1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great Article on Texas A&M's Jerrod Johnson

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocketfanatic2, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Rocketfanatic2

Come on guys, this is not suppossed to be a Texas vs. Texas A&M thread. Do you guys even have it in you to write something about the story behind his life, and not football. Do you have the respect? Obviously not, so instead of bashing each other's school, why can't we come together to realize that this man's story is a very good one that not many know about. I'm surprised to see people act like this. I honestly thought people were respectful enough to write something that ISN'T about football or colleges. I guess I was wrong.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ya. JJ's story is way better than McCoy swimming in some pond to save some geezer. Mwuahahhaha! Just kidding. :D

3. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

Yes I'm a UH alum. Not an aggie fan. I did happen to watch Mccoy overthrow the majority of his receivers agains Tech and I'm just not impressed at all with UT this year.

They have a pretty good defense, Mccoy looks average, their RB situation is questionable and outside of Shipley, I'm not really impressed with their receiving corp. They just don't look like the #2 team in the nation and I'm sure we'll all see that when they play against a decent team like OU with our without Bradford. And I think the Aggies could beat them this year, absolutely.

And yes, if the Aggies beat them again this year, that will be 3 out of the last 4 am I right or wrong, Cat?

4. spence99

spence99 Member

This article would have been better if he just left the football stats out of it and focussed only on his background story. Great background story! The stats - who cares until they play a real team.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree.

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Most of these points are valid, I guess it just seemed like an unnecessary remark. Why must you knock UT while pumping JJ?

Although, I must say, Colt looked much, much better last weekend. His throws were much crisper and he looked like a completely different player.

To be honest, I hope A&M is for real and is undefeated going into Thanksgiving. I can't even begin to grasp what the atmosphere would be like if both teams were undefeated going into the last game of the year. It would be one for the ages.

7. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

I only did it because Moes and the poster below him (with hookem horns in his sig) took a few shots at the aggies for no reason. I also wanted to get The Cat to come out of his litter box and play for a bit and I definitely know how to do that. He's too easy. ;)

Props to you for the civil debate. You don't seem like a typical smug UT fan.

8. PointForward

PointForward Member

LOL good ol' ghetto U of H fans developed the ability to talk and are bashing other superior schools..

shut up, and stick to your tier 4 school's bandwagon.. they beat who? OSU and tech, good for them, hopefully they go undefeated in that $h!t conference you're in. Oh, and you can call me Boss when I hire you someday. I guess you think you're funny with your schtick, huh? you think you're boss around here don't ya? more like CEO of the internets.. keep it up, loser.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

I have always wanted both teams to be undefeated going in.

The atmosphere that the game would have with national implications would be amazing.

10. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

When was the last time TAMU beat Oklahoma State and Texas Tech in the same year?

I'll wait so you can google it.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Uh please refer to him as Boss in your post. I demand you edit your entry to reflect his status as your, and everyone elses future boss :D

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Whoops, touched a nerve!

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yes, McCoy had one average game when he was suffering from the flu all week, he must be complete garbage!!! :rolleyes: They'll definitely be exposed when they play OU! It's not like OU lost to a scrub team in a virtual home game, who lost to Florida State (who blows and has already lost twice at home, including to South Florida) by 26 at home? Oh, right. Oops. If UT plays a mediocre game against a decent opponent and wins by double digits, it's evidence they're doomed, but if OU loses against a decent opponent in a virtual home game, no worries, they're still dominant and will roll UT. :rolleyes: Biased much?

And yes, if the Longhorns beat them again this year (funny that you're using the word "again" for a team that lost by 40 its last time out), they'll be 75-36-5, 8-2 in the last 10 and 11-4 in the last 15. Am I right or wrong, insanity?

Hilarious. You back Reggie Bush, the Aggies and are on the record bashing Matt Schaub, and you're trying to bait someone else into talking about one of those things? Right. Nice track record there. I'm definitely down for a bet of anything you want on UT/A&M, whenever you're ready... I'll even give you 2-to-1 odds, since you're so confident...

