1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grading Jalen Green SL performance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Aug 13, 2021.

?

Grade his performance.

1. A

72.2%
  2. B

24.9%
  3. C

1.4%
  4. D

0.4%
  5. F

1.1%
  1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, Harden had two SL stints his rookie year Orlando and Vegas
    9 games: 27.9 mins....2.4 asts.....14.7 pts
    4 games: 28.1 mins....3.2 ast's....14.5 pts

(Green 24 minutes per game)

Give and take here if you look at points, Ast's, FG%, 3P%......to mins of Harden vs Green SL

T FOR 3!!! and saleem like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Harden honestly has a odd trajectory for a career path. He had a gargantuan jump from his 3rd year to his 4th year when he joined the Rockets that most elite prospects don't make. People thought his trajectory was going to be all-star level player who makes some 2nd and 3rd all NBA teams here and there, not perennial MVP candidate and first team NBA type of guy.

I'm fairly certain that Green as of right now is considered a higher prospect than when Harden joined the league but obviously Harden has that crazy jump.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I blame Westbrook and his ego for overshadowing Harden and keeping
    him down. Even though they were friends growing up, Westbrook probably felt
    threatened by Harden and his potential.

It wasn't until the Rockets allowed Harden to spread his wings that he really
    took off. That and the D'Antoni system that accentuated the offensive
    positives. Those same offensive positives that allowed Nash to go from
    about 7 ast per game with Dallas to about 11 or 12 ast per game with Phoenix.

Wall is the Westbrook roadblock that Green faces now. Not until Wall is gone will
    Green achieve ultimate supremacy. Last Dragon stuff. Lol. Silas system will be
    great for Green and vice-versa.....great for Silas having Green.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yup. Scooter is good enough with the ball to go get his own shot and make things happen for the team. JG is the true SG. Until he can refine his ball skills he would be better served getting to spots and having his PG set him up. Wall is going to be on showcase mode. If JG is in the lineup with Wall he will suffer. I'd hope that they just start the year with the Vets (Wall/Ego) in the starting lineup and allow Scooter and JG to come off the bench so that they can start working on chemistry together feeding off one another.

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes and i suspect Green will do best during that overlap time with Eric Gordon since
    Eric Gordon is a much better 3-pt threat. Opening lanes for Green. Not so much with
    Wall/Porter....unless Wall and Porter have improved from 3 over the summer.

Verbal Christ and DeBeards like this.
  6. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

porter need to improve his 3 for sure, but as for wall, a veteran, he might be quite satisfied n stick to his style of play.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

He lit summer league TF up and never even had a game where everything was clicking for him although that third game looked like it could’ve been that game.

Even though I’d like to see him keep playing for selfish reasons, shutting him down was absolutely the right move.

A+

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He shot the ball really good.

9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Why are you assuming I think A means perfect? In terms of this poll, there was no higher option, so if you wanted to leave room for improvement B was the only choice….people saying “I don’t know what else he could have done A++”, that’s not an accurate description of his SL IMO.

He shot the ball extremely well, hence the numbers, but there is a lot to improve on when it comes to ball handling, decision making off p&r and defense.

Does that mean I’m not really happy with how he played? Of course not.

Corrosion and xaos like this.
  10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

he's box office. the type of players opposing fans pay to watch when they come to town.

11. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I can understand someone rating Jalen Green's performance with a "B", but "C", "D" or "F"?
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    Albert Einstein

clos4life likes this.
  12. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Even B I can’t understand. That’s just being a tough grader for the sake of being a tough grader.

Like when teachers would give you 95 instead of 100s on papers with no objective criteria. “I don’t give out 100s unless they are masterpieces” :rolleyes:

hakeem94 and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. Denovo

Denovo Member

50/50/90 Shooting Splits on 70%TS = a B?

I’m confused on the expectations here Lol

Was he supposed to fix every flaw in his game in the 10 days between the draft and summer league?

Deuce, white_dragon, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I guess you would give Giannis a B for last season since he shot 30% from 3, under 70% from the line, and turned the ball over 3.5 times a game.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Much of that huge (statistical) jump can be attributed to Morey and Mike Dan & Tony putting the ball in his hands full time. The entire offense being centered around him getting to the rim or generating open looks for wing shooters.

They were changing the game with that scheme .... The fact that Harden was able to do it with such efficiency is pretty remarkable.

Still .... screw that guy for leaving the way he did.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ultimately Silas should have fun mix and matching the facilitators with the screeners
    and find the best mixes and matches chemistry-wise.

Hope Wall can get back to his Wiz days and show off an ast%
    in the 40's. Everyone benefits if that happens....except the "tankers"
    who want us to only win 18 games instead of 42 wins.

DeBeards likes this.
  17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I'm not sure how Giannis' shooting numbers are relevant here? He is an established player who has been in the league 8 years. Green is still really raw and it showed. His ceiling is incredibly high, which is great, and exactly what we want, but he's got work to do. You never had that teacher that only gave out 2 A's in a class of 30 did you? B is not a bad grade, it just represents that there is still significant improvement to be made.

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Wait, you're saying Giannis isn't a fair comparison? Huh. It's almost like context matters when grading a player.

Your classroom analogy is on-point. At least, with what I'm saying. You don't compare Green to some perfect prospect when grading, you compare him to his peers. Here, the question was literally, "Grade Green's summer league performance," so the correct "classroom" is filled with rookie, summer league players. He was easily the most impressive rookie. Hell, I could make the argument he has been the most impressive summer league player, period.

Jalen is #1 in his class, so it's absurd to give him anything less than an A. And anything below a B is thoughtless contrarianism.

19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I didn't say Giannis wasn't a fair comparison, I just don't think comparing him to Jalen Green makes any sense. I can't grade Jalen against other summer league guys, because I literally only watched 3 summer league games lol. I am sure there were other guys who put up points and shot well in SL, but I wasn't basing my grade off comparing him to the other guys.

My grade was based off of how ready I think he is going to be to play in the NBA on day 1. So, his shot was fantastic. If I was only grading his shot then it's an A+++. I think there were other areas, like ball handling, decision making, defense and passing that I would grade as "needs improvement". Let me be clear, I wasn't expecting him to grade as an A in all these areas, that's an impossible expectation.

If my grade was based on how he compared to other summer league players, I am fine giving him the A, and I wouldn't expect anything less considering we invested the #2 pick in him.

Corrosion and fchowd0311 like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think that'll be his role though. He's not a primary ball handler, he's an off-ball scorer. He will need guys like KPJ or even Wall to handle those responsibilities and set him up to hit shots and occasionally drive when the defense is focused elsewhere.

I think what throws a lot of people off is that his super fans keep talking about Kobe or MJ when a better comparison is Klay Thompson. It's not a perfect comparison obviously because Green is considerably more athletic and nowhere near the shooter or defender Thompson is, but he's pretty close to that stylistically.

If he was going to be a primary ball handler, his ball handling, passing, and decision making would matter more, but he's not....at least not any time soon.

PatBev and hakeem94 like this.