1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the Houston Texans OffSeason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IronTexan93, Mar 17, 2015.

?

Grade The Texans OffSeason

1. A

25 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. B

58 vote(s)
    67.4%
  3. C

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. D

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it shows that BOB isn't fully confident in Mallett. He wants to make sure there is someone that he's worked with before backing him up in case he fails. Hoyer is absolute garbage, but he's worked with BOB before so it makes him a decent option at backup QB....but we're screwed if we need to use him.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And we're talking about a starting QB with two career starts; one good, the other... BOB likely does this, regardless - but if, as speculated, Mallett really did tear his muscle working out, it shows he's still a little inexperienced/immature and BOB is wise not to fully trust him (yet).

Hoyer is a total hedge. And he'll be among the better back-ups in football. Smart move, IMO.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't follow. Was he not supposed to be doing whatever workout it was that resulted in his torn muscle?

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Yeah. Seems a little silly to bring that into the equation.

You don't have to be doing something stupid and/or be made out of balsa wood in order to get hurt in the weight room.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

When it happened... Seth Payne (or maybe Ted Johnson... as I think about it, Johnson makes more sense, as you'll see) suggested that, generally, QBs are expected to take it easy on their bodies in-season; do enough to maintain conditioning and save anything with greater intensity for the offseason.

He (Payne/Johnson) went on: muscles don't tear unless they're being maxed out - so if he did indeed tear it while lifting weights, there's a high likelihood he was pushing himself too much. And, per whoever this was, "Tom Brady never would have done that." I'm likely mangling the quote; but it was absolutely a reference to what Brady would/wouldn't do, which is why it kind of stood out (and why it may have been Johnson) - the implication being Mallett didn't learn or heed an important lesson from Brady.

Anyway, it stuck with me when I heard it because I could absolutely see a gung-ho Mallett being a little overzealous while riding the high of his debut. And...... if any of that is indeed true... I can imagine O'Brien being fairly irked about it, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which: it would represent a fairly bad decision by Mallett.

(Welcome to a few minutes inside my head........ I hope you enjoyed it.)

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Wave 1 of free agency has come and gone and the savvy spenders have already been graded. Now, it's time to see how the general managers did on Wave 2, the second-tier of the open market where teams are truly able to round out their rosters.

Who got the best and worst deals this week?

FINANCIALLY SAVVY, WAVE 2:

1. Cecil Shorts, Houston Texans: Shorts is a wide receiver that has put up big-time numbers without the help of a quarterback before. At 27, the expert route runner signed a contract who will pay him a guaranteed $2.5 million over the next two seasons and actually pair him with a true No. 1 wideout? Yes please.

2. Vince Wilfork, Houston Texans: For a player who is still one of the 10 best at his position, and probably has at least one good year left in a comfortable system, a two-year, $9 million deal for Wilfork is pretty darn reasonable. It's also quite easy to navigate out of after Year 1.

3. The Green Bay Packers: Look, something has to be said about the fact that Ted Thompson has spent $0.00 over the course of free agency so far. Also, it's a good place to insert a stat we heard from good friend Evan Silva not too long ago: Julius Peppers is the only player on his current roster who has played a down for another team. Think about that for a second.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000479738/article/best-worst-values-in-wave-2-of-free-agency?campaign=social-owned-twitter-nflmobile_article_0ap3000000479738

7. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

All you can do is try to improve your team... I'm sure they would have liked to get some of the top FA's to address obvious needs.... But they didn't get "nobodies" and overpay for anyone ..(except maybe Hoyer).. A-