1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Graham Harrell to play pro football after all

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by TheRealist137, Jul 17, 2009.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=965701

good move for him I guess. The cfl is the 2nd best football league in the world. Much better than the arena league. The games are also entertaining, unlike Arena league(IMO). With only 3 downs instead of 4, the games are up and down and there is more passing.

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Worked for Warren Moon and Doug Flutie. We'll see if he can be anything more than a system quarterback.

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

in before flame wars

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

that's two out of thousands of cfl qb's. not a good ratio.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Good for him. It's where he belongs. Wish him the best.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was gonna dig up that thread about Leach complaining that Harrell didn't get picked. The one where he specifically singled out Stephen McGee. This story is retribution for that absurdity.

7. rocketier1

rocketier1 Member

Hmm I thought he was gonna stay at Texas Tech?

8. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

He has twice the capability to be an NFL quarterback than VY does, but yet somehow, VY got drafted in the first round? Does not compute

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Jeff Garcia as well.

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

only half absurd as I still think McGee shouldn't have been drafted either...or maybe A&M was just holding him down

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Why doesn't the CFL have a bigger following in the USA?

We love football.

They play their season from June to Nov.... right when we're hungriest for FB.

You'd think a second-tier league with NFL tie-ins would do great with some support here... you just have to make sure that you're not doing stupid crap like the XFL... make it a mini-NFL... undrafted players, practice squad guys, etc.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i've never thought about this before...but that's a great point.

with all the crap that ESPN puts on, wouldn't you rather have CFL football on there to watch? i definitely would.

anyone remember when there was a team in the CFL talking about relocating to Houston about a year after the Oilers left? that would have been strange!

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I always thought the Toronto Argonauts were a really cool team/franchise that would do great in the NFL in terms of a brand.

I guess the NCAA doesn't want anyone else horning in on their product.

The thought of a viable farm system league for the NFL that isn't masquerading around as an "educational" institution probably scares the p!ss out of them.

14. junglerules

junglerules Member

This probably hasn't happened because the NFL was sinking their money into NFL Europe for so long as a developmental league. Plus, if the CFL were ever to form an alliance with the NFL, it would probably have to change many of the rules that make it different and unique. (Larger fields, number of downs, etc.)

With that said, I think it'd be a good idea, but just don't see it happening.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I agree. Less absurd I would say, more so absolutely shocking and crazy. But he went in the 4th round, obviously he has the tools.

16. spence99

spence99 Member

If McGee ends up succeeding in the NFL, what does that say about the A&M coaches? They will really end up looking bad that they couldn't even do decent with a NFL caliber quarterback.

About McGee, do NFL coaches really do that much scouting, or do they have certain tie-ins with coaches? I believe the latter after McGee got drafted because he sure didn't do anything at A&M to warrant getting drafted.

17. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

All American Football League

They were originally going to start this year, but are now hoping to begin in February 2010. They already had a draft in 2008, and will feature some former NFL players, as well as a number of former college stars.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lots of great QBs come out of college with a weak NCAA pedigree (Tom Brady?). You can't just blame the coaching program. College programs run their system, they never readjust their system based on a single QB, they don't have the time and resources. And which coaches are you referring to? Fran who coached LT to 400 rushing yards and went and found Urlacher? Or Sherman who coached Brett Favre? Miami has had several dragons (ya dragon is the new beast) perform much better in the pros than in college. And yes NFL orginizations scout their asses off, there are no "tie-ins".

But ya McGee blew at TAMU. Although he could run the power option like a monster.