1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Courtvision: James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevC, Jan 23, 2014.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/courtvision-james-harden-and-the-amazing-technicolor-foul-shot/

#1 kevC, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

In the context of his article I think it makes more sense to group all guard and guard forward, and all inside players into two groups. Durant belongs with Harden as a "guard". Offensively, Durant plays outside in, just like Harden.

Not that it changes the outcome much, but it does put others closer to the top with James. Not "pure" guards... But Harden isn't a "pure" guard. He's more like Barkley in guard form.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Ugh he's nothing but a lazy chucker!!!!

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So lazy that all he wants to do is shoot free throws and take breathers ugh....

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good read. Thanks for sharing.

6. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Goldsberry has been noticeably harsh on Harden's play style... I think lumping Durant and LeBron in with him as outside-in player type throws off his narrative, which honestly seems to be "Harden gets too many undeserved foul calls". He's able to say Harden gets 3 more FTAs than any other guard like this.

7. JayZ750

Yep, exactly, thanks for clarifying my point.

It's like he says Harden gets free throw 38% of the time on his drives to the hoop near the basket... and no other guard comes close!! Except for Durant... Durant gets 37% but he's not a guard!

Well, maybe he's not a guard, but most of the time he is starting his offense form the outside in, like a guard. Durant's a much better 3 point shooter, and that's one of the distinctions between the two.

James Harden gets fouled more than Steph Curry? Really.. shocking! If you want to know what is really shocking about the article, its that Ty Lawson is #2 in "guard" FTA per game. He doesn't have the James Harden build to be drawing all those fouls

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's what you got out of that article? :)

9. REEKO_HTOWN

Lawson is a tank! Have you seen him play? he's like the NBA version of Maurice Jones-Drew.

That's my problem with Curry, he's a jump shooter only. He can't draw fouls and that is bad for a team trying to be a contender. You need to be able to draw fouls in the playoffs.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Loved the last line : "After all, some have argued this is a team more interested in “solving” basketball than it is in playing basketball. "

LOL :cool:

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I've noticed that Grantland in general seem to be turned off by Harden's play style. Zach Lowe loves "aesthetic" basketball so he'll post tweets like "it's not a sure thing Harden is an All-star this year" to appease his audiences. This piece in particular isn't putting him down but it does insinuate that he's gaming the system for benefit which will probably piss a lot of people off.

12. rocketblood713

So the people who hate Hardens game now have even more reason not to like him lol perfect

13. REEKO_HTOWN

Yet everyone loves Reggie Miller.

14. j3i

j3i Member

I really don't care about that last bit... "solving" basketball vs "playing" basketball.

If you're playing for fun, just play pure basketball. If you're playing to win, then you're a fool if you don't play every aspect of the game.

15. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Isn't that the truth though? Harden is even behind Lin in the ballot. Most likely coaches will vote him in. But it isn't a sure thing...

16. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He actually tweeted it's not a sure thing Harden deserves to be an All-Star.

17. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

In all fairness, Lowe listed Harden as an All-Star starter when he actually made his ballot. The point at the time of that tweet was that with the loaded guard cast out West (Curry, Paul, Parker, Lillard, Lawson, Conley, DragicBledsoe, the ghost of Kobe Bryant winning the vote) that considering anyone (besides possibly a healthy Paul) a deserving lock would be a bit foolish.

18. JayZ750

Fair point. I guess 5-11, 195 is beastly for a PG. And yes, of course I know he drives a lot, and isn't afraid of contact.

My point was just that it seems a little odd to group Harden at 6'5, 220 with point guards who the biggest of the bunch, tank-wise, is a guy like Lawson. I mean Paul George is listed at 6'8, 210 (though he's probably a bit bigger), Carmelo 6'8, 230 so only 10 pounds heavier than Harden despite the 3 inches in height), Durant at 6'9, 215.

So despite the fact that Harden is closer to the SFs of the world then the PGs, he gets lumped with the PGs.

And, tank build or not, Ty Lawson shooting 7.3 FTAs a game at 5'11, 195 is STILL the the more interesting statistical observation to me.

The "hate" on Harden's FT game seems to be one of perception than numbers more than anything. Even though this guy is trying to use numbers. It's not the numbers... as noted, Durant is right there with him, Lawson is close (but, but.. Durant is the greatest scorer in the game!!... yeah, he's a meaningful more efficient shooter from 3 and mid range... that's why).

It's that some of these analysts don't seem to like the way Harden gets his FTs... by confusing defenders who he then tricks into reaching, or getting off balance and fouling him. And don't get me wrong, I understand that criticism and it is fair at times, as at times it can look "ugly". But conversely, James doesn't seem to get some of those true true "superstar" type phantom calls you'll see a Durant get, or a Dirk get... despite the fact that someone like Dirk is usually trying to avoid contact. This is probably reputational. So for all teh calls he does get, he also has a reputation for "instigating" fouls, so he's not getting the somebody blew on his face type calls you see some of the "softer" scorer get.

I mean there was a year where Jerry Stackhouse shot 10.1 free throws a game. there was a year where Corey Maggette shot 8.5 free throws a game (where James is now). Wade shot 10.5 free throws a game one year. In 2006/2007 the top 4 players in FTA per game were guards, and the top 6 were guards or SFs.

19. blunto

blunto Member

Zach Lowe likes watching the Hawks and Spurs. I imagine that a highlight reel he would construct is a lot different than the type that ESPN runs, and I'd hardly consider him one to be fixated on aesthetics.

This article by Lowe actually praises Harden and his foul drawing.

20. TheJet

TheJet Member

I like that he noted that Harden's particular style of play tend to turn people off. I can see why since he's taking advantage of clear rules in his favor. Kevin Martin used to do this with his pump fake. Until they changed that rule. Then Kevin had to adjust his attack. I think we all remember how badly it impacted Kevin's game that first year it was implemented.

My fear is that there will be a rule modification that will have the same effect on Harden.