1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Graphic: Death shown] I found a genuine reason for armed protests.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by fchowd0311, May 26, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Breaking news. AG Ellison is going to increase the charge on LEO Chauvin from 3rd degree murder to 2nd degree. The three other LEO will be charged with aiding and abbetting.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Second Degree made sense to me the most from the beginning but again, this could make it more difficult to get a guilty verdict. I hope not.

To me it's obviously second degree due to the length of time he had his knee on him and the fact that he still had his knee on him after he was motionless and probably already dead.

4. likestohypeguy

^it's not always either/or, they generally give the jury the option to find on a lesser count than he's being charged as an alternative.

That'll do the trick.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Awesome news. Wish Minnesota had the death penalty.

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I heard a legal discussion on this the other day. The 3rd degree charge was the same charge that LEO Noor was charged in the killing of Justine Ruscyck. In that case Noor fired into the dark when he was startled and he knew that his actions could very well lead to death but he wasn't specifically targeting someone as he didn't know who he was shooting at. In this case Chauvin knew he was targeting Floyd and maybe he didn't intend to kill Floyd he clearly meant harm to him. Per the definition in MN statute.
    "causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation;"

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is how 2nd and 3rd degree murder is interpreted in Minnesota

Second-Degree Murder
    Second-degree murder can be an intentional killing, but it is not as serious as first-degree murder. Second degree murder can be charged when a defendant intentionally kills another human being but the murder is not premediated. Second-degree murder may result when a person kills out of an intense emotional response or impulse. Additionally, killing someone during a drive-by shooting, killing someone during the commission of a crime that is not sexual assault or killing someone unintentionally while intended to inflict great physical harm to a victim for whom an order of protection was obtained can result in second-degree murder charges. Second-degree murder has a maximum penalty of 40 years in prison.

Third-Degree Murder
    This murder is not based on having the intent to kill. Third-degree murder is often charged as a depraved heart or mind crime. This charge can arise when a person fires a gun in a crowd without intending to kill anyone, for example. Murder is charged when a person is killed and the defendant has an indifference to the sanctity of human life. This charge may also result if a person sells bad drugs. The maximum penalty for murder is up to 25 years in prison. If the death resulted because of a Schedule I or II drug sale, a fine of up to $40,000 may result.

the amount of time he kept his knee on his neck makes 2nd degree appropriate IMO

I would never put my knee on somebody’s neck to begin with, and I damn sure wouldn’t do it for 9 minutes if I wasn’t trying to kill the person

the chances of killing somebody with a knee to the neck for that long is astronomically high...any sane person knows this...And to keep it there even after he’s become unresponsive? U don’t even try to resuscitate him?

Hakeemtheking and B-Bob like this.
  8. likestohypeguy

And most of all, wouldn't do so for ANY length of time once he's unconscious/motionless, much less for three minutes afterwards.

Reeko and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I guess you saw that too. LOL.

I am not even a breast man but them things were lets say, very distracting.

They were protesting all on their own.:eek:

#730 jiggyfly, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sounds like she was having a hard time flattening the curves.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Murder 3 is open and shut, but one can make a reasonable argument he's not guilty of murder 2. He's a POS and I would be fine if he got the death penalty, but without knowing the law more in depth I'm not sure if I would find him guilty of that if I were being an impartial juror. There are bound to be people on the jury that are far more inclined to side with the cop than I am

They must be confident they can get a conviction, but if he gets off it will be ugly so it seems dangerous.

FrontRunner likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Reasonable argument?

Second-Degree Murder
    Second-degree murder can be an intentional killing, but it is not as serious as first-degree murder. Second degree murder can be charged when a defendant intentionally kills another human being but the murder is not premediated. Second-degree murder may result when a person kills out of an intense emotional response or impulse. Additionally, killing someone during a drive-by shooting, killing someone during the commission of a crime that is not sexual assault or killing someone unintentionally while intended to inflict great physical harm to a victim for whom an order of protection was obtained can result in second-degree murder charges. Second-degree murder has a maximum penalty of 40 years in prison.

How is this a question?

He kept his knee on his neck 2 minutes after he was unconscious and alerted to the fact.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. likestohypeguy

^does anyone know, which one of the other three was the one who told the supervisor he couldn't feel a pulse, and asked if we shouldn't roll him over on his side instead (to which Chauvin replied "No we'll keep him like this"). Anyone else read that, and know which one it was?

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Lane (farthest one on the right) was the one who asked if they should roll him on his side...Keung (the one pictured next to him) is the one who said he couldn’t feel a pulse

likestohypeguy likes this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

What makes this even more sad is that if these were different LEO this would be what we would want to see for Minneapolis PD. A squad of two white men, an Asian and a black man reflecting the diversity of the city.

jiggyfly likes this.