1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade this years overall Texans draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by FLASH21, May 1, 2011.

?

Grades

1. A (Excellent)

18.5%
  2. A- (Great, not entirely satisfied)

36.4%
  3. B (Good)

29.0%
  4. B- (Pretty good, missed a few)

8.6%
  5. C (Okay)

4.3%
  6. C- (Eh subpar choices)

1.9%
  7. F (Total bust back to the drawing board)

1.2%
  1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

There's a ton of mixed emotions with how the Texans used their draft picks this year, especially on how they choose to use the 5th round pick on QB T.J. Yates, for some odd reason.

Well I want to get everyone's input and see how the majority of us feel coming out of it. Here are the picks in selection order:

1/11 J. J. Watt - Defensive End - Wisconsin
    2/42 Brooks Reed - Linebacker - Arizona
    2/60 Brandon Harris - Cornerback - Miami (FL)
    4/127 Rashad Carmichael - Cornerback - Virginia Tech
    5/144 Shiloh Keo - Safety - Idaho
    5/152 T. J. Yates - Quarterback - North Carolina
    7/214 Derek Newton - Offensive tackle - Arkansas State
    7/254 Cheta Ozougwu - Defensive end - Rice

As you can see 6 out of the 8 draft selections were used on defensive players. Not bad for a team on the verge of possibly making the playoffs only needing a defense that can at least be in the half of the pack in the league.

Thoughts?

2. msn

msn Member

ask me in two years. :)

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I would give them a B+. They filled some needs at DE, OLB, and CB with there first 3 picks. They didn't seem to have any "reaches". Who knows how these players end up. Kubiak and Smith were raving about Shiloh Keo so I am looking forward to seeing how he does. I had never heard of him before the Texans drafted him. Trent Dilfer and Ron Jaworski both loved T.J. Yates and think he can be a starter in the NFL. He played in a pro-style offense in college under John Shoop who coached many years in the NFL.

4. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I chose a B

I think we found some great value in round two, while addressing our 2 biggest needs at the same time. That round was as good as it gets in my opinion. The first round was safe as we all know, but I think Watt is the kind of glue guy up front that we need to get this 3-4 scheme on the right track (though a NT would have done the same...)

The later rounds I was less satisfied with. I thought we should have added some depth to our WR and OL after addressing 3 of our top defensive needs with solid/great picks. Using those middle round picks on yet another rookie CB, and a QB instead of adding some solid depth at other positions just didn't seem necessary. I'm sure they are looking at Yates as a replacement for a more expensive backup on our team, but I still don't like the pick....

Still doesn't drag the overall grade down past a B for me though

5. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

I'd give it a B to B+. We finally started to address the issue of our awful defense over the course of our first 3 picks. I think Watt, Harris, and Reed will definitely help us out this season. Yates being taken in the 5th round doesn't bother me very much. Keo and the others I don't know enough about them, but at the very worst they'll be competition for each other at their positions.

I'd say this is one of the best drafts the Texans have had in quite a while. Maybe it's the pressure of being more likely to be canned at the end of the season, but Kubiak/Smith/Phillips seem to have gotten this draft right.

It's all for nothing though if we don't sign anyone in free agency AGAIN. I have less than 20% confidence that our status-quo owner Bob McCheapskate and company will open up the pocket books, but I'll put my money where my mouth is and donate $15 to the tipjar if we do. Hell, everyone should if we actually do sign anyone noteworthy :p

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It seems convenient that so many of the picks were defense. It makes me think the Texans were reaching in some places.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I hate to say A+ but comparing past drafts to this one it's actually giving me hope.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A- Both Watt and Reed are high motor guys that can contribute right away. Not the sexiest picks but good picks in terms of getting immediate help IMO. Moving up for Harris was a good move, some felt that the CB talent dropped way down after him. Don't know much about the other secondary guys but it's good to see them address both CB and S.

I really wanted to see us pick up a big NT but Wade has stated that he likes Cody/Mitchell and he stoodfast on that this weekend.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have been very, very critical of the Texans. I think McNair is in la la land, Kubiak is a joke and should have been fired, and management should join him. However, this may be their best draft. It has to be due to Wade Phillips and his staff. So I rate the situation as encouraging. If the defense improves just moderately they should win five or six more games. However if the let Leech walk, their running game may tank. He was the key to it. So don't get too excited, stupid is still a big part the the Texans' modus operandi.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Only thought the 1st round pick was okay, but i thought the Texans got an A+ for the 2nd round. Overall, I gave them a B.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Don't see how they could do better than Mario, Demeco, and Winston, but if they can top that draft class it would be amazing.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Don't forget OD, pre-injury was a Pro Bowl tight end and David Anderson has been a solid contributor so far. Best so far for sure.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Spencer was a draft gem that was just unfortunate with injuries incurred. Owen Daniels and David Anderson were great for their location as well.

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Or it could mean that the front office recognized an area of need, and aggressively went after it. Just because we drafted heavily on defense doesn't mean we had to reach on any one particular pick. By all accounts in fact, it seems like the exact opposite is true. We actually gambled on the fact that Brooks Reed and Brandon Harris would still be there in the 2nd round, and the gamble paid off.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Don't feel the need to even give a number. Every year there are reports out that we have had a great draft and the rating on this board is always positive.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

We got an average of B last year and it turned out to be a disaster of a draft so far.

the higher the national media rates the Texans is the worse I feel about them.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Recognizing a need and going after it aggressively in a draft is a sign of reaching. The Texans didn't gamble that Harris would still be there. They traded up for him and the Texans have said he was the last of the corners. The Texans could have been incredibly fortunate that the best player available was always at a need position...

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Grade A-
    Otherwise an excellent draft by Wade Philips, but I would have liked a big nose tackle like Jerrell Powe in the 6th round instead of that project QB who will never see the light of day. More bodies on defense is better in the event our starting NT ends up on IR. I know Philips likes a leaner NT like Ratliff, but can anyone here honestly say they would rather not have this big boy here on the team if the cost is only a 6th round pick?

[​IMG]

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree with the wait 2 yrs crowd.
    Next year I expect the Defense to look Phenominal
    we have quite the cupcake schedule next year
    Anything less than 10 wins is a HUGE FAIL
    Winning 10 wins this year IMO would be a minimum.
    I think 8 games are GIMMIES.

Rocket River

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If all it took to get a phenomenal defense was to draft 5 defenders in 5 rounds then every team would have a phenomenal defense.

If that's what you expect, then give this draft an A.

But we didn't get Patrick Peterson or Von Miller or some other can't miss prospect. We're not going to go from the historically worst defense (literally the worst defense ever) to a phenominal defense on the backs of a bunch of rookies (only one of which was a first rounder).

I give this draft an F. Instead of actually going for best player available and potentially filling some holes through free agency, Wade treated this draft like he's a fantasy football hack.