1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] Bill Simmons & Zach Lowe Rate the Rockets the 10th Best Watchable Team in the NBA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Obito, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Checked the 1st page didn't see it posted.

Rest of the rankings:

Phoenix Suns
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Toronto Raptors
    Orlando Magic
    Utah Jazz
    Charlotte Bobcats
    L.A. Lakers
    Boston Celtics
    Atlanta Hawks
    Dallas Mavericks
    Sacramento Kings
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Milwaukee Bucks
    San Antonio Spurs
    Denver Nuggets
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Indiana Pacers
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Washington Wizards
    Houston Rockets
    New York Knicks
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Minnesota T-Wolves
    Detroit Pistons
    Brooklyn Nets
    Miami Heat
    L.A. Clippers
    Chicago Bulls
    Golden State Warriors

Article:

Part 1: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9842281/the-grantland-annual-nba-league-pass-rankings

Part 2: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9842911/the-grantland-annual-nba-league-pass-rankings

#1 Obito, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lower than the Pistons, Wolves, and Cavs?

Interesting.

3. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

We aren't very watchable with Clyde + Bill Worrell + Dwight/Harden's free throw parade.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Bill Simmons' opinion on basketball is about as insightful as your average college roommate's.

5. AFS

AFS Member

The OP title isn't accurate. Simmons and Lowe were rating the best league pass teams. Pistons, Wolves, and Cavs will be fun teams and won't be on national tv as often. Rockets also have a kinda bad announcing team. So yeah, it's probably a better pick to have one of the teams you listed as one of your 5 LP teams for someone who isn't a Rockets fan.

6. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Lol, sounds like they could only take so much "Dwight" on LP. I wonder if they would rank us higher if Dwight wasn't here.

7. VBG

VBG Member

Awful announcing crew. Boring uniforms. 129031293021930812 free throws. Harden while great doesn't have that awesome supernova mode that Steph Curry or Durant have. Plus everyone hates Dwight right now.

Yeah, that makes sense. 10th is about right. We should move up as the season goes on.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

These guys are going to watch the Pistons before the Rockets, the Thunder, the Grizzlies, the Spurs. . . . I just inhabit a different reality from these people.

9. Wizardsonlyfan

opinions:elbows

but seriously, below bobcats? shiet

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah you gotta factor in our horrible announcers. They're not the worst in the NBA but they're close to it.

11. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

i'll still be happy if we're the least viewable champs.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Bill Simmons like watching Cousins but not Dwight. Cousins takes the dumbest shots shooting a horrid %, has the worst body language, plays selfishly and draws the stupidest fouls.

13. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

That makes him much more entertaining than brick-every-other-free-throw Dwight.

14. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

This is why you watch him or Javale, it could go either way in terms of being something good or completely bad that it is funny.

I thought we would have been ranked lower, 10 isn't bad. We are going to be living on the line this year.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Zach Lowe is an idiiot. How can one hate Harden?

16. VBG

VBG Member

Because he plays no defense and constantly flops to get calls. It's not aesthetically pleasing offense. It's efficient but I don't particularly enjoy watching someone run into people and shoot a ton of free throws.

Please don't call Zach Lowe an idiot. He's by far the best basketball writer IMO.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

What are they talking about? HOU fans loved watching the blue-collar line-up of Lowry, Scola, Hayes, Brooks, etc etc during those lean years.

We don't need to be watchable by non-HOU fans, we just need to win.

18. NotChandlerParsons

He doesn't. Just says that Howard + Harden = a lot of free throws. Which is true.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You don't particularly enjoy watching Harden???

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Honestly, if I were a fan of another team I wouldn't like to watch the Rockets either. Can you imagine how bitter non-Rockets fans would be watching Harden and Howard getting to the FT line every other possession? I bet there will be a lot of "Stern rigging the game" and "Harden get superstar calls" after we out-FT the other team by like 20.

One thing I find people outside the NBA may not realize is that Morey didn't come up with a system and then found the right players to play in that system. It's the other way around. The Rockets staff figured out a system based on their best players. And Harden/Lin were both heavy PnR/iso players in OKC and NY. Asik known for great screens in Chicago and nothing else on offense. etc.

The Rockets will have no problem adjust to Howard. Morey certainly didn't recruit assistants from all over the NBA so that they only know one system of play.