1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the Houston Texans OffSeason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IronTexan93, Mar 17, 2015.

?

Grade The Texans OffSeason

1. A

25 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. B

58 vote(s)
    67.4%
  3. C

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. D

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's hard for me to judge Wilfork. He's huge but he cost a lot and wont be on the field often. But if he consistently helps us keep teams to 2nd/3rd and long we may be able to create all sorts of chaos. I'm not sure if we overpaid for very little on field time or if his impact will be that significant. You might have been able to get a 2nd level pass rusher who literally gets 20%+ more snaps at the same price.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So fleener and Dwayne Allen are better options to throw to than Dre? Wow

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You know what, I'm just going to stop here because it's clear that this is going nowhere. This is just another instance of when we'll wait and see and the board will be shocked when the obvious happens and I'm right yet again. It's just like when I told all of you that the Texans weren't going to draft a QB in the first round of the draft last season and everyone thought that was ridiculous yet it was obvious.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. LOL, you seriously don't know that? I see why we have trouble seeing eye to eye now.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is absolutely true. Only Jerry Rice and Jimmy Smith had multiple 1000 yard seasons after age 34. I think that was the stat. However, plenty of guys had good years, and some guys in the Andre Johnson class had another 1000 yard season in them at 34. Harrison, Reggie Wayne, TO (had one at 34 and 35) Isaac Bruce (came close to two 1000 yards, but got hurt and fell 200 yards shy)

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No one said you didn't not say that

7. justtxyank

If we are only playing him on running downs then we are severely misusing him. He played 75% of the Patriots defensive snaps last year, mostly at DE. He stayed on the field for all 3 downs.

If we are taking him off the line on 2nd down to bring him one of our scrub try-hard guys, then that's just stupid. I could see resting him more than the Pats did, but no reason for him to be getting the nose tackle treatment that Pickett got.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Very true, some have had good seasons at or beyond 34, but how many of those were a 2nd or 3rd option on their team? Reggie Wayne's last 1000+ yard season he was the clear cut #1 WR, TO was the #1 WR too his last 1000+ yard season, same story for Marvin Harrison (though Reggie Wayne wasn't too far behind), same story for Isaac Bruce.

You just don't have 1000+ yard seasons for 34+ year old players when they aren't the #1 WR on their team.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I agree

10. justtxyank

The Colts throw the ball a ton. I could absolutely see them having two guys with over 1000 yards at WR. Easily.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They throw the ball a ton every year but haven't had two WR's over 1000 yards since 2006

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I wouldn't think that's by design, though, given Pagano and Hamilton's past. With Gore on board, I'm guessing the running game will increase in priority. Luck, for all his greatness, throws a lot of interceptions and the pass protection is not good. I'm sure they'd love to cut his throws down to 530-550-ish, which seems plausible (it's ~3-5 additional run plays per game).

13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I give them B+.

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This offseason :

1. We did not find any franchise QB yet, we are again throwing money to a journey man to compete with an unproved 7th rounder worth back up QB, judging by the contracts that the Texans offered, its a clear sign that they do not believe either will be their future QB yet.

2. Moore is a decent signing but Lewis is doing very decent last year in this position also, the difference? we need to pay more in the next season. Its a good signing but hard to see any excitement out of it.

3. Wilfork is a pricy gamble, he can work out OK - I can't hardly see anyone will use the word "great" on him at this stage of his career. At the good side, he can be a serviceable guy to fill this spot for 1-2 years, at the down side, he could be just Ed Reed. But the more depressing outcome from this signing is : what a disappointment pick of Nix it turned out to be?

4. Shorts again is another players we took a shot with lots of question mark, he still has some unproven potential but he got hurt very often. Did we have a guy named Posey just like that?

Overall,

the good news is we did not hand out some ridiculous contracts that can come with disastrous result, but I just don't see what the excitement is all about.

I hope the Texan will have a strong draft this year to fill lots of positions, but recent history is not in our favorite.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Do we know Shorts will be lined up exclusively as a WR2? I'd think his versatility was a selling point and that we'll see him lined up in the slot a lot, too.

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He may be able to line up in the slot, but I don't think he really did a lot of that in Jacksonville. I think a lot of assumptions are being made about him playing the slot. But he hasn't really played that role before and AFAIK the coaching staff hasn't said how they plan to use him. So it's all guess work at this point.

#56 Cannonball, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  17. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

To be "right yet again", don't you need to have been right in the past?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes....and I was. Pretty easy to grasp concept, why are you struggling with it?

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Eh, I get that. I don't hate the actual move itself and I understand the logic of why we did it....I just wonder if a 5.25 million cap hit is a bit much for a backup QB.

Could we get by with someone like a Matt Moore, Kyle Orton, Colt McCoy, Jason Campbell, etc. for less of a cap hit and spent that money somewhere else?

Remember, we're talking about a backup QB here.