1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Is It Time to Move the NBA 3-Point Line Back?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jsmee2000, Jun 23, 2014.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Is It Time to Move the NBA 3-Point Line Back?

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/is-it-time-to-move-the-nba-3-point-line-back/

By Kirk Goldsberry

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Absolutely. Van Gundy agrees.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wouldn't this hurt the Rockets? We shoot the most threes out of anyone in the NBA.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

don't tell the "murray is wrong, 2's better than 3's" goons that the finals was between 2 teams launching 3's in force

One thing i notice about that spurs list, is that they move their midrange in several feet before they even attempt taking them.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This.

I can think of quite a few posters who really need to read this.

Turns out Moreys 3s, free throws and shots at the rim approach isn't so crazy.

6. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

What's crazy is why we didn't have any pure 3pt shooters on the team to support this approach. I guess that's Les's fault too?:rolleyes:

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Defenses will evolve to deal with corner 3s. And offenses will change accordingly. Dont punish the teams/coaches that figured it out. Let the defense learn and adapt.

8. Awesome

Awesome Member

Yeah move it back to like it was in the beginning.

9. Lefty

Lefty Member

I agree 100%.
    Let the game evolve on its on.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's not just the corner though - today's players are just vastly better at getting the ball into the basket than the guys in the past.

Larry Bird used to be able to lead the league with 90 3 pointers made. 90!

Steph Curry led this year with 261, with no drop-off in percentage from Bird, whose 90 FGM would barely be in the top 100.

#10 SamFisher, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think it'd be interesting . It'd also be interesting to add a 4 pointer, maybe another 5 feet back... but will never happen. There's interesting, but not happening.

I don't think "the game is changing" is a good reason to make such a change to the 3 pointer. If the game was getting worse and un-watchable, sure... but as they note, it seems to have made the game better... so why change it?

Isn't there a difference between "better" and "more", though? Not that it means that much... but seems to just be a better understanding of how to use the 3 pointer, not necessarily better three point shooters... though there is that as well, given how current players have evolved. Certainly Curry is as good as anyone has ever been at the 3.

The question is can defenses catch-up. Run off the three, pack the paint?

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have always preferred the model of a gradient of rewarded points. 0.2 for a dunk shot, moving by increments of 0.1 points to 2.0 at a 15-ft jump-shot, and continuing in increments of 0.1 points to 4.0 points at half-court.

[​IMG]

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think that's a distincition without a difference. I don't think it's just corner three's that are causing the top 3 point shooters today to be light years ahead of the past - look at Steph Curry's shot chart, he's good from every area from almost every situation (assisted, unassisted, etc). Today's players make and take more, at a higher percentage - I think that counts as better.

The reason is probably that they've trained for it in a way that players in the past didn't (no 3 point line in HS, college, etc for Bird or Magic...)

14. torocan

torocan Member

Silly argument in my view. I don't see many calls to raise the height of the rim to compensate for taller players.

The offensive game has evolved and forced defenses to evolve with it.

Now, teams aren't able to defend Everything and must make hard choices. Prior to the 3 point line it was simply pack the paint and force guys out. Now they must pick their poison against specific teams.

Yes, bad defensive teams get punished more. Teams with poor defensive balance get punished more. And teams that are not offensively balanced get punished more.

However, shouldn't that be the goal? Don't we want teams to create balanced rosters on Offense AND Defense? Shouldn't it be about MORE than just rim protectors and quick perimeter defenders?

Efficiency on the arc drops when it's defended well, just as efficiency at the rim drops with a good rim protector.

No, they shouldn't move back the line. It took 30 years for the game to evolve offensively. It will take more time for defenses to fully evolve to compensate.

And let's be honest, the game is faster, more fluid, and more fun when players have to defend the ENTIRE half court instead of just zoning up or simply doubling the ball handler on every possession.

Every defensive scheme should involve making trade off choices. If teams aren't defending the 3 point line well, that's not on the game, that's on the defensive schemes and roster construction.

1 person likes this.
  15. da_juice

da_juice Member

My thoughts exactly.

16. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

court should be widened and lengthened to open up space for more motion offense - and it would accommodate a uniform 3 pt line.

17. rudan

rudan Member

The replays/arguments would add about 2 hours to each game :eek:

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

What if we just switched the length and width of the court -- have any of you considered that? Basketball in a very wide, short court would fix most of the problems the article's author is complaining about. Or at least it would create enough new and horrific problems to completely mask whatever this author thinks is so bad.

1 person likes this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Maybe time to widen/lengthen the court. *smirk*

Take out the corner three . . .that would be the least visited part of the court

Rocket River

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It would be interesting to see how offense would change without the corner 3.