been reviewed and reversed?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That wasn't the point. During the Spurs/Suns series, someone (I think in this forum) said Stern and the refs wanted to Suns to win the series because they were the more glamorous team, or something to that effect. I kid you not. Nutty as it sounds they were dead serious about it.

Nobody has claimed Stern was involved with what actually transpired.

4. Major

Major Member

Certainly - but how often do things like that really occur? Once every 10, 20, 30 games? Is it worth setting up a system and having coaches challenges or what not for something that's so rare?

5. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

Baseball used to have a BIG problem just five or 10 years ago with strike zones (i.e. the mammoth Glavine strike zone, veteran pitchers getting more calls, the Livan Hernandez game in '97 etc. ). It seemed like young pitchers could never break through until they "earned" the respect of umps.

Then came the standardized strike zone, and now a lot of those issues are gone. You see young pitchers dominating without having to "ear" anything from umps. Of course there will still be bad games or bad umps, but it's not nearly as bad.

Unfortunately the NBA is a lot harder to standardize. In any case Stern better get their act together - quick. If I were an NBA player and nothing significant was done about this, what would stop me from simply packing my bags and playing in Europe or something?

6. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

This deserves it's own thread:

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/news/thanks_mad_dog.html
    Thread title: Mark Madsen: Decent Athlete, Terrific Person