1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Graduation] Career Advices Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LegendZ3, Mar 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

So with summer graduation approaching, I figure a thread dedicating to career advices for the newly grads would be helpful. I hope those of you who have been in the industry for a while maybe can provide us some insights and experiences.

I'm a CS major. And from the interviews I'm getting, seems like the career path I can choose is one of the following:
    1. Application development
    2. Web-based application development
    3. Consulting
    3. Database management
    4. System administration

I have done web-based application development and database management for my internship. They are fun and challenging, but also can be tedious at times. I would think for young people like me, consulting could be a fun experience. Since you get to travel a lot, meet different people and develop your network. Plus I always enjoy the feeling to go into a mess, and then solve the problem and everyone's happy.

Is anyone here working in those industries? What is a normal day of work like? Do you enjoy doing it?

Thanks!

#1 LegendZ3, Mar 20, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  2. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

what kind of consulting you talking about? IT consulting is different from typical (Accenture/Deloitte) consulting.

That being said, I would go for consulting for the reasons you listed. You're too young to know what you want to do for sure... so it's good to get a variety of experiences in. It's also good to travel when you don't have any family obligations.

3. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Wangular management is where I'm at. Too bad that field just isn't jelafied enough. If you get in, let me know maybe we can kick it.

Today is a great day. March forward and let someone know you care.

4. LegendZ3

My friend is a consultant for Accenture, and he basically design, write, debug, and implement custom application for different companies. That's kind of work I'm looking for, providing custom solutions. The solutions can be vary. Let it be database, applications, web, security. I want to try them all!

#4 LegendZ3, Mar 20, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i worked in dongular insertions for awhile... most of yall's mothers were frequent clients of mine.

6. updawg

updawg Member

good advice

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Working for a company like Accenture or Deloitte & Touche is a lot of travel. Even for someone young it can get to you unless you're just built for that stuff. Just keep that in mind.
    You'll also be on-site a lot working with a lot of different customers. While this can definitely be cool, one thing you'll likely miss is the comraderie of working in a steady place with the same people. Since even when you're off you'll likely be based out of your house and not in an office. You'll see your 'co-workers' only at All Hands meetings and other company functions, etc.
    But consulting can be good for the resume so it's not a bad way to go.

8. LegendZ3

Thanks for the great info. I heard about the traveling. My friend is on the road 4 days a week. Is it always like that? How many month out of a year would a consultant be on a on-site project?

9. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

good advice

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

You should assume that you will be on the road the entire year. You will go to where the work is. Some times that might be in town. No guarantees.