1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Grantland] Zach Lowe and the Parsons Plan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hizzobbes, Aug 9, 2013.

1. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Lol I know that but you were the one who said we didn't need any additional moves... Trading our first rounders I believe is considered an additional move.

I was pointing out that we can't just stand pat and renounce people, some things have to be moved around to create the space.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So we should have really ended up with Goudelock and not Parsons, huh? Did we know that already? I dont think i've read it before.

I guess that's why Morey is so hesitant to take so much credit. He knows luck plays a large role in the draft. A simple "yes" from a back up PG and we probably wouldn't have Dwight right now.

#62 RV6, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

It is pretty crazy how all that kind of stuff works out... So much happens behind the scenes that we may never hear about or only find out about well after the fact.

How the blocked Pau trade and the Harden trade worked out for us is well known, but how many things go on that we never hear about? We also like to forget that we almost traded for Amar'e Stoudemire at the trade deadline in 2011.

So many things fell into just the right place due to large amount luck and the preparation of Morey and his crew to be in the right place at the right time.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Ah, I see. I generally don't consider things like shedding 1 mil of cap space to be worth noting. Just as during the whole Howard thing, I ignored the fact that the rockets needed to also dump White to clear the room first because it's such an insignificant and obvious point. And no one else seemed to have cared about such details either.

So i misunderstood you, and I apologize. I Didn't realize you were taking my phrase so literally. Yes, I agree with you whole heatedly. The Rockets need to also trade their 2014 and 2015 1st round picks in order to sign Love.

5. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

OK

I thought teams were not allowed to trade consecutive number 1's?

6. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

At times I can be too literal, so all is good haha. When talking about future scenarios and trying to make predictions I like to list out all the factors, even if certain things can/should be assumed.

You can't trade consecutive future picks, which means we couldn't trade them both right now, but next year or the year after we could. Here's the rule from Larry Coon:

7. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Everyone seems to think DM won't use his MLE. I'd think he's going to use it and thus eliminating that 2015 FA max money guy. Either we get him in a trade THIS year, or he doesn't come. Once we use exceptions, we won't have the cap room, and we are only a player or 2 from championship aspirations, we already have finals aspirations now.

8. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

OK

I see so that same year is not a future pick. Gotcha and thanks.

9. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

OK

How does using the mid level stop them from trying for a FA in 2015? It can be used year to year.

10. Raven

Raven Member

It wouldn't surprise me if some teams pulled a Morey and offered Parsons a poison pill contract. I can think of a few general managers and owners who'd love to stick it to the Rockets.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except Parsons has a great relationship with Morey and if they did that it would be clear they were doing it to help the team and Parsons was still going to get paid.

12. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Are you talking about if we were to decline his 4th year and make him a RFA after next year?

I've been reading on this topic and I'm wondering if Parsons would even be eligible to receive such a contract since he would have more than 1-2 years of NBA experience: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

I know there's some confusion with the term poison pill, as the poison pill provision is different than what we call a poison pill contract which is suppose to be in reference to a part of the Arenas provision. Here's a little summary: http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2013/07/the-poison-pill-misconception.html

I suppose my question is this, can a back loaded contract be offered to anyone at anytime? Or does it have to go by the Arenas provision? Last year Lin, Asik, and Landry Fields all fit the Arenas provision.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm sure it's a great article, but can you not just get similar quality analysis on Sports Radio 610?

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Since I have not lived in Houston for 20 years I would not know.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The ones like Asik and Lin? only under Arenas, the most anyone but us can offer him is 4.5% raises

16. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Right, that's what I thought.... So the idea of us making him a restricted FA after his 3rd year and other teams trying to "poison pill" him away from us is false.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Very good post.

FWIW, Canaan's 3rd year salary is 80% guaranteed, meaning that it would be cheaper to keep his salary on the books--or to trade him--than to waive him (unless they stretch his salary and also negatively impact their cap the next few years).

For instance, if the Rockets use the full Non-Taxpayer MLE in 2014 to sign a player to a multi-year deal, that could cut about $5-6 million into any 2015 cap room they'd otherwise have.

As others have said, you can only give one of those "poison pill" Arenas Rule deals (which is not what the CBA calls a Poison Pill) for one- or two-year veterans. Parsons will have had THREE years of experience by then and would be ineligible for such an offer sheet.

#77 BimaThug, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  18. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Thanks!

Good point as well, waiving Canaan wouldn't really be an option to try to shave off some more salary. I've got to remember to scroll over the player names on shamsports to get all the contract details, haha.

19. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

I get where you're coming from, but my point still remains.. you need to renounce rights to sign players... even if you assume that the Rockets take on no more contracts that go beyond 2015 in the next 2 years(which means just letting Lin and Asik walk for nothing), AND that they dont pick up the last years of Dmo and TJones cheap rookie deals, as well as Beverley's cheap deal... all of that which is very unlikely... The Rox would still not have enough cap space to sign a player like Love to the max.

The Rockets have went through various rosters the past few years, and finally have a good core to build on... I'm not saying they can't add another piece to the puzzle, and I know Morey always values flexibility, but even he must realize that the amount of roster turnover it would require to add another max FA does not contribute to the winning atmosphere of a championship team... Dwight Howard is 27, by 2015 he would be 29... Would you really waste 2 years of his prime just to go through the process of getting ring chasers on minimum deals, and building team chemistry, etc., all over again in 2015?

20. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I don't think Bima has argued that letting the roster walk to create max space should be done, but rather explained that with Parsons small cap hold it could be done and then we could sign Parsons after a big FA. This of course is subject to the 2015 cap and minor moves that Meh and I have already discussed.

If you read the thread I think that Meh first stated, and has defended, the strategy of going for a max FA in 2015 while some of us argued the possibility/feasibility of it. You should probably take your argument up with him, lol.