1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GRANTLAND] Bill Simmons: The Unfortunate Tale of T-Mac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 713, Aug 30, 2013.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

And thus, Kam inadvertently summarizes Tinman. Clutchfan's very own Benjamin Button

2. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

The desire to win and be a champion is the gene that T-Mac lacked that Hakeem didn't. Make no mistake, T-Mac was an incredible talent and even one that is not seen in today's NBA. (Personally, I don't think even Lebron could guard a 100% healthy and team committed Tmac). But, we never really saw that guy, we only saw flashes of him. He teased the crap out of us. He had the ability to be better than Kobe...hell, even better than Michael. But, he was never committed. Basketball was just an avenue for him to make lots of money, he never really enjoyed it or competition.

3. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Good point. People act like this incident happened in a playoff game during T-Mac's prime. It was already over at that point, just nobody realized it. It is no different than Olajuwon getting traded to the Raptors in my book. It is just a disappointing post-script that is ultimately irrelevant to evaluating his career.

A team's relationship with its star player is just like a marriage. It always ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end. T-Mac's departure was difficult and sad, but I can't come up with any perfect scenario where it wouldn't have been difficult. The dude's body was done. Our star player was no longer a star, and it is always hard to deal with it when that happens.

4. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

All that article did was make me appreciate Harden coming in here and trying to be the leader from day 1.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If he would only try to be the defender from day 1.

6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I devoured this article. Haven't seen another player who plays like McGrady since his decline. I wish things happened differently for him. His best chance with a healthy Yao came in his first year when Mac was pretty much the best SG/SF in the league and Yao was coming into his own. Poor guy couldn't catch a break.

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

No no. You mean that T-Mac gave his utmost, and the statements he made about being 100% were either mistaken or valiantly hiding the truth?

The problem is that T-Mac had the talent of Kobe, but not the will of Kobe, which is special, admittedly. But Kobe's will and Garnett's will and so on made T-Mac's look lesser.

Yeah, he was a smoother, nice player than Kobe. But if you're saying T-Mac was so broken down in Toronto that he was unable to do anything more, I disagree.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's just so hard to understand how T-mac went from being one of the best players in the league to a guy who couldn't even crack the rotation on a decent team in such a short period. Was his vert that critical to his overall ability to make a contribution?

9. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

Wonder read, simmons got this one nicely, for all the pieces piling on Tmac's retirement, this is the most insightful one. Only failed to mention in our second meet with the Jazz, Rafer was out for first 2 homecourt games. If he was healthy, I have no doubt in my mind we would have beat the Jazz in that series.

1 person likes this.
  10. Manny33

Manny33 Member

Yeah, surprised not more people are biting on the:

"T-Mac spent the rest of his prime awkwardly meshing with 7-foot-6 lane-clogger Yao Ming, a wonderful teammate and insanely hard worker who was probably the most overrated good player of that era. " :D

I'm pretty sure JVG is very complimentary about Yao Ming too.

TMac's problem seemed to be he wanted to be "da Man," but didn't bring the leadership qualities that it required. Unfortunately, I don't think Yao did either, not without want of trying; so JVG had to be the leader as he said. When people knock Yao, I think people forget the cultural and societal differences he endured. Dunking was frowned upon as I recollect in China.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you know what happened when Kobe didn't have a superstar center? his team would either miss the playoffs or got ousted in the first round. then he began pouting and demanding a trade.

and Garnett's will? LOL...it took him nearly a decade to get past the first round. he didn't have playoff success until his last year in Minnesota and with Boston. you know how he did that? with a great supporting cast around him.

T-mac probably wasn't the "leader" type and that's ok with me. some guys are just built like that. i believe he did give all he could when his body let him. it's too bad that during that time his teammates were little more than garbage.

1 person likes this.
  12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

LOL. I think you are dissing the Dirkinator??:confused::eek::p

err was it that he D'd up the Dirkinator?

#92 Tfor3, Sep 2, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  13. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yeah, I am saying that T-Mac was definitely not 100% at that point, no matter what he said. I don't think he was maliciously hiding the truth, more like self-delusion. There is no way you could watch Mcgrady in any game past the 2008 season and conclude he was the same superstar player.

Do I think he could have done more work to allow himself to become a better role player in his later years? Sure. But that has nothing to do with evaluating his career in his prime.

But when people talk about Tmac "quitting" in the Toronto game, they act like prime Tmac quit on his team in the fourth quarter of a close, series deciding playoff game. TMac never did anything like that.

But, you know who did? Mr. Tough guy, warrior, leader, alpha-male Kobe Bryant. In 2006, Kobe was leading a sub-par Laker team against the Suns (in reality, Kobe's supporting cast wasn't any worse than some of T-Mac's teams), and he decided to just stop shooting altogether in the fourth quarter, just to make some sort of point. Is that the behavior of a class-act leader that T-Mac should have been emulating?

Obviously, Kobe has had a great career. But the fact of the matter is (as others have pointed out), Kobe has never passed the first round when not surrounded by a stellar supporting cast. Same with Garnett. You put prime T-Mac on a team with prime Sam Cassell, another all-star like Sprewell, and a solid bench, and I guarantee you he will be able to advance.

14. Shakee

Shakee Member

But when people talk about Tmac "quitting" in the Toronto game, they act like prime Tmac quit on his team in the fourth quarter of a close, series deciding playoff game. TMac never did anything like that.

But, you know who did? Mr. Tough guy, warrior, leader, alpha-male Kobe Bryant. In 2006, Kobe was leading a sub-par Laker team against the Suns (in reality, Kobe's supporting cast wasn't any worse than some of T-Mac's teams), and he decided to just stop shooting altogether in the fourth quarter, just to make some sort of point. Is that the behavior of a class-act leader that T-Mac should have been emulating?

Obviously, Kobe has had a great career. But the fact of the matter is (as others have pointed out), Kobe has never passed the first round when not surrounded by a stellar supporting cast. Same with Garnett. You put prime T-Mac on a team with prime Sam Cassell, another all-star like Sprewell, and a solid bench, and I guarantee you he will be able to advance.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why when people compare Kobes "toughness/will to win" to Mcgradys they always omit when Kobe gave up in the playoffs?

15. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Everybody knows what TMac did and didnt do. I understand you might be still butt hurt about the that situation. But be advised the Rockets management didnt handle the situation right either.

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Wow I am reading some insane comments onn here today. From he quit in one game all the way to, he didnt have the commitment to win etc etc etc...... bwhahhahahaha

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

i know, right? i wish we had some more knowledgeable people on here.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I loved T-Mac as much as anyone. I went to his welcome to Houston press conference, I paid more than I could really afford for good seats at some of the games. I'm not stuck on the Toronto game. It was a long process that made me believe T-Mac was not 100% engaged. And I wasn't the only one. I'm not measuring him by wins, either. I don't care who Kobe/Garnett/etc. did or didn't win with. I'm telling you he does not have the will of Kobe or Garnett. That's it. His game was nicer than Kobe's. But his will was less. Do I condemn him? Not exactly: I think he is a good guy. But I did expect a longer, stronger career.

19. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Bill Simmons is an idiot. How can someone who virtually has no basketball knowledge become a popular basketball writer?

20. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I wouldn't say he has no basketball knowledge since he always puts research in what he puts out and is a avid, avid basketball fanatic. Just don't listen to him when he talks about the Celtics (homer).