14. surrender

surrender Member

Having been to the first two A&M home games (missed 3rd for UH-TTU), I must say that I'm not completely sold on JJ. He definitely has the physical tools, and now he finally has a stable of great receivers (even sans Fuller), but his decision making skills leave a bit to be desired. He tries to throw across his body too much, even when he has plenty of time to set his feet, and he has a tendency to miss open receivers while he telegraphs tosses to Tannehill or Nwachukwu.

That said, the team is very young, and they should improve as the schedule becomes more difficult. If Fuller comes back, they could do decently well in the meat of the conference schedule.

Disclaimer: I am a proud UH alum and current A&M grad student

15. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Awww, you're going to be his boss! What exactly do you plan on managing? Perhaps the cattle drive north? The farms down in Tyler, Texas?? Please do explain sir hick... I find it funny how someone who goes to A&M decides to get all high and mighty and act like his school is Yale or something. Calm down brahh. UH and A&M are very close to being in the same breath (Below Rice and UT and above Tech and TSU) right now. A&M might be a bit ahead right now, but just give it a few years and the schools will be on an even playing field (academically at least)...

16. Refman

If this is how you are going to represent Texas A&M, do me and the rest of the Old Ags a favor. STOP.

That "ghetto school" as you call it is still a university in the state of Texas, and it is one that needs to be respected. My father worked his way through college at that "ghetto school" because he was not blessed with the family resources to go to UT or A&M. Over the course of his career in banking in Houston, many people called him their boss. It is not all about where you went to school. Regardless of where you go, you get a degree.

We all like to think that the school we went to is so superior to any other school. It is good to have pride in the college you went to. It is a special place to you and an intricate part of your formative years.

When you demean somebody else's school, it makes you no better than the guy that demeans A&M. And yes, there is a big difference between your post and doing it in fun. My father, a UH alum, loved it when at a game he would hear the 12th Man yelling to "Beat the Hell Outta Cougar High." It was all in fun. What you did...was something very, very different.

Part of being an Aggie is "being a good host." You must be respectful of the fans of our rivals. Too much of that has been lost in recent years. With UT, sure there is bitter banter. It has always been that way. Do not forget that we are all brothers and sisters in Texas though. Remember when Bonfire fell all of the UT student and alums that held blood drives to help the injured. Maybe you missed that part of Fish Camp.

In short, the attitude that you exhibited is certainly not what I learned at A&M. It makes others want to poke fun at A&M even more. It is not helpful. It is not endearing. It is not part of being a good Ag.

Be a better representative of the university.

Gig 'Em.

17. Refman

Actually, at this time, it isn't really that close. UH is improving, and most of UH's preceived "problems" are due to really poor administration. When I was in law school at UH, I was appalled by the administration of that university.

A&M is a very good academic and research institution.

Some rankings...

Rankings

Mays is recognized among the top public business schools for its undergraduate program, MBA program, and faculty research contributions.
    Undergraduate Program

* 12th public (37th overall), BusinessWeek (2009)
    * Tied 19th public (tied 31st overall), U.S. News & World Report (2010)

MBA Program

* 1st U.S. public (tied 6th in world), Employment at Three Months, Financial Times (2009)
    * Tied 2nd overall, Placement after Three Months, U.S. News & World Report (2010)
    * 2nd U.S. public (28th in world), Best Value for Money, Financial Times (2009)
    * 7th U.S. public (40th in world), Best Global MBAs for Mexicans, Expansión (2009)
    * 8th best-administered program, The Princeton Review (2007)
    * 8th best campus facilities, The Princeton Review (2007)
    * 9th U.S. public (24th overall), Forbes (2009)
    * 10th in student competitiveness, The Princeton Review (2007)
    * 11th public regional (23rd regional), Wall Street Journal (2007)
    * 11th U.S. public (57th in world), Financial Times (2009)
    * Tied 14th public (tied 33rd overall), U.S. News & World Report (2010)

Executive MBA Program

* 1st overall, Return on Investment, The Wall Street Journal (2008)
    * 1st U.S. public (5th in world), Work Experience, Financial Times (2007)
    * 16th public U.S. program (38th in the U.S., 66th in the world), Financial Times (2007)

