1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grand Parkway Opens Feb. 8th

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mvpcrossxover, Jan 29, 2016.

1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

http://abc13.com/news/grand-parkway-set-to-connect-cypress-the-woodlands/1178690/

I don't live within the area so what y'all think?

Visualization
    [​IMG]

Living near southbelt area I have to say a little annoyed. I-45 down near BayBrook mall has been under construction for what, >5 years now?

When are they going to finish that part? I bet the Grand Parkway will be done before they even finish 45S.

#1 mvpcrossxover, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The issue with 45S was that the area out-paced the already planned expansions... and they've had to re-master plan the entire scope of the freeway. They should have done it all when they put in the HOV lane, and now they're paying the price... at least they're going to finally figure out the correct way to implement on/off ramps... one of the biggest issues in creating unnecessary (non-accident) freeway traffic.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Been waiting for this to open since I moved back to the area. Should've been open months ago. I've been making more trips to Katy and in the areas served by this once it opens so I'm looking forward to it. I've never really spent any time going to the Cypress area because it was such a headache to get there from The Woodlands. Even when my brother lived out there, we kind of avoided it. Seemed like it wasn't far but it still took us nearly an hour some days.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'm not surprised that the Woodlands area gets their chunk first- it's where the local money and power people live.

As for 45S- there are a few concurrent projects that run together there, not just one big project. The one close to Baybrook Mall is a 2.5 mile project that has been going on for ~18 months and should wrap up this year.

Check out txdot's website for a list of current and future projects.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I live close to Cypress, but I have no reason to go to The Woodlands. I've probably gone once in that direction on the past 12 months, for a wedding. So eh, whatever.

Once it connects all the way to 59 that would help when we make our drive to Livingston to see the in-laws.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My obligatory post whenever another portion of 99 opens up:

When I first moved to Houston, most people didn't they would ever finish the Beltway.