1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gov. Greg Abbott announces he will push to pardon Daniel Perry who was convicted of murder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Apr 8, 2023.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

Less than 24 hours after a jury in Austin found Daniel Perry guilty of shooting to death a protester, Gov. Greg Abbott announced on social media Saturday that he would pardon the convicted killer as soon as a request "hits my desk."

The unprecedented effort, which Abbott announced to his 1 million followers on Twitter, came as Abbott faced growing calls from national conservative figures such as Fox News host Tucker Carlson and Kyle Rittenhouse, who was acquitted in the shooting deaths of two Wisconsin protesters in 2020, to act to urgently undo the conviction.

“Texas has one of the strongest ‘Stand your ground’ laws of self-defense that cannot be nullified by a jury or progressive district attorney,” Abbott said in a statement. “I will work as swiftly as Texas law allows regarding the pardon of Sgt. Perry.”

Abbott’s office did not return calls from the American-Statesman on Saturday seeking additional comment. The two-week trial, which included dozens of witnesses and much forensic evidence, was not broadcast. Abbott attended no portion of the trial.

Perry, an Army sergeant, was working as an Uber driver in Austin on the night of July 25, 2020, when he ran a red light at the intersection of Fourth Street and Congress Avenue and drove into a Black Lives Matter march before stopping.

Garrett Foster, carrying an AK-47 rifle, was among a group of protesters who approached his car. Perry told police that Foster threatened him by raising the barrel of his rifle at him, so he shot him five times with a .357 revolver through the window of his car before driving away.

Perry’s defense team argued that he acted in self-defense, but prosecutors contended that Perry instigated what happened. They highlighted a series of social media posts and Facebook messages in which Perry made statements that they said indicated his state of mind, such as he might “kill a few people on my way to work. They are rioting outside my apartment complex.”

A friend responded, “Can you legally do so?” Perry replied, “If they attack me or try to pull me out of my car then yes.”

A jury Friday unanimously convicted Perry.

State District Judge Clifford Brown is set to sentence him to prison in the coming days. He faces up to life in prison.

David Wahlberg, a former Travis County criminal court judge, said he cannot think of another example in the state’s history when a governor sought a pardon before a verdict was formally appealed.

“I think it’s outrageously presumptuous for someone to make a judgment about the verdict of 12 unanimous jurors without actually hearing the evidence in person,” Wahlberg said.

Doug O’Connell, who represents Perry, told the Statesman in a statement Saturday: “Right now we are completely focused on preparing for Daniel’s sentencing hearing. I visited Daniel in jail this morning. As you might expect he is devastated. He spoke to me about his fears that he will never get to hug his mother again. He’s also crushed that his conviction will end his Army service. He loves being a soldier.”

Travis County District Attorney José Garza had no immediate comment.

The jury deliberated 17 hours over two days before reaching the verdict Friday afternoon after an eight-day trial with dozens of witnesses. Perry didn't testify during the trial.

Foster’s brother, Ryan Foster, said Saturday that he didn’t think Perry should be pardoned. “This was clearly premeditated,” Ryan Foster told the Statesman. “He (Perry) thought a lot about it and planned on doing it. ... He wanted to kill a protester and saw somebody exercising their Second Amendment right.”

After the judge read the verdict to the packed courtroom Friday, Perry, 35, buried his head into one of his lawyer's chests and erupted into loud sobs. The jury also found Perry not guilty of an aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in connection to driving in front of another protester.

Perry’s conviction was instantly condemned by gun-rights advocates Friday night.

"(Gov. Abbott) this is an unfair conviction. Please step in and free Daniel Perry," Rittenhouse wrote on Twitter. “He was justified in defending his own life when an AK-47 was pointed at him and he doesn’t deserve to be in jail.”

Fox's Carlson decried the conviction in a two-minute segment on his show, referring to the Austin protesters as a “mob of rioters” who surrounded Perry’s car and began pounding on it. He said Perry fired when Foster raised his rifle.

“This is a legal atrocity,” Carlson said. “There is no right of self-defense in Texas.”

He invited Abbott on his show Monday to discuss whether he would consider a pardon for Perry.

Jennifer Laurin, a University of Texas law professor, addressed the portion of Abbott’s statement on Texas’ self-defense laws. She said that a jury is instructed to reject the defense when the person asserting it provoked the response, as prosecutors say Perry did when he drove his car into a crowd of protesters.

“Painting the conviction as rogue nullification is uniformed or deceptive,” Laurin tweeted.

Abbott lacks authority under state law to issue a pardon without first getting a recommendation from the Board of Pardons and Paroles, whose members he appoints. In his statement, Abbott said he already asked the board to review the verdict to determine if Perry should be granted a pardon.