PhD Program

* 9th U.S. public (15th in the U.S., 28th world), Financial Times EMBA rankings (2006)

Faculty Scholarship

* 12th U.S. public, faculty research downloads (28th U.S., 37th world), Social Science Research Network (2006)
    * 13th U.S. public (24th in the U.S., 31st in the world), Financial Times EMBA rankings (2006)

Department of Accounting

* 5th public graduate program (8th overall), Public Accounting Report’s 27th Annual Professors Survey (2008)
    * 6th CPA pass rate for first time candidates, National Association of State Boards of Public Accountancy (2006)
    * 7th public undergraduate program (10th overall), Public Accounting Report’s 27th Annual Professors Survey (2008)
    * 11th public doctoral program (18th overall), Public Accounting Report’s 27th Annual Professors Survey (2008)
    * Tied 14th public undergraduate program (tied 20th overall), U.S. News & World Report (2010)

Department of Information and Operations Management

* Tied 3rd public, scope of program (Tied 4th overall), AMR Research - Leading U.S. Supply Chain Programs (2009)
    * Tied 6th public, industry value (Tied 7th overall), AMR Research - Leading U.S. Supply Chain Programs (2009)
    * 7th public, leading supply chain program (8th overall), AMR Research - Leading U.S. Supply Chain Programs (2009)
    * Tied 8th public, depth of program (Tied 9th overall), AMR Research - Leading U.S. Supply Chain Programs (2009)

Department of Management

* 6th among most-cited universities for scholarly influence in management literature 1981-2004, Journal of Management (2008)
    * Tied 9th public undergraduate program (16th overall), U.S. News & World Report (2010)
    * Three of the most-cited authors in management literature 1981-2004, Journal of Management (2008): Michael A. Hitt (#8), Murray R. Barrick (#39), and Luis Gomez-Mejia (#93)

Texas A&M University

* 4th best U.S. public university (5th overall), The Washington Monthly (2009)
    * 6th nationally for PhDs awarded to Hispanics, Black Issues in Higher Education (2003)
    * 8th for enrollment of Hispanic women, Hispanic Outlook (2004)
    * 11th for conferring bachelor’s degrees to Hispanic women, Hispanic Outlook (2004)
    * Tied 22nd public (tied 61st overall), U.S. News & World Report (2010)
    * Top 25 university for Latinos, Hispanic magazine (2004)

http://mays.tamu.edu/about-mays/rankings/

18. Refman

Sorry for the multiple posts. I forgot to add that I think that UH is really an overlooked institution, especially in its business school.

I believe that UH is about to turn its rankings around.

Regardless of rankings, anybody who assumes that UH is not a quality education just because of the rankings is a fool.

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Texas' defense is really good this year. Secondary is loaded with young talent and Sam Acho is a fumble recovering machine. I would say the defense is better than last season, even with the loss of Orakpo.

Also, I think they have good depth at running back. Vondrell McGee is nothing to sneeze at (6.4 ypc avg). Tre Newton is a freshmen that looks like a stud the making (5 ypc avg). The wide receivers are the biggest question mark imo. But you forgot to mention Greg Buckner. Dude is a BEAST.

You dismissing Texas against OU is laughable. Who won again last season? Even if Bradford returns, they still aren't getting the best tight end in the country back. Players that are no longer with the team caught something like 32 of the 50 touchdowns Bradford threw last season.

You say that Texas hasn't impressed you which is fair but what exactly has OU done to impress you? They scored 10 points in the first half on BYU with Bradford. They ended that game with a whopping 13 points. News flash..UT's defense is much better than BYU's.

A&M will finally play a decent team this week. Even Baylor has played Wake & Conn this season. It's way to early to think about beating Texas right now.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Bingo.

UH has the largest deficit in administration funding and resources per capita (per student I suppose) of any university in Texas.

So basically, you've got a crap ton of students and very few people to work for them and little money to spend on them.

I wish UH would throttle its admission standards a little higher to choke off the intake.