1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Zach Lowe and the Parsons Plan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hizzobbes, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That starting 5 would desperately need a PG.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

See my response to you above.

Normally, you'd be right about Bird rights, cap holds and cap space, with teams typically unable to "time" moves with re-signing their own guys after signing outside free agents.

HOWEVER, in the particular case of Parsons, his salary is sooooo small that even his cap hold amount (190% of his prior salary) will not take up a considerable amount of cap room.

I hope this helps explain where others are coming from and resolves any confusion.

#42 BimaThug, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not with that much talent everywhere else and a SG who can create like Harden. Been proven over and over that teams can win it all even if the PG is pretty weak relative to the rest of the team.

I mean at some point you have to be cheap at certain positions or you are paying an extremely large tax bill, can't have all stars to near all stars at every spot.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Trust me. Do not tread on Superman's (Bima's) cape, don't spit into the wind and don't speculate on how much the Rocket's owner is willing to spend.

5. Classic

Classic Member

Grantland is on a whole 'nother level; love that our organization is often a topic of discussion.

If we win a chip with this core we may have to build Morey a statue outside Toyota Center. If he is too humble to accept a statue, we can always make that statue an Ipad.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You nailed it.

7. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Obviously a lot of things depend on the cap for 2015 but we can look at a couple of things we know right now:

Howard and Harden will take up about 38 mil.
    Parsons' cap hold is 1.8 mil.
    Bev's QO is 1.2 mil.
    Dmo and TJones team options combined are about 5 mil.
    Canaan is another 950k (unguaranteed)
    Factor in 2014 picks salaries and 2015 picks cap holds.

This means, as Bima says, we probably wont have max cap room for LMA or Love (16 to 17 mil) without additional moves.

8. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

Anyone can speculate on how much Les is willing to go over into luxury as no one but him knows. He has paid it only once that I remember.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

There would be no need for any other moves. If anything, it will be the LACK OF MOVING that will allow us the space to sign a max player in 2015. Basically renounce everyone except for Harden, Beverley, Parsons, Howard, Cannan, and perhaps a 2014 2nd rounder that makes very little salary.

10. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I'm pretty sure that Zach Lowe is not "clueless on the luxury tax" and it is more likely that you misinterpreted something.

If you can quote the part that you think says what you're saying, that might help.

11. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

OK

Beverly? He comes up for new contract then, right?

12. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

I was not talking about a different writer in responding to Bima. Zach is always cool.

13. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Depending on the cap, it's close if you renounce everyone but the players you listed... but we do have first round picks in 2014 and 2015 which take up more cap space than second rounders... Also empty roster slots still have rookie min cap holds up to 12, so if we've only got 5 to 6 players taking up cap space/holds then we've got another 3 mil or so in empty space cap holds.

14. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

I was talking about a different writer I meant about where I heard something.

15. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Gotcha, sorry about that.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Given that you obviously skipped the numerous posts in this very thread which explained this issue, I'll just give you the explanation directly from the source.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q37

17. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

My fault. Wish I could edit.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You missed the point lucky. Sure you can do it. But is it wise to do it?

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

If the Rockets plan is to sign Love in 2015, why in the world would they have 1st round picks by then? Their entire plan in 2014 would be to trade all their assets for future picks and/or expirings(like Reddick last year).

We have Daryl Morey as our GM, not Elgin Baylor.

20. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

No. All we can go by is him saying he would some for a championship caliber team. Guess people can try to wonder what 'some' is. 3 max stars and a big payday for Parsons is a big 'some'.