1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Simmons Article - "One man out...."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BaMcMing, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

damnit kam, you meant the suns.

but as a spur, do you think your championship is hollow now?

2. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

lol.....did you really watch the series?

3. Nice Rollin

while we're on the subject of bad officiating

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eY8qGHU52E"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7eY8qGHU52E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

4. yobod

yobod Member

All of this makes me question the integrity of the entire NBA, not just that individual ref. Sure, Donaghy got caught, but how many refs out there haven't gotten caught? And how high does it go? You really think the mafia big shots are gonna deal with guys like Donaghy, or would they try and go as high as possible? I'm not saying someone like David Stern might be involved, but someone a lot higher than Donaghy might be. Donaghy might just be a small fish whose name they threw under the bus to throw the FBI's scent off the real perpetrators. I don't know, I'm probably just being really paranoid, but you can't say it doesn't make you think.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The rest of us watched too and many think the Suns were the better team.

Of course it makes you think. Let's see where the investigation goes. The FBI doesn't give a care about the image of the NBA when it comes to investigating organized crime. They will dig up and uncover every ounce of dirt that can be found. This is one time Mr. Stern calls none of the shots.

6. yobod

yobod Member

That alone begs another question. How will David Stern view this? If Donaghy is able to provide a long list of refs/execs who are involved in this, would Stern welcome the opportunity to clean house and revamp the entire system he has in place in an effort to win back fans, or would he simply wash his hands of anybody involved and hope that fans see this as being a "few bad apples"? Personally, I think this is the perfect time for him to address all of the issues that have plagued the NBA, and finally correct some of the more glaring problems in the league (lottery system, playoff seeding, inconsistent officiating, etc....) In the long run, that would win back the fans who he lost through all of this, and also bring in new fans who might not have watched the NBA otherwise.

7. Triplicate

Triplicate Contributing Member

Very similar situation to the Suns game. The Mavericks get a bunch of no-calls in their favor, Yao gets his minutes limited in a game in which he was on fire, and the home team gets a crucial game swung to their favor by a few points which prolongs the series to 7 games. I tried to find what the point spread was for Rockets-Mavs game 5 but I couldn't find it. If somebody knows what it was let me know.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I still get mad when i watch this clip. That was such an unbelievable unfair game :mad:

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

geez that dallas game is infuriating. that's why i was so glad when they got a taste of their own medicine when the refs switched sides to dwayne wade.

even if mav fans could make a similar video showing rockets bias in that game(they absolutely can't) it would still be a sad situation. that's just brutally poor officiating any way you look at, rocket's fan or not.

every year there's so many situations where a guy is obviously hacked right in plain view of a ref and no-call is made. then you get the anticipation call where a ref thinks there will be a foul but there isn't. then there's the flop. the fact that refs still buy acting is amazing. what's the explanation for these things? the nba is a fast game and i imagine it's very difficult to get correct, but there's way way more than simple mistakes going on.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hire topless female refs. Any flaw would be exposed. And if they mess up, they're bounced. Well, they would probably bounce, regardless. Heck, if they don't bounce, fire them. Oh, and the refs for all Rockets home games are watched by ClutchFans admins. Closely.

11. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

Why inject some common sense into this issue? This is just another reason for Rocket fans to try and belittle the Spurs 4 championships.... get with the program man!

12. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

I don't.

13. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

This article in newsday this morning is just the beginning. I'm sure that we will all be numb in regards to this story by the time the season starts, but it still pains me to think about it.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...,0,2116779.story?coll=ny-basketball-headlines

An excerpt:

Ken Berger
    July 23, 2007
    newsday.com

"Of the 139 games officiated by Tim Donaghy during the past two NBA seasons, the opening point spread moved at least two points in 28 of them, or 20 percent, according to a source within the Nevada sports betting industry.

The trend, along with dramatic free-throw differentials in several of Donaghy's games, could provide important evidence to the NBA and federal authorities investigating whether the referee bet on games he officiated or furnished information to bettors as part of a possible point-shaving or game-fixing scandal........"

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Stern views this whole thing as a grave threat to the NBA's future. Like I said before, the FBI is investigating organized crime and Stern isn't in control here. He is aware any attempt to downplay or whitewash this would shred any ounce of credibility he has. For now, he's going along for the ride just like the rest of us. When the FBI is finished interrogating the referee and finished arresting everyone (refs and players included), then Stern can step in and make decisions.

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

it would be impossible for one ref to rig a game by himself

16. vunny1408

vunny1408 Contributing Member

makes me think if any player is involved with match-fixing scams. but then again, those guys get paid lots of money so they probably wouldn't do such a thing...or would they? :confused:

17. rocketsmetalspd

Didn't Tim Donaghy hire some fancy whistle blower defense lawyer? I think is going to go down by ratting out the rest of the refs that did the same thing he is accused of doing.

18. Nice Rollin

you should...your championship is tainted...

19. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

What a horribly officiated game...

20. yobod

yobod Member

What are you talking about? We have never belittled your championships, and we have never BLAMED the Spurs for any of this. All we're saying is that there have been several people who have said that your first championship deserved an asterisk, and now this one could as well. You can't truly believe that if it is proven that game 3 was swayed by Donaghy in any way, shape, or form, that your championship isn't at least a little tainted. That doesn't mean you can't be proud of your team, and that doesn't mean somebody can take that trophy away from you.....but it does mean that it'll be open to discussion for many, many years to come. If you're gonna join this board as a Spurs fan, be prepared to see a lot of anti-Spur sentiment. It comes with the territory. You're on a Rockets board.