1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grantland: The curse of the QB middle class (Houston repeatedly mentioned)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Raven, Jan 18, 2013.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Well, keep in mind this is the guy that had to be put in a half nelson to fire Frank Bush....and Joe Marciano still has a job right now.

If we've seen one thing in the Kubiak era, it's that he is unwilling to make honest assessments about "his guys"

There are only three plausible scenarios that end Schaub's tenure as QB here in the next 2 seasons:
    1) McNair steps in (highly unlikely)
    2) Rick Smith steps in (unlikely)
    3) Schaub suffers a major injury (unfortunate)

1 person likes this.
  2. thething

thething Contributing Member

Schaub is our quarterback because we can't find anyone better right now.

3. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

schaub doesn't have to be michael vick or anything... but not having a quarterback who can occasionally scramble for a decent gain KILLS our offense.

i can guarantee you schaub will not lead the texans to a championship. with that being said... i'd rather try our luck and let someone else QB this team.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

This is true, however, I do not think Schaub can run any other offense at this point. I will give him the opportunity to prove me wrong, but I'm not banking on it working.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

People, people...

Look, I get that this team has spun its wheels, underachieved for too many years and let golden opportunities slip between its fingertips... But let's not forget: including playoffs, they've won 24 games the past two years. It took them FIVE SEASONS to win 24 games after expansion.

I'm not suggesting we should settle for 10-12 wins and a second-round exit every year but... let's have a *little* perspective. The Texans need to tweak and upgrade, not completely overhaul. Matt Schaub has started two playoff games. He looked overwhelmed; it shook my confidence in him... but I think he deserves more than two playoff games before being written off, doesn't he?

6. DonnyMost

If he wasn't 32 and entering his 10th year in the league, i'd agree with you. But that's not the case. The book has been written on Schaub, IMO. He is not going to become a better QB at this point. The best we can hope for is a new/better offensive system (and hope to God Schaub can run it) or just hope that everyone else on the team gets better.

7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Agreed. However, we all know that this offensive system is not CHANGING. That would require a personnel overhaul that we cannot do. Offensive linemen that are ZBS-friendly unfortunately are not the maulers that you need to be able to run an effective no-huddle, spread-style offense that a lot of people are clamoring for. This team, as constructed, can pretty much run the PA, West Coast style offense we see. However, we can certainly add some horsepower to our engine and see if that's enough to get us over the hump with Crazy 8 at the helm.

8. Hey Now!

I think we're talking about two different things, though. I don't think he needs to get "better" (obviously, him getting better would be great; I just don't think that's the problem); I think he simply needs to show-up for big games. Getting over that hump doesn't really have anything to do with age or years of experience, IMO. If he shows an ability to conquer the bigger moment and play to his capabilities during those bigger moments (note: not play *better* - just play at the level you and I, for instance, thinks he's capable)... I mean, that just doesn't feel like an age issue.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The inability to run an hurry up is irratating.

I think the biggest problem with Matt is his declining pocket presences.
    He is beginning to feel pressure that is not there
    when he does evade it his 1st priority seems to be get rid of the ball so you don't take the sack.
    We b*tch about vick not looking down field and just heading out and running
    Matt is worse .. . he don't look down field he just throws the ball away . . .

If Matt can improve his jumpiness in the pocket . . .the texans will improve

Rocket River

10. DonnyMost

I have no idea how you managed to split hairs between "improving/becoming better" and "showing up for big games", but by god, you did it. Bravo. That kind of mental maneuvering puts Clarence Darrow to shame.

Call me old fashioned, but for me, Schaub's ability to perform at a high level against elite competition, on a big stage, and/or when the rest of the team is not carrying their weight, is firmly rooted in his need to "get better".

And seeing how old he is and how many starts he has, I don't see that being very likely at this point.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Haha, after reading Hey Now's comments, I just assumed your head would have done this:

[​IMG]

and we would never be hearing from you again.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

well he looked shook in about 4-5 games this season and ive seen this guy fold in week 5 and a few other games that meant nothing.. some of us have been saying the things that others are finally admitting to now, for years.. schaub isnt a winner, i dont know how much more evidence or time he needs, hes 32 years old. he isnt a 2nd year starter with room to grow, hes done all his growing, now at his age its only regression. giving him another year is wasting time. hes not going to ever be that guy. he obviously doesnt suck, with this team, defense, run game, system, were going to beat the teams were supposed to beat, win some close games against good teams, but lose all the games to better teams.. it will be good enough for 10-13 wins a season.. thats schaubs peak, hes only a couple years away from being that old grey haired qb you see holding a clipboard behind the new young qb with unlimited potential..

you guys are so convinced that there 15 teams that would take schaub over who they have... then trade the guy to one of those teams, watch how quick that long list of teams crumbles...

