1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Read About Ron Artest

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BasketballMind, Dec 10, 2010.

1. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=5902468

Beware, long article... But entertaining.

EDIT: Quotes from Ron Artest article::

Take, for instance, during the playoffs, when he usually rents himself a Lamborghini.

Why, Ron Ron?

"I don't know. I don't know how to drive a Lamborghini, and the last time I did it, I had to pay them another $20,000 extra. So I'm not going to do that anymore."

"It's fun. My kids think it's funny, so I do it. But my wife doesn't like it. So I don't tell her."

"How's he going to do that?" says Ron's coach with the Lakers, Phil Jackson. "He's got a contract with us through 2014!"

Ron Ron is undeterred. "I always follow my plan 100 percent, even if I know I'm going to fail."

On auctioning his ring: "When I told my mom, she got real pissed at me," he says. "My dad, too. And my brother. And my wife. They said, 'You played your whole life to win that and you're giving it away?'" It befuddled his teammates, too. "I'd never do it," says Bryant, who has five. "How f---ing crazy is that? I'd just give them the money instead."

On Practicing: What time should we expect you out, I say?

"Well, it's over at 10:30, but I always overtrain. I always start shooting after practice and I can't stop. I need to rest, but I'll probably keep shooting and shooting."

But why?

"Because once I get into that gym, that ball is like a drug. When you see that ball go into the basket, that's like one of the best drugs ever. I'm addicted, and I hope the state of California illegalizes it."

In the Lakers' locker room, reporters want to know if Ron Ron will reject the shots of President Barack Obama when the Lakers visit the White House on Dec. 13.

"Oh, absolutely!" he says. "I will lock down anybody anytime, even the president of the United States."

More stitches for Mr. Obama is not the most worrisome part of that trip. The most worrisome part is that Artest will also address Congress on mental health.

If we are not at the end of days, we're close.

I ask Jackson why he's playing Artest fewer minutes this season. "I'm not," Jackson says. "Ron overheard [substitute forward Matt Barnes] asking me for more playing time, so he's been raising his hand just to get Matt more time."

Why, Ron Ron?

"Because we're a team. I just want to win another title. Who cares about minutes? Who cares about points?"

"Who's better?" he charges. "You gonna say Bruce Bowen [the retired San Antonio Spur]? That's just political. Nobody wants to say, 'The best defensive player in the NBA is Ron Artest.' Because who would want Ron Artest to be the face of anything?

"People try to put themselves on my level, defensively. But none of these guys have ever done what I do -- hold All-Stars to zero points. I held Latrell Sprewell in his prime to zero points. I held Carmelo Anthony to two points. I'm the only player in history to hold LeBron James to zero assists.

"Really, I feel like I'm better than I ever was. I'm just not getting to show it … I'm on Kobe's team. If he's not there, I'm on Pau [Gasol]'s team. If he's not there, I'm on Lamar [Odom]'s team. It's all right. I had my chance to have my own team -- in Chicago and Indiana -- but I messed that up. I blew it."

Like I said...very long, but very entertaining...and there's still more if you want to click the link..

#1 BasketballMind, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Too long; Ron Artest did not read. :)

Is Ron Artest turning into a more entertaining version of Battier?

#2 Carl Herrera, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  3. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Thanks. It was really great, I enjoyed it.

Ron Ron is crazy but he brings to the table things that no other player will ever bring.

4. sew

sew Member

a lot of gems in the article.

5. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Lol yeah if I would have posted the article, replies would have started on page 2...great quotes...reporters dream.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Pretty sure Battier was on LBJ for much of that game.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Wrong, Artesticles bodied him up so much that forced LBlowJob to miss jumpshots in the beginning so he never got his rhythm

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And what does that have to do with assists? Ron's trippin if he thinks he deserves the credit for that. That was a team effort. Ron wasn't guarding everyone on his own.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

As much as I like Artest, that was some glory hogging. Battier deserved much credit for his defence on LBJ.

I thought it's proven that Battier is a better defender against the likes of LBJ compared to Artest?

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

im pretty sure i remember some battier defensive highlights in that game, but it doesnt matter because one player can't keep all the other guys from missing their shots. Unless Lebron only shot and never passed, neither of them deserve sole credit for that feat.

11. RoxBro

RoxBro Member

Really good read. Even though he is weird, I always liked Artest.