1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grade the deadline performance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 20, 2014.

Tags:
?

Grade the performance

1. A

43 vote(s)
    14.1%
  2. B

113 vote(s)
    37.2%
  3. C

84 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. D

26 vote(s)
    8.6%
  5. F

38 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

So you gave him an F last year then? Me too.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am happy with essentially doing nothing, although I am an AB fan and sorry he is GONE AGAIN!!! The team is just jelling, so doing nothing is a viable option. If Parsons had been part of a Rondo for Lin and Asik deal, I would have been really angry. Let's keep our players together and see how far they can go. Even Asik chipped in last night. We might be surprised.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

B. Not a big trade, but not a forced trade either. This team seems to be fine right now. If we can win tonight, we are going to be in a good shape.

4. Toast

Toast Member

From a cap perspective, he didn't alleviate the pressure from either of the poison pill contracts.

From a talent perspective, he swapped the end of the bench for someone else's end of the bench. Both potentially better fits with their new teams.

From a chemistry perspective, at least now everyone can breathe easy. No awkward looks/exchanges on the practice court.

Overall: D.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

B-

Brooks is the gift that keeps on giving.

6. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Ehh, I'll go with a C for right now, assuming Asik will actually play (and play with as much effort as he should). If he doesn't and he's still pissed off, that C turns into an F.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

From a cap perspective, there are no "poison pill contracts"

From a talent perspective, he traded a reserve PG for a wing when the team needed another backup wing.

From a chemistry perspective, he didn't screw up the team chemistry with a stupid move.

Pretty rough grader don't you think?

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I wouldn't bash him, he's done a good job. But "not making the team worse" each year isn't necessarily setting the bar very high, is it?

9. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

In hindsight, letting Dragic walk for nothing was a major error on Morey's part. At the time, I advocated for accommodating his wishes and trading him at a later date, before the player option became an issue. We knew he was good, but honestly, I doubt many people foresaw Gogi leading the Suns into playoff contention.

Overall though, I think you have to give Morey an A, considering what he's been able to build here and the many shrewd steps taken to get here.

10. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I wanted to select AB to kind of pour one out for my homie.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Brooks is more useful than Hamilton. I hope cannan is ready.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Needed a shooter, and they were available and cheap, really surprised that didn't happen.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it's really easy to do though. There were a ton of people who wanted him to make a Knicks type move where he killed the team for Rondo. I'm glad he was smart enough to ignore those people.

14. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Lateral moves like this worked when we didnt have 2 superstars. But I'm sorry, if Hamilton doesnt give us anything this year this trade set us back. If this is the only season H&H remain mostly healthy, we've basically kissed our chances away at winning a championship.

15. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

C or B whichever you consider average

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL so despite the fact that we are one of the youngest teams in the league that has been together less than a year, they are in the position where they have to win this year? That's one theory.

17. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

But just because he didn't make a bad trade, don't mean he shouldn't be held accountable for not making the team better. Remember, Morey's the one who signed Asik & Lin to the contracts that no NBA wants now. At what point do we hold him accountable?

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think the team as is deserved the chance to rise to the occasion come playoff time.

Their performance then will determine what our next move needs to be.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

It was a good small trade to upgrade the bench. It's clear Morey didn't want to shake things up too much unless there was a great trade on the table. That's understandable; we're on a 9-game winning streak and we're just starting to see how good this team can be when they're all healthy and developing good chemistry together.

Fans need to be patient. Championship-caliber teams don't usually shake things up a bunch, especially at the trade deadline. Once you're really good, at that point it becomes about making minor tweaks to improve the roster without changing up the rotations too much.

Morey is trying to develop a Spurs-like extended run of success, so he's not going to make any crazy moves in a desperate attempt to win only this season.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lin and Asik are valuable members of the team, why should we "hold him accountable" for not dumping them? You're not making much sense.