1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grading Jalen Green SL performance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Aug 13, 2021.

?

Grade his performance.

1. A

72.2%
  2. B

24.9%
  3. C

1.4%
  4. D

0.4%
  5. F

1.1%
  1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A-. With a true PG on the floor he could be really dangerous, even at this age.

2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Was there any other rookie or second year player being double coverage?? They were acting like this guy was Jordan or Kobe......

3. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Yes, his name goes by cade cunningham.

Corrosion, burlesk and coachbadlee like this.
  4. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Deuce, Denovo, bmelo and 10 others like this.
  5. OkayAyeReloaded

For a 20 year old rookie in his first three summer league games it's an easy A.

Compare his numbers to all other rookies in SL this year, and also your favorite all time player's numbers in thier rookie summer league. But again these games don't count.

Now he still has work to do on his game of course, tighter handle, playmaking/passing, defense (defensive lateral quickness and strength) and building on his already gifted athleticism. Not sure if he works with a nutritionist for his diet also.

But most importantly as these games showed, focus on developing and resting/recovering his body to stay healthy and injury free through the course of an NBA season.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He's got a really good looking jumpshot, and he shoots with a tremendous amount of confidence.

The best thing about him is his free throw shooting, one of the best indicators of how well a player will shoot in the league. He shot a lot of three throws, at a 90%+ rate, and even further improvement to his g-league 82% stat.

The fact that he is as athletic as he is, but can shoot this well, is quite encouraging. His handles and playmaking definitely need improvement, but he hasn't given off any chucker tendencies at all so far.

7. dmoneybangbang

Solid B+ given the context of Summer League.

Offensively his decision making and handles were the glaring weakness.

Defensively he was decent man to man due to his athleticism but looked a bit lost on team defense.

Verbal Christ and Corrosion like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I remember Jeremy Lin schooled John Wall in the summer league.

(Sorry folks. This thread is officially turning into tinman vs LOFs thread.) ;)

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. MystikArkitect

A. Easily. My questions on him were erased when I saw how effortlessly his shot gets up. Those Zach Lavine/Beal comps were nuts.

Needs to work on his handles and not gambling on defense. But Sengun and him have good chemistry.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What team was that undrafted scrub on ?

coachbadlee likes this.
  11. GOOGOOMECHUCK

GOOGOOMECHUCK Member

Wall was with the Wizards but he was drafted.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Could have been better........if he was Kobe or MJordan (in their prime)

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Basically you are giving your perspective on a B and how fan bases would kill to have him influences your grade, cool. Others look at it a different way. There is not one answer so if you stop acting like you are the only one with the right assessment, I’ll admit you were not aggressive;)

14. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

If Joe Chee loved basketball half as much as most of us here loved basketball he would’ve became a serviceable player in the NBA. Unfortunately he had the fire of a wet towel rag.

“Don’t come back!” They said in China “Prove yourself in a real league!”

He was home within two years.

15. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

i voted F to pay respects

Corrosion likes this.
  16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I put B. I like what I saw. I loved his ability to score. He is as advertised a scorer. He obviously still has alot of work to do. He needs to rest his hamstring get it strong and work on his game in order not to aggravate it again. Defense Handles and leaderships are all things he has to work on. Hoping for great things from the guy but he definitely has a long ways to go before he can be the Rockets messiah.

17. jogo

jogo Member

Green has shown he's a great scorer. We pretty much knew that going in. I wanted to see if he could defend or play make and those areas need a lot of work. If those don't improve, then he's just a great scorer.

Also, others had said predraft something like, "Green lands funny after he jumps and that could be an injury waiting to happen." I think they even called out his landing on one foot. And then it looks like that is exactly how he got injured. He took a jump shot and landed needlessly on one foot and maybe tweaked his hammy. That might not be what happened but it looked like it to me.

ThatboyPhuong likes this.
  18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Was hoping he’d see it and go MJ chip on shoulder

I know you read this site JG!

19. i3artow i3aller

He gets an easy A in my book. Green proved his otherworldly talent and scoring ability during his brief SL run. I'm not overly concerned with his play making out of the PnR or need for better handles, defense and decision making. After all we must remind ourselves he's still 19 yrs old. I trust his work and wholeheartedly believe that the rest of his game will eventually blossom. Don't be surprised if that happens sooner rather than later. It certainly doesn't hurt that he looks up to Morant and views him as his big bro in this league. That's one hell of a player to have in your corner when seeking advice. And believe me if we're aware of his shortcomings then I damn well think that he is as well. There's no reason for Jalen to be close to a finished product at this stage in his development. Instead I very much look forward to seeing just how much his game has grown by age 22 and I already love what I'm seeing from him now.

[​IMG]

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

EZ A.

GLeague Ignite is the real deal and GLeague >>>>NCAA in terms of comp. If you can be an above average player in GLeague you will pwn NCAA noobs.

I dont wanna see any smack talk about how GLeague "plays no defense", "just scrub opponents" or whatever BS NCAA apologists spew. Have you seen Green? Just an above average 18 ppg in Gleague, absolutely destroy his peer group. Kuminga who looked lost AF in Gleague, scored like 36% fg and 25% from 3 also destroys his NCAA contemporaries. And this is SL, basically chosen few from NCAA. Kuminga has so far outplayed both Suggs and Mobley, both of whom looked like gods among men in the NCAA.

Green who only shot 36% in GLeague has shot better than Cade who shot 40% in NCAA.

#80 roslolian, Aug 14, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2021