1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Posters who aren't always on your side.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Jul 15, 2003.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know this kind of thread has been brought up many times before, but in the heat of all the war and WMD evidence I just wanted to talk about some of the posters on the opposite side from ourselves who we respect for whatever reasons.

Here's my partial list, and I know I'm probably going to leave some people off that I do admire and respect their thoughts on the issues, so my apologies in advance.

1.Mr. Clutch - He keeps a level head, is willing to listen to evidence, and not afraid to admit when he feels it doesn't look as favorable to a particular position or argument.

2.Mad Max - The guy has explained time and time again about Clinton's 'no-no' and that it wasn't what he lied about but that the leader of our country sought to elude the legal process by lying under oath. I know you must feel like nobody is listening, but I've heard you. I almost didn't put you on this list, because while we disagree at times, there are probably as many where we have common ground. I just rarely post when I agree with your points, and perhaps that's my fault.

I'll keep it short for now, but maybe I'll more later.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

My partial list: Mr. C, Max, Refman, HayesStreet, Freak, T_J (I really do enjoy reading his posts).

I also like DaDakota, but on those things we disagree about (mostly politics, war and weed) I don't find him to be a great poster. I do like his basketball stuff, though.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

very kind of both of you..thanks!

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Mr. Clutch does keep a level head even when I don't. He is also fairly open to listening to your view from what I read in his responses to particular posts.

I consider JohnHeath knowlageble about his topics, just too abrasive.

Max also always keeps a level head.

5. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I vote for me. I am good and almost never on my side. I will abstain from voting for others because that will just give them big heads...and nobody wants that.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Thanks guys I appreciate it! Good to know I'm not just known as a crazy rightwinger.

I feel the same way about you guys- FranchiseBlade, BJ, Pgabriel. In additon: B-Bob, SamFisher, and Macbeth I feel are pretty fair with very differing styles. I can get honest opinions rather than just propaganda or wacky views.

I think D&D has changed a lot in the last few months, I remember this place used to be whack.

7. Batman Jones

rimbaud, as your head is surely at maximum proportion, I won't worry bout same. And if it explodes, so be it. I'll still say you would have made my list if I could ever tell which side you were on. As Ionesco said, "Understanding is the opposite of bewilderment, which is the only true path to enlightenment." If he is right there, and I suspect he is, I thank you for your assistance in this matter.

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

mrpaige, Mr. Clutch and giddyup are a few of the guys that I think are intelligent and reflective. When I don't see eye to eye w/ those guys, I look inward to see where my biases are...

I figure the rest of you guys are a bunch of crackpots, so I don't really pay attention to what you guys have to say.

just kidding

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I echo these and add DD (with the same caveat as above), MacBeth (who is only on the other side of a couple of issues from me), Major, ...

I know there are others but I would have to dig through some threads to find them.

10. Batman Jones

Oh, yeah. Me too on giddyup.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah add giddyup to my list. My opinion on DaDakota mirrors that of Batman Jones so it should be there as well.

12. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Mad Max, obviously...Mr. C, Cohen,Major...DaDa is weird. On some topics ( basketball for ex.) he's very open minded and reasonable, and displays intelligence and insight...but when it comes to war talk I find his jingoistic automatic absolutes downright frightening. It's not just that he disagrees...others do that, but it's that he seems so completely impervious to doubt irrespective of whatever happens. It's almost like he has two personalities...has anyone else noticed this?

Hayes is bright and articulate, although I am not sure we have ever seen eye to eye. giddy has made some concessions to objectivity in the last while that i found genuinely heartwarming.

When I first came on here I saw little difference between refman and treeman...but I was very wrong. Refman is much more open minded, much more objective, and not nearly as entrenched. He has probably been the poster about whom my opinion has changed the most since I've been here...him or Mad Max.

Rimmy can be grating, but I respect his intelligence and his, er, honesty. I am unsure as to why someone as bright as he is has adopted this odd 'persona'...ie the " I'm the smartest guy! Really , I am!" thing...if it's a joke, I just don't get it, at least not as an ongoing one...but beyond that, and his occassional flurries of intelectual defensiveness, he is among my favorite posters to read despite the fact that we have agreed on virtually nothing to date.

There are others with whom I have to date agreed with most of the time, but disagreed with on, say abortion or Clinton...but if I name people I disagred with on something but respect I'll be here all night. I know I've forgotten some...will probably edit later...Oh, Manny is another one...see what I mean?...but for now that's it.

13. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Its funny your partial list only has one name,, you add MadMax even though you admit you considered leaving him off.
    You like Mr.Clutch because he throws an occasional softball, and respect MadMax because he is a middle of the roader.

John Heath, Treeman, Bamaslammer, DaDakota and TraderJorge are usually the guys who post the opposing view to your far left ideas and you dont like it .. and dont seem to like them as posters very much.

My list..McBeth , good poster, US hating posts besides the point, FB acknowledges facts but usually overlooks them, Rocketman Tex
    gets it on some issues, enjoy reading BatmanJones, glynch, underoverup, andymoon, mcmark, pgabriel and more..the bbs wouldn't be much fun without all the lefties.

14. rimbaud

Supporting Member

Batman,

Aw, shucks...but whaddya mean you don't know what side I occupy? In any event, perhaps your confusion is the result of my unconscious desire to update Barthes to the cyber age...huh?

MacB,

I continually make fun of and insult myself (as my first post in this thread indicates), so half of your quote (of me) is incorrect. My persona is that I am smarter than everyone but I am an idiot. As to the reasons...long story. Suffice it to say that it is not just a bbs thing but a life thing and it is just something that evolved due to my unique life history. I have no idea what any of that means, though.

If I am to be cornered by peer pressure into picking people I would say that I do not think we are polar opposites or anything, but have been on opposite sides of an argument or two and I have always respected Hayes...especially because of one thing he said sometime back that was completely unexpected.

Max is always good for a religious discussion (not argument) and I have no choice but to respect giddy's ability to intentionally be obtuse...and he makes me laugh.

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Is this a good thing?

16. rimbaud

Supporting Member

How should I know?

17. giddyup

You wrote it... didn't you?

18. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

MadMax although we often agree.
    MacBeth... ditto... just some of the longer ones my ADD kicks in (OH look at the pretty bird!)
    Trader_Jorge makes me wanna scream sometimes, but that's why I enjoy his posts.
    johnheath and I are polar opposite on some things and agree on others. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world.
    andymoon and I are kindred spirits on the whole legalize it tip. Enjoy reading those.

:( Alas... I am very sad that noone has mentioned me... I work hard on my posts to inform and to make you laugh... I think of myself as providing the John Stewart version of the news around here... with less grey hair... and less money... and no show... oh forget it.

19. giddyup

This is the key. It seems like too many people look for an acknowledgement of a changed mind. I'm pretty sure that some of my thinking has evolved as a result of the exchanges here.

I may not acknowledge it because I may not realize it or I just may be too proud... :D Mine "enemies" have been known to pile on with great zeal and/or saunter off while gloating!

Off the top of my head alphabetically:

Achebe
    andymoon
    B-Bob
    BatmanJones
    FranchiseBlade
    Grizzled
    Jeff
    MacBeth
    Mrs.JB
    pgabriel
    Rimbaud

If I leave anyone off, I'll add them later. Remember, I'm losing my hair too!

20. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Dammit! You stopped at the "Ro..."'s!!!!! :D