1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Zach Lowe and the Parsons Plan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hizzobbes, Aug 9, 2013.

1. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

I didn't see this posted but Zach Lowe released an article today focusing on second round picks and made a lot of references to the Rockets and Parsons. Here's a quote from one of the most interesting parts of the article:

Those last two sentences being most important. A lot depends on what happens during this coming season but it raises some questions for next off season... Would we decline Parsons' cheap fourth year so we can resign him as a restricted free agent? If we don't, does that mean we'd be willing to use him as a trade chip? If we really want to keep him, would we risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent?

I know a lot of fans think Parsons is completely untouchable but what Morey and Les decide to do next summer could say a lot about our long term plans for him.

Here's the entire article. Jason Friedman said it was a must read for Rockets fans and I'd agree with him. http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...y-ledo-and-exploiting-the-cbas-inefficiencies

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

I forgive Zach Lowe for that incorrect last sentence, since he does need to cover the entire NBA. No, picking up Parsons last option year is not an indication of trading him. But rather an indication that the Rockets are sweeping everything clean for the 2015 FA.

Howard
    Love
    Parsons
    Harden
    Beverley

That above starting 5 will be possible in 2015 if the Rockets choose to not make Parsons a RFA.

3. Onethingy

Onethingy Member

Oh my god. But what about the bench?

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Just because he becomes restricted doesnt mean we will resign him, for example because he is a second rounder team x could offer him a Omer Asik backloaded contract in that case there's no point matching...

I reckon we have to pick up his 4th year and hope his bird rights are enough to get the deal done, however it's almost a win win if he signs here or not, because if not then it'll allow morey to go window shopping in 2015

5. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

To be fair, he said it "might" be an indication.

Do you have the projected salaries of that starting 5? Obviously we know Harden+Howard will be about 38 million and then we'll have small cap holds depending on our future picks and what we do with DMo and TJones. I guess the real question is what would Love's max salary be, since we can go over the cap to sign our guys with bird rights anyways?

The bench would have to be filled with vet mins and rookie mins...

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Ideally, the way to truly get that starting lineup is to get Love(or Aldridge) to stir up enough crap with their original team to force a trade to the Rockets before FA(say trade deadline). But based on the assumption that no one bites, you have Cannan, 2nd round pick(s) in 2015, and veteran minimum signing like Cassipi or Garcia along with a $2mil room exception.

So no, not a great bench. But well, starters would look pretty nice.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, what I proposed would be the much more likely indication.

It obviously depends on the salary cap. Both Love and Aldridge(we should have no interest in anyone else) would have salary starting at $16~17mil. Because the 2015 salary cap is not set, you can't say exactly how much room will be left over. Basically there should be enough for Parsons and Beverley's cap holds. And probably very little else.

Correct. Which is why it's important that shoud Love want to be a Rocket, he make it clear that he's not signing anywhere but us starting next season. Then Minnesota will have to trade him to us 50 cents on the dollar. This will allow us the bench.

8. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

True, being a RFA is not a sure thing but the right to match is still a powerful right.

I do like the idea of picking up his 4th year and seeing what's up in the 2015 free agency... I think it keeps things more flexible for us and we'd still have his bird rights which is an advantage.

I think Morey's history shows that he doesn't rush to give away his cap space...

9. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Parsons cap hold is going to be very miniscule in 2015 off season. You waive Lin's and Asik's capholds, and you have lots of cap space.

10. PeppermintCandy

LOL at Budinger's deal being called the Parsons Plan when Budinger entered the league before Parsons.

From the article:
    These are good points. Couple that with the fact that Morey will probably decline the fourth year option on the contract, and suddenly Parson's rookie deal doesn't seem so bad to me.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It will depend entirely on if we can add a LMA or the like via trade this year. If not, his option will be picked up so we can still have max space while keeping his bird rights.

A touch over 16.5m, between him, Howard and James, that's about 54.5m, parsons and bevs cap holds another 3, another 3.5m in cap holds and you have 61.5m (which is estimated to be next years cap)

#11 Aleron, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  12. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

I have been assuming that Parsons will improve slightly but be more consistent all year. If so his price will be high but manageable. I also have assumed that we would let him become a restricted and then match anyone else.

Of course though assuming is wrong when we have Morey as GM. Even if it is not a Love but some Superstar that Morey has targeted and we go and wait and sign him and then use the bird rights would shake up the NBA.

Even though we won't have to pay the luxury tax we would still have a huge payroll that we will need to fill with vet and rookie minimums. Would Les even want to pay that much?

13. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

If we can get Kevin Love plus keep Parsons, awesome. But if we can only keep Parsons or we can only acquire Love, than thats okay. I trust that Morey will make the correct moves to make this team a championship contending squad.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

15. dragonz

dragonz Member

Now we are just acting like we can pick up candies off the tree now.

Love or LMA is gona be hard to get.

and alot of it will depend on how we do this coming season with our current crew.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

U fill it with a buncha vets chasing a ring for the min. ;)

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Parson's contract isn't bad at all, it's amazing for a 2nd rounder. 99% of 2nd rounders get sent out of the league once their contract expires, in that kind of scenario you should always prioritize financial security over any "potential NBA earnings". Its just that most people here use hindsight to pretend that they knew all along Parsons would be amazing so they keep saying "his agent screwed him over by locking him from his payday".

18. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

why wouldn't it get picked up? Having a player of Parson's caliber on the books for another year at less than 1 million is not something you turn down... it's not like they will lose his rights after he becomes a FA... You think with the amount of effort he put in to recruiting Dwight and seeing that come to fruition, he's going to leave that easily?

19. LandryFields

LandryFields Member

no, it won't be possible... Rockets have no chance of signing another big time FA unless they dump Lin+Asik in the upcoming summer. After that, re-signing Parsons will take up the majority of the remaining cap space and will leave no room for Love or anyone else

20. hizzobbes

hizzobbes Member

Lin and Asik come off the books that summer, so there's no dumping needed in that scenario.

As of right now, the only guaranteed money we have for the summer of 2015 is Harden and Howard.