“I have made that request and instructed the board to expedite its review,” Abbott said. “I look forward to approving the board’s pardon recommendation as soon as it hits my desk.”

Abbott typically announces pardons every year in December around Christmas.

A pardon would release Perry from his sentence and restore his right to vote and serve on a jury.Defense lawyer Rick Cofer, who was not involved in the trial, expressed astonishment over Abbott’s announcement.

“It’s what happens in Uganda or El Salvador,” said Cofer, a former prosecutor. “Total abrogation of the rule of law. And what’s even worse is that Abbott knows better. He was a smart Texas Supreme Court Justice. He knows this is legally wrong. Profoundly wrong. Pure politics.”

https://www.statesman.com/story/new...nvicted-of-murder-garrett-foster/70095504007/

2. astros123

astros123 Member

3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Why even have a court system or juries???

Nook, xtruroyaltyx, IBTL and 5 others like this.
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Embarrassing. There is evil and wretchedness in abbots heart. This state is an embarrassment with folks like him and the make a name for himself mifepristone judge

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Insane
    The "Law and Order" party?

Rocket River

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not surprising Ken's on board. Two peas in a pod. Texas lawmakers sure seem to have bias, and two sets of rights when it comes to black/brown vs white people, straight vs homosexuals, and men vs women.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The party of law and order and tough on crime is anything but when it comes to appealing to their base.

Deckard, edwardc and Andre0087 like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

ETA: I thought that was the longer interview I just saw on the news, not the :15 second version. Sorry. Here's some added text:

Former Travis County assistant district attorney Rick Cofer said the Governor’s move is premature and has interrupted normal justice proceedings.

“Daniel Perry hasn’t even been sentenced yet. He’s not even at this moment, eligible for a pardon from the Governor, even to apply for a pardon, requires final certified copies of judgment and sentence,” Cofer said.

Chas Moore, executive director of the Austin Justice Coalition, said he did not expect the jury to find Perry guilty and questions the Governor’s call to pardon.

“I think this signifies the opposition is using their powers to undo, unravel any type of justice that remains in the justice system,” Moore said.

#8 Buck Turgidson, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    Andre0087 likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny how all the Republican officials who don't know the case can claim it's a travesty of justice, but a jury of his peer can unanimously see he commited murder.

AleksandarN, Deckard, Newlin and 3 others like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

"To my friends, everything; to my enemies, the law" - I'm not sure who said this, but it basically sums up the state of the Republican Party today.

Andre0087 and rocketsjudoka like this.
  11. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

This is some 1950`s type BS here, this is such BS, the dude hasn't been sentenced and was convicted by a jury of his peers, if anyone doesn't see that this is all politics his hiding his/her head in the sand. I knew Abbot was kissing up to the craziness but this is a new low even for him.

AleksandarN, Andre0087 and dobro1229 like this.
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Sounds like premeditated murder. Perry should get the needle.

13. No Worries

Abbot is just the governor. It is not like he is lawyer or judge or some such ... oh wait.

Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  14. No Worries

No doubt. Abbot is soft on crime.

ROCKSS, edwardc and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

On his Fox News show on Friday night, Carlson called on Abbott to pardon Perry, arguing that the defendant had acted in self-defense – despite the jury rejecting that argument. Carlson even attacked the prosecutor by describing him as a “Soros-funded DA,” invoking the billionaire Jewish philanthropist whose name is often used as an antisemitic putdown by the right. Carlson declared that the verdict “means that in the state of Texas, if you have the wrong politics, you’re not allowed to defend yourself.”

Man, this Soros guy gets around, I guess the gop playbook is to say "Soros backed" for everything they don't agree with................I should have known Carlson is egging wheels on, I mean fox is the weaponization of the gop crazies............I guess we know who pulls his strings

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/10/opinions/texas-abbott-pardon-murder-trial-obeidallah/index.html

Andre0087 likes this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Embarrassing that loyalty to politics has made people not worry about rules and instead they want to pick and choose what and what does not apply to them. Our system of courts and justice is no longer trusted only because the party of law and order is angry at the current generation holding individuals accountable.

I looked forward to the @Commodore tweets like the predictable person he is to justify this decision by Abbott. I also look forward to the opinion articles that will be shared by @Os Trigonum . I also look forward to all the mental gymnastics that will be on display by our other conservative posters.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Money is out of control.

Rome is burning down.

Who can loot quickest to Mars?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Most definitely

Rocket River

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Protect our non-Soros-funded ice cream from Soros-funded pizza crusts!

ROCKSS, AleksandarN and Invisible Fan like this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Did the guy who shot at the uber driver get indicted?