1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great defense by Harden last night. Seriously.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, May 10, 2017.

1. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Obviously Harden is too fat for people to back him down in the post

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

our D was great last night, Harden's included. makes only playing 7 all the more perplexing... we were having to exert so much more energy onthe defensive side having to make up for Nene's absence.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Battier had more size and length to use to his advantage on the perimeter .

Harden is a bit of a tweener defensively . He's not the quickest guy laterally , but he's not big enough to bang in the post vs 7 footers full time like if he was say .... Draymond green sized

James is a strength/skills player vs a speed/ hops kind of guy ... In general

So while he can fare well against bigger guys becuase of his strength , because he maintains that strength he isn't quite as quick as he would be if he lost 10-15 lbs

Beverley made the decision this offseason to drop the weight to gain quickness . James probably shouldn't make that same calculation ... He uses his strength so well on the offensive end that it makes up any defensive gain he would attain .

James has always been more comfortable guarding bigger/ slower guys because of his physical attributes .

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He didn't touch him

Working against bigs wears him down

Rocket River

7. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

Harden plays defense " LIKE CAM NEWTON" goes for a ball in the Super Bowl

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I get a kick when I see bigs post up Harden, the national televised games especially, the announcers always say "Hey look, Hardens guarding ___, thats a big mismatch!" and then Harden does as solid job as always.

Very underrated post defender, I see him guarding mostly forwards as he ages. Insane that he's guarding Gasol, but I don't want Harden guarding large centers for his own healths sake.

FANfrom86toNow likes this.
  9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Member

Mike D specifically cited the offense as the reason we lost. He said we played well enough to win, just didn't hit some shots late in the game. I don't know that I agree with that, we didn't play well enough to win else we would be staring at 3-2 Rockets. Not sure I am totally on board with Mike, but whatever.

Harden's defense is good when he wants it to be. The guy is a baller, and if he had any help we'd be already ready for the WCF...resting.