13. TrillRocket$Boi

You are clearly delusional lol. We should not settle for second round appearances. You play to win and clearly Matt Schaub is not getting the job done. It is as simple as that. Before you make posts think about the team not your low standards for a football team.

1 person likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Unless I'm reading incorrectly, you're of the impression that Schaub's regression has a permanence to it? I'm merely contending that against scrubs, between September and November 2013, we'll see the same ol Schaub you and I have defended the past several years. No improvement necessary. They'll romp, win a lot of games and I'll start a "Schaub the ELITE II: Electric Boogaloo" thread.

And hopefully, that same Schaub - again, not improved nor better; same ol guy he was for 16(ish) consecutive weeks - will then show up for Baltimore, Denver, New England, San Francisco, Seattle and meaningful December games.

15. Hey Now!

I agree. What did you think I meant when I said, "I'm not suggesting we should settle for 10-12 wins and a second-round exit every year"?

Thanks, Herm Edwards. And how gracious of you to give Matt Schaub two playoff games to draw a definitive conclusion. He's 34-24 the past 4 seasons (28-14 when you pretend the defensive collapse to end all defensive collapses didn't happen in 2010) with a playoff victory and... he's not getting the job done? Would you rather have Joe Flacco? (Careful.... it's a trick question..........)

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

If you give me the choice of Kapaernick making no money for 2 years or Schaub for eternity at $10-15mil/yr, I will take Kapaernick every single time. Also, if my GM can find a Kapaernick for a 2nd round pick, then I assume he can do it again in the future.

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

As I said years ago: From the basement to the living room... Thanks Matt.

From the living room to the penthouse...He's not the guy.

Only chance is to go with Vick (if available). Give him the whole off season to gain chemistry with the receivers. He's familiar with the WC offense, so that is a plus.

If Vick isn't available, ...err.... curl up in the fetal position and cry. Seriously, I don't know man. I'm afraid we'll turn into the Chargers, a team who couldn't get over the hump and just wilted away. Once a young and talented team succumbed to injuries, free agency , and age.

1 person likes this.
  18. DonnyMost

I don't think it is regression. I think it is who he is, and probably who he was all along. His current and now plateau. When the going got tough, after 5+ years of preparation for his grand moments as a Texan, Schaub (relatively speaking) pooped the bed. Not once or twice, but several times. We had reason to believe prior to this that he could do it, but he didn't.

Although that's a masterful title, please don't start that thread. I can't take anymore of this.

Your optimism is admirable. I stood beside you for years, defending Schaub, waiting for that moment to come. And it did. And I ended up with Schaub doo-doo all over my little Texan heart. Schaub may in fact get another shot at the big time next year and succeed, but I am not betting on it anymore. If Schaub is to succeed and reach the next level in 2013, I believe it will come to pass because everyone else brought him there. I would love to be wrong, and to watch Schaub skeet-skeet-skeet all over the AFC and to the Superbowl next year... but I can't expect it to happen after what I saw this year. You will have to carry that banner alone, old friend.

[​IMG]

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

True, but do you believe the Texans have Steelers/Giants DEFENSE of those years? Steelers had top 1-2 defenses in those years. Giants in 2007 held their 4 playoff opponents to average of 15ppg. In 2011 held them to average of 14ppg.

Personally, I don't believe the Texans are capable of that. They haven't showned it yet for sure. Minnesota? GB? NEx2? Indyx2? And Indy isn't even playoff caliber, since they were so lucky this year.

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The Rookies that played in this years postseasons...all played better than what schaub did for both...so people really need to stop saying that he only had 2 playoff games ever...he has been an NFL QB for the Texans for 6 years...and has started 82 games...nervousness or not, he was mightily struggling since the month of December and did not find a way to turn he game on...he needs to spend this offseason getting his upper body stronger and working exclusively with the OL...they need to get back to being dominating... and Schaub needs to watch and study all the primetime games he played this year and how he can improve...

Kubiak also needs to relinquish the role of Offensive coordinator completely...he just needs to learn to manage the game...Matt and the OC needs to get a better game plan on executing passing routes(will be good if Martin, Lestar get a